MagLev C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

MagLev C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
GeoChamp96
Division: C
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Re: MagLev C

Post by GeoChamp96 »

So, it says in the rules that the vehicle must hit a target time between 5 and 15 seconds for 95cm. This may just be me being relatively inexperienced, but how are you supposed to slow down the run time without changing the mass of the vehicle? That seems kind of impossible...
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

GeoChamp96 wrote:So, it says in the rules that the vehicle must hit a target time between 5 and 15 seconds for 95cm. This may just be me being relatively inexperienced, but how are you supposed to slow down the run time without changing the mass of the vehicle? That seems kind of impossible...
I don't see anything in the rules prohibiting you from changing the mass of the vehicle....

And there are lots of other ways to approach this problem. A couple ideas off the top of my head (and by no means exhaustive): adjust the speed of the propeller, adjust the pitch of the propeller, change the direction of thrust relative to motion, partially block the intake to the propeller, induce some friction with the siderails.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

A very easy way to do this: potentiometer. Done and done.
JTMess
State: NY

Post by JTMess »

GeoChamp96 wrote:So, it says in the rules that the vehicle must hit a target time between 5 and 15 seconds for 95cm. This may just be me being relatively inexperienced, but how are you supposed to slow down the run time without changing the mass of the vehicle? That seems kind of impossible...
I must say that I'm very disappointed with this change in the rules. I think going for a target time really takes the "racing" spirit out of the event.
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

I think that was the idea :P

Admittedly, it's not as exciting now, but still interesting.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
FawnOnyx
State: MN

Post by FawnOnyx »

I in general like the changes they made, such as guards for propellers, and no need to go for the most power or mass. I do think that 5 to 15 seconds is a really slow target time range to move a max 2kg maglev just a meter though.
twototwenty wrote:A very easy way to do this: potentiometer. Done and done.
I'm not sure, but wouldn't this cause heat dissipation problems when you resistively current limit the motor? I think most pots are rated for 1/4-1/2 watts, so even for 15 seconds wouldn't it overheat and blow?
Mounds View Science Olympiad Alumnus, 2011-2014
MIT Science Olympiad Volunteer
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

Most pots don't have the power rating for this event, but some are rated for much high power. Just remember, it's not the power from the motor, it's the power that's lost in the resistor, they're typically a large difference.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

It seems to me that while precisely meeting the time will be challenging without the danger, the magnetic levitation is now just a formality instead of an advantage when working properly, as I am pretty sure from experience last year that one could make 5 seconds sitting on the floor with a decent motor and prop combo.
GeoChamp96
Division: C

Post by GeoChamp96 »

JTMess wrote:
I must say that I'm very disappointed with this change in the rules. I think going for a target time really takes the "racing" spirit out of the event.
I agree that the event isn't quite as exciting as it was last year, but it was kind of necessary. The rich teams had a huge advantage and the teams with smaller budgets were kind of stuck.

This way, you don't just go and buy the biggest 9V motor you can find and run it with 3000mAh LiPo

Return to “2014 Build Events”