Boomilever B/C

UQOnyx
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Boomilever B/C

Postby UQOnyx » February 23rd, 2014, 12:57 pm

Oh, my mistake, I didn't see that. Kevin, why didn't you increase the height? If you are getting a score like that, increasing the length would GREATLY lower the forces on the members, letting you shave off a considerable amount of weight from the boom, giving you a higher efficiency.
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

I know the voices aren't real, but they have some great ideas..

xchampkevin
Division: B
State: CA

Postby xchampkevin » February 23rd, 2014, 8:50 pm

Oh, my mistake, I didn't see that. Kevin, why didn't you increase the height? If you are getting a score like that, increasing the length would GREATLY lower the forces on the members, letting you shave off a considerable amount of weight from the boom, giving you a higher efficiency.
I know that it gives you a higher score, but I bumped it while gluing the distal end. :(
Suzanne Middle School
Regionals
Boomilever 3rd
Helicopters 3rd
Rotor Egg Drop 4th

mwloveslm

Postby mwloveslm » February 23rd, 2014, 11:12 pm

@xchampkevin

what school do you go to and do you know what school got first?
Livin' the Cali Lyfe (:
CHURCHILL MS
Build Events <3 <3

xchampkevin

Postby xchampkevin » February 24th, 2014, 7:39 am

1st Mesa Robles, 2nd Chapparal, 3rd (us) Suzanne
Suzanne Middle School
Regionals
Boomilever 3rd
Helicopters 3rd
Rotor Egg Drop 4th

boomileverccs
State: PA

Postby boomileverccs » February 24th, 2014, 2:01 pm

what is best thickness of wood to use? Do braces give better support horizontally or vertically, sides or top and bottom; can you do both? Distance from hole on block to end of lever between 45-50cm. best to be closest to what number? Should braces be same wood as the lever is? Are j bolts put on at event by officials? Where can you get the j bolts tried Lowes and home depot? Sorry for all the questions this is my first year doing the Boomilever.

boomileverccs

Postby boomileverccs » February 24th, 2014, 2:26 pm

What length and height does the boomilever have to be (dimensions)?because I may have done it wrong when measuring it out.

chinesesushi

Postby chinesesushi » February 24th, 2014, 2:49 pm

what is best thickness of wood to use? Do braces give better support horizontally or vertically, sides or top and bottom; can you do both? Distance from hole on block to end of lever between 45-50cm. best to be closest to what number? Should braces be same wood as the lever is? Are j bolts put on at event by officials? Where can you get the j bolts tried Lowes and home depot? Sorry for all the questions this is my first year doing the Boomilever.
There is no "best" thickness, depends on design. You can do both, also depends on design. Best to be closest to 45 cm. Also depends on design. Yes. I got mine at Lowe's, just ask them.
What length and height does the boomilever have to be (dimensions)?because I may have done it wrong when measuring it out.
B div = 20 cm high, C div = 15 cm high, and you answered what the length was in previous post.

I really suggest you read the rules and this forum which has a lot of the answers to your questions.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.

UQOnyx
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UQOnyx » February 24th, 2014, 3:38 pm

I had a really hard time finding the j-bolt. Take the paper on the soinc website, and show the attendant the UPC code. They are available at Lowes.
(And also, just a side note: you can edit your original post by pressing the edit button if you hae something else to add, so as to avoid double posting. It annoys some people when you double post :D )
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

I know the voices aren't real, but they have some great ideas..

nxtscholar
Division: Grad

Postby nxtscholar » February 24th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Or, if you utterly have no luck in finding one, you can do what i did before. Take the schematics from online at soinc.org, print it out, and actually make it yourself :P

GeorgeInNePa

Postby GeorgeInNePa » February 24th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Typically balsa dowel is used I believe. Specialized sells them. It's used because without it the stress concentration on the tube would be too high, since the tension member would only have two small contact points on top and bottom of the tube. This spreads it out to put the load in the entire tube.
Or, as a cheaper alternative, by careful sanding, you may be able to achieve similar results...
This is how we do it.

Return to “2014 Build Events”