Robo-Cross B

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Robo-Cross B

Post by jander14indoor »

Expect differences. Playfield likely to be the same, different objects, minor rule tweaks based on FAQs.

Given the number of perfect scores we're seeing at state level, and I'm worried I'll see at national level, I'd expect something to be done to try to make it a little harder.

Maybe not till state or national level, but something. I have good tie breakers (we actually had to use weight for the Michigan tournament to separate 2nd and 3rd) but I don't like to depend on them.

But don't expect details until next year. As usual, my recommendation is that if you can do well with this years rule, you are well on the way to doing well next year.

Regards,
Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
1nxtmonster
Division: B
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by 1nxtmonster »

jander14indoor wrote:Yeeeaahhh...
Don't get me started.

That kind of ES might have something to do with why I'm so involved with SO now when my kids are out of college. Might even explain how my daughter got started on the path to being a national event supervisor.

In their defense though, they are all hard working volunteers giving freely of their time. Recognize their service and that they are doing things with the best of intentions. My thanking that ES of years ago and volunteering to help was the second step on the road to where I am now.

And that also is one of the many reasons I make sure to warn people that what I say is NOT official.

Don't forget, there is always an appeal process. As a tournament director, while I dread appeals, I try not to discourage them, and we always investigate them carefully. They are the only way to make something change if needed. Your appeal may be rejected, but it will be noted.

And yes, I still haven't answered your question directly, for all the reasons noted. Of course there is nothing stopping you from submitting a FAQ to http://www.soinc.org and getting an official answer that will be binding at nationals and most lower tournaments. Unless closed for the year. I'm not sure when they'll cut them off.

Regards,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Thanks. I submitted an official FAQ a few days ago, haven't seen any answers yet.
oshaughnessy
State: OH

Post by oshaughnessy »

ThatRoboGuy wrote:Ohio State Competition
We took third with a score of about 1:46. Our best time in practice was 1:15, but we had some flub-ups.
Nice job!

There were at least 8 perfect scores in State competition in Ohio. (I know because my team finished 8th). For the sake of competition and learning, I hope that there are significant changes to the event next year.
MustangSciOly11
State: CA

Post by MustangSciOly11 »

oshaughnessy wrote:
We took third with a score of about 1:46. Our best time in practice was 1:15, but we had some flub-ups.
Nice job!

There were at least 8 perfect scores in State competition in Ohio. (I know because my team finished 8th). For the sake of competition and learning, I hope that there are significant changes to the event next year.

There were at least 9 perfect scores at State in SoCal. I agree with the previous post. Significant changes need to take place next year with this event to make it more challenging. Wondering how many perfect scores we'll see at nationals. There will be many!
abby1kanobe
State: TN

Post by abby1kanobe »

What about taking points and dividing by time?? Add some strategy.

183(points)/45(seconds) x 100= 406.6 point
173/45=384.4 points
163/45=362.2 points

183/60= 305.0 points
173/60=288.3 points
163/60=271.6 points

183/120=152.5 points
173/120=144.1points
163/120=135.8 points

If you had an isanly fast bot but couldnt get all point you could still win with an example of:

170 points/25 seconds x 100 = 680.00 points

What do you think of an idea like that??
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Interesting idea, my concern would be that such an approach would start driving crazy expensive bots. Speed costs money!

I was really impressed with one bot at the MI state tournament this year. VERY low cost approach, got a perfect score tied for second on time, went to third tiebreaker for weight, got second place medal.

Believe it or not, it was as simple RC chassis with that really cheap yellow and black robot arm mildly souped up, a few really clever attachments and a lot of practice. Less than $100 in materials.

I'm more tempted to add harder to pickup objects, perhaps a more difficult bonus jug.

But keep the ideas coming.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
1nxtmonster

Post by 1nxtmonster »

I guess that every robocross boils down to a kit of some kind, whether it be in the form of the electronics or the frame. I just wish teams who slapped together two preexisting kits would have to put more time into it.
Last edited by 1nxtmonster on May 4th, 2014, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThatRoboGuy
Division: C
State: OH

Post by ThatRoboGuy »

jander14indoor wrote:Interesting idea, my concern would be that such an approach would start driving crazy expensive bots. Speed costs money!

I was really impressed with one bot at the MI state tournament this year. VERY low cost approach, got a perfect score tied for second on time, went to third tiebreaker for weight, got second place medal.

Believe it or not, it was as simple RC chassis with that really cheap yellow and black robot arm mildly souped up, a few really clever attachments and a lot of practice. Less than $100 in materials.

I'm more tempted to add harder to pickup objects, perhaps a more difficult bonus jug.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Saw something like this. Bothers me a little.
It was, quite literally, an RC car (glow in the dark wheels still attached) with an arm straight from a kit duct taped on. My younger brother owns that actual kit.
Very minor modifications to the kit/car, if any. Is it legal?
Here to help
1nxtmonster

Post by 1nxtmonster »

jander14indoor wrote:Interesting idea, my concern would be that such an approach would start driving crazy expensive bots. Speed costs money!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
I like robocross the way it is, but I agree that it is just coming down to speed at this point. Maybe there could be a system where there are 3 bonus jugs: one small, one medium, and one large. The small one is worth the most points, the medium worth the next most, and the large worth the least. However, the small one is so small that you can't fit everything inside of it, possibly small enough to fit just a few batteries and lego bricks. If teams have the precision to stack all objects in the small bin then good for them. But hopefully it will come down to strategy of what objects go where.
fudgecake6

Post by fudgecake6 »

1nxtmonster wrote:
Wow, I hope PA isn't that competitive.
PA was not this competitive as me and my partner had a perfect score at 1:48 and we had first. Looking at all these ridiculous times on the forum, after we finished me and my partner were not even sure if we would get a medal.

Return to “2014 Build Events”