Robo-Cross B

goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Robo-Cross B

Post by goodcheer »

Olympus1701 wrote:Hey, I have a Lego NXT Brick, a Hi-Technic Samantha Module, and Hi-Technic motor controllers. All of these are frome the FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC). Anyone know if these are allowed in Robo-Cross? If anyone is in FTC, please let me know if the FTC game controllers are allowed. Thanks all.
These should pass as long as they meet all the construction parameters such as: kits must have at least one functional modification, voltage limited to 14.4 volts for each circuit in the robot and 14.4 for the controller(s), frequencies for radio controlled surface devices limited as per website (www.soinc.org/robo-cross_b), etc.

Some years ago, RadioShack sold the Vex Robot Kit which has been used successfully in past Science Olympiad robot events. There are quite a few YouTube videos showing examples. It is my understanding the components allowed in FTC which you listed are similar to the ones used in the older Vex models.
treeling
Division: C
State: CO
Been thanked: 0

Post by treeling »

UQOnyx wrote:Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a claw? I tried making a pincer-like claw, like two fingers, but that didn't work very well. I was thinking of making a claw like the shovel on an excavator, except two ways, so it would be like two shovels opposing each other, or something like that, like those claw prize machine thingies. Does anyone have any ideas on how to implement that?
You can use the claw by Vex. It comes with "Vexplorer" but I don't know if the sell that kit any more.
Check out this website to see what "THE CLAW" looks like. :)

http://robomatter.com/Shop-By-Robot/VEX ... X-Claw-Kit
2016 Scores
PMS Inv/Reg/State

Bio-Process 2/1/5
Disease 2/1/1
Invasive 1/1/1
Mission Possible -/1/1
Picture This 2/1/3

2017 Scores
Reg/State

Disease -/-
Invasive -/-
Robot Arm -/-
WIDI -/-
Beastybob12345
State: CA

Post by Beastybob12345 »

My team may not be doing Robo-Cross at one of our invites, because we don't have anything to build with. But I was thinking,(if anyone knows what Lego Mindstorms is) I will use Lego Mindstorms and just use Bluetooth to connect one of my tablets/laptop to the robot I build. I've tested it out and it works, so I'll suggest that to my partner.
[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcJRzoptYVlOdlPSHbLzFc37EVfbeQWvdCIdwEGVnkZvhxLbKBqA[/img]
Me----> Image

NorCal Science Olympiad is AWESOME!!!

Crazy
State: FL

Post by Crazy »

May we use a complete remote controlled car that is pre-built, then attach a claw kit of some sort, and still be within the guidelines? Wouldn't the addition of the claw be a modification? Without the car, the claw can't move. Without the claw, the car can't be successful? Thanks for you time! -Crazy
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Sorry, you aren't going to get an unambiguous answer on this forum, and probably not on the national site to that question.

First, those who know or contribute to the official FAQs and clarifications that frequent this forum won't answer because what we say here isn't enforceable. This isn't an official site.

Second, the national clarification team rarely will say if a specific proposal is OK or not because they can't see it. The words may sound good or bad, but the reality can be the opposite.

With all those caveats, sounds like you have a pretty clear answer based on the rules to give an ES if challenged. Which is what every competitor (note, I didn't say coach) should be able to do if they are going to push the edges of the rules.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
UQOnyx
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by UQOnyx »

Crazy wrote:May we use a complete remote controlled car that is pre-built, then attach a claw kit of some sort, and still be within the guidelines? Wouldn't the addition of the claw be a modification? Without the car, the claw can't move. Without the claw, the car can't be successful? Thanks for you time! -Crazy
I am pretty much in the same boat. My arm is made from scratch from fiber-glass, and we will probably use a hobby grade r/c car skeleton that is stripped down for the vehicle side.
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

I know the voices aren't real, but they have some great ideas..
kogut
State: CA

Post by kogut »

Same here. I'm a volunteer coach a little late to the game and the school doesn't have the budget to spring for the full ~$400+ VEX and/or Mindstorm kits. Those also tend to have long lead times, from what I can tell.

The next best thing appears to be a turnkey R/C product with a modification along the lines of a custom servo-actuated collection container and/or custom "collector" - like your arm.

I believe this to be in the spirit of the competition, and is probably the route we'll take.
Olympus1701
State: NY

Post by Olympus1701 »

Hey, for anyone in FTC (FIRST Tech Challenge). Do you know if the controllers we use are allowed?
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness"-Aristotle
Olympus1701
State: NY

Post by Olympus1701 »

Any ideas on how to set the bonus jug upright?
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness"-Aristotle
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

See www.soinc.org clarifications page, many recent answers to your questions posted there, and they are official there!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “2014 Build Events”