MagLev C

MC2131
Division: C
State: GA

Re: MagLev C

Postby MC2131 » February 17th, 2014, 10:39 am

What are some examples of stopping systems as indicated in rule 3l? Is it fine just to consider a cushioned barrier a stopping system on the track?

SGU220
State: CA

Postby SGU220 » February 17th, 2014, 11:13 am

First it would help to know more about your tracks magnet configuration. I am going to assume you have the same polarity on both sides of your track and car. This configuration allows the car to travel down the track in both directions with no modifications.
Look very closely at what parts of the magnets are "sticking". If its the face of the magnets (necessarily a same-polarity contact), then its probably just due to the fact that the magnetic repulsion isn't strong enough-something we have all seen with the strip magnets. I guess it could be related to the steel on your track. I don't know the specifics of your track configuration but would recommend you switch to aluminum if at all possible.
If the magnets are sticking due to an extreme tilt then you need to lower the center of gravity of your car, add weight (again, with strip magnets, I doubt this is the issue) or adjust your side guides to help minimize the tilt.
I looked at various other tracks and it seemed like they all used opposite polarity strips. I used this guide which was posted on the Science Olympiad website: http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... rsion3.pdf
However, using same polarities makes sense to me. Do you think it would be worth it to switch at his point? Regionals are next weekend.

joeyjoejoe
State: GA

Postby joeyjoejoe » February 17th, 2014, 2:50 pm

I looked at various other tracks and it seemed like they all used opposite polarity strips. I used this guide which was posted on the Science Olympiad website: http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... rsion3.pdf
However, using same polarities makes sense to me. Do you think it would be worth it to switch at his point? Regionals are next weekend.
I'd say it's kind of dangerous. You probably have data with your new track which would probably change if you made major modifications to it.

I'm not even sure that I understand rule 3j to be honest with you:
..."Vehicles must be able (or modifiable during the testing time) to travel in either direction"
Makes sense.
The next sentence is:
"Teams are permitted to rotate the track"

Sounds to me like if you had an opposite polarity configuration and they wanted you to go down the track in the direction that would prevent travel, you could just rotate the track. Seems like the second part of 3j negates the need for the first part.

darkwinters
State: IL

Postby darkwinters » February 17th, 2014, 9:50 pm

I'd say it's kind of dangerous. You probably have data with your new track which would probably change if you made major modifications to it.

I'm not even sure that I understand rule 3j to be honest with you:
..."Vehicles must be able (or modifiable during the testing time) to travel in either direction"
Makes sense.
The next sentence is:
"Teams are permitted to rotate the track"

Sounds to me like if you had an opposite polarity configuration and they wanted you to go down the track in the direction that would prevent travel, you could just rotate the track. Seems like the second part of 3j negates the need for the first part.
That was my thinking, as well.

Does the fan duct count in the 22 cm length limit?

SGU220
State: CA

Postby SGU220 » February 20th, 2014, 4:46 pm

For the 1/4" dowel, does that mean 1/4" diameter or 1/4" radius?

darkwinters
State: IL

Postby darkwinters » February 20th, 2014, 4:53 pm

For the 1/4" dowel, does that mean 1/4" diameter or 1/4" radius?
Diameter.

The idea is basically making sure that just about nobody can stick their finger in and touch the propeller.

In seriousness I have absolutely no idea as to why it is that they didn't do this last year.

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby chalker » February 20th, 2014, 7:17 pm

In seriousness I have absolutely no idea as to why it is that they didn't do this last year.
That's easy to answer - it didn't occur to us that teams would have propellers spinning at such high speeds and force to be that dangerous. During the previous years of having this as a trial event we didn't see designs like that.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

CHackett
State: MO

Postby CHackett » February 22nd, 2014, 7:41 pm

Isn't rule 6b in conflict with rule 6c? If a team's vehicle doesn't successfully run, do they get a mass score of 0 or -5?

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby chalker » February 23rd, 2014, 7:50 am

Isn't rule 6b in conflict with rule 6c? If a team's vehicle doesn't successfully run, do they get a mass score of 0 or -5?
6.c. could be a little clearer, but essentially if you don't attempt or move at all you are going to get -5 points. If you move a bit, you'll get 0 points. The scoring rubic referenced in rule 6 is setup that way.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

lepidolite
State: IA

Postby lepidolite » February 25th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Any rules about having magnets on the outside of the track in addition to the inside?

Return to “2014 Build Events”