Rotor Egg Drop B

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rotor Egg Drop B

Post by jander14indoor »

Probably not very good aerodynamically, those rotors are too fat and too close, will interfere with each other and reduce efficiency a lot. Probably more efficient design is two or more counter-rotating rotors of 2-6 much thinner blades leaving a lot of space between them. I'd also consider making the blades more aerodynamic and 'wing' like. You'll have to play with the pitch to get that right.
On the heavy side with that big styrofoam cup. It can be replaced with a couple of strings, save weight and save rotating mass.
Look at the rotors they are using in the Helicopter Duration event.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
TrueshotBarrage
Division: C
State: AL
Been thanked: 0

Post by TrueshotBarrage »

Thank you for the speedy reply. I was planning to use strings instead. Do you know what kind of material I can use for the wings? I was thinking maybe condenser paper, but I can't seem to find it.
2015 Regionals
It's About Time - 3rd
Compound Machines - 1st
2015 States
Bridge Building - 3rd

2016 Regionals
It's About Time - 1st
Air Trajectory - 1st
Bozongle
Division: B
State: IN

Post by Bozongle »

TrueshotBarrage wrote:Thank you for the speedy reply. I was planning to use strings instead. Do you know what kind of material I can use for the wings? I was thinking maybe condenser paper, but I can't seem to find it.
In my opinion, if you can find it/get your hands on it, mylar is probably the best material for airfoil. Its extremely thin and lightweight, although putting it on can be a hassle as well as it's not that common.

Here's a link for the mylar I use, it's pretty cheap for $5 for a 5 foot roll, and it's good quality:
http://www.freedomflightmodels.com/paypal.htm
TrueshotBarrage

Thank you :3 I will definitely keep that website in mind.

Speaking of Mylar, do you think I could use that for Helicopters as well? I am thinking of building something along the lines of this design

Thanks for the quick and detailed replies!
2015 Regionals
It's About Time - 3rd
Compound Machines - 1st
2015 States
Bridge Building - 3rd

2016 Regionals
It's About Time - 1st
Air Trajectory - 1st
Bozongle

Post by Bozongle »

Yup, you can use mylar for Helicopters just as you would for Rotor
TrueshotBarrage

Thank you :ugeek:

Do you know how I can access the Image Gallery for any events? It says I do not have permission to view the page.
2015 Regionals
It's About Time - 3rd
Compound Machines - 1st
2015 States
Bridge Building - 3rd

2016 Regionals
It's About Time - 1st
Air Trajectory - 1st
Bozongle

Post by Bozongle »

After long pain-staking hours of building designs and having them utterly fail, I've decided to ask a few questions to find out where I should start my next design properly after 6 bad attempts.

1. Is it better to have each individual rotor far apart or closer apart?
2. What angle should the rotors be at?
4. Size of rotors? Device in general?
3. Any design ideas. I'm currently out after trying a few and they haven't worked really well for me.

My average time right now is around 2.3 seconds at a drop of 4.75 which is absolutely terrible. Half the time the egg does not survive which I also hate, I want to get on the right track rather than continuing building designs and wasting materials by being on the wrong track
TrueshotBarrage

I think far apart is better than closer apart, as this may reduce the interference of the rotors. I think an angle of 10~15 is good, but probably you will have to test them out yourself. I don't know about the size of rotors. Maybe a design with 1 or 2 pairs of opposite rotors are good. You should think about lift and drag, but probably mostly lift. Try to make it close to gravity.
I think you should use Bernoulli's Principle (I think that's what it's called) and make it somewhat like an airplane wing.

My question: I don't know how to make the egg not spin with the rotors themselves. How would I do this with strings, or any other material I could use for hanging the egg/cup? I have a pretty good rotor design but I don't know how to hang the cup. I was thinking about using a straw, but I doubt that will work out well.

Thanks for any feedback and answers!
2015 Regionals
It's About Time - 3rd
Compound Machines - 1st
2015 States
Bridge Building - 3rd

2016 Regionals
It's About Time - 1st
Air Trajectory - 1st
BananaPirate
State: OH

Post by BananaPirate »

Hi I'm new here, i have a wheel from a lego set that i'm thinking about incorporating into the design so the egg doesn't spin. Would that count as a commercial rotor assembly since it is technically part of the rotor?
Thanks
seadog
State: NJ

Post by seadog »

Hi
This is our 1st time doing this event.
I am reading the rules and it says it must fit in a 51 cm cube in any orientation.
Any ideas what "in any orientation" means? Can we twist the rotor to fit into the box at an angle?
Thanks and sorry if this has been answered previously.

Return to “2014 Build Events”