MagLev C

darkwinters
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MagLev C

Post by darkwinters »

lepidolite wrote:Any rules about having magnets on the outside of the track in addition to the inside?
You're allowed to mount them on the siderails, but I'm not sure about the actual outside of the track.
joeyjoejoe
State: GA

Post by joeyjoejoe »

Not sure about the benefit but I don't see anything in the rules that would prohibit it.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

lepidolite wrote:Any rules about having magnets on the outside of the track in addition to the inside?
Actually, I would be careful about doing this - the rules say that you can only let propellers and their casing extend outside the rails, so putting magnets on the outside would probably be a violation.
joeyjoejoe

Post by joeyjoejoe »

3.e refers only to the vehicle not the track.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Excuse me, I misunderstood the question...then, I would assume that you be allowed to do this, but as joeyjoejoe said, there wouldn't really be any benefit, so far as i can see. You can't have any part of the vehicle on the outside of the track that external magnets would react with, so...
joeyjoejoe

Post by joeyjoejoe »

I wonder if it is an attempt to prevent/limit side rail contact? If so, I'll save you some time.... It won't work.

But, who knows, it might be some clever idea borne out of a need many of us have had. I'd hate to stifle any creativity. I think it is probably too late to get a clarification on this though.
4science
Division: B

MagLev C Cage?

Post by 4science »

Does the Cage around the propeller count towards the 20 cm max height?
ct1223
State: OH

Post by ct1223 »

darkwinters wrote:
You're allowed to mount them on the siderails, but I'm not sure about the actual outside of the track.
Our B team used side magnets on the track and they didn't get penalized. The only effect it had was to speed up the maglev. I think they got like 2 seconds with that on their runs with a 1.955 kg vehicle. And also, the vehicle itself could move without using the propeller, it just needed a small boost at the beginning. If you're good at the test, you can get away with a 2 second run with a near 2k vehicle mass, but a terrible time score, and still place, just that you wouldn't place 1st.
Maglev, Circuit Lab, TPS, ELG, Designer Genes
darkwinters
State: IL

Post by darkwinters »

ct1223 wrote:
darkwinters wrote:
Our B team used side magnets on the track and they didn't get penalized. The only effect it had was to speed up the maglev. I think they got like 2 seconds with that on their runs with a 1.955 kg vehicle. And also, the vehicle itself could move without using the propeller, it just needed a small boost at the beginning. If you're good at the test, you can get away with a 2 second run with a near 2k vehicle mass, but a terrible time score, and still place, just that you wouldn't place 1st.
Wouldn't it probably be safer to make a cart that clocks in at ~10 seconds?
JTMess

Post by JTMess »

To anyone using ducted fans in their vehicles this year, where are you purchasing the fans from? My teammate and I have found that ducted fans are sold out, discontinued, or simply unavailable from almost all retailers.
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st

Return to “2014 Build Events”