Boomilever B/C

havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by havenguy »

iwonder wrote:Try and make the joint area larger, maybe use the top and bottom of the joint as well (so like in a notch on the base). Also, if you're using superglue sand the parts smooth, use a tiny amount of glue spread over the whole area, and let it dry for a full 24 hours (when you're pushing the limits of the glue, which this does, the time really does make a difference)
Whoops, I worded my last post pretty badly. :) It isn't shearing off of the base, it is breaking right where the tension member enters into the base. I have very deep notches, and there is quite a bit of joint area.

After it has broken, part of the wood of the tension member is still in the base, and the rest of the wood remains on the unbroken main structure.

I use about 5 tension-compression connectors, so maybe that is part of the reason why this is happening.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

It could be that, or if your tension members and notches aren't quite aligned properly they could be bending under load and snapping. (It could also be the tension-compression members forcing the tension members to bend, but unless you've got super strong connections that's not likely)
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

Does anyone know whether next year's topic is elevated bridge or just bridge building? I understand they're very similar, but I assume regular bridge building doesn't have a minimum height.

2016 States Results:

nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by nejanimb »

Bridge Building did have a minimum height in the past. The difference was that elevated bridge required clearance of an area in the middle of the span (meant that you couldn't have a straight member directly across the gap).

Regular Bridge Building is just a super easy event. Towers is too, and I think that's why they made some changes to it in its most recent incarnation. I'd be surprised if there wasn't something (multiple load point possibilities, elevated, etc.) added to the event when they bring it back in, but one never knows!
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

nejanimb wrote:Bridge Building did have a minimum height in the past. The difference was that elevated bridge required clearance of an area in the middle of the span (meant that you couldn't have a straight member directly across the gap).

Regular Bridge Building is just a super easy event. Towers is too, and I think that's why they made some changes to it in its most recent incarnation. I'd be surprised if there wasn't something (multiple load point possibilities, elevated, etc.) added to the event when they bring it back in, but one never knows!
Ah, thanks, that clears things up a bit.

Elevated Bridge was the first balsa event I ever did, so I'd be extremely happy if they brought that one back. :)

There also seem to be a lot more resources online for Bridge compared to Boomilever. Next year, I'll be doing some research before I actually start building.

2016 States Results:

Azn

Post by Azn »

Won PA states with a 1769, however this is certainly not our best (i've managed to score in the 2000s). With just two weeks left, does anyone have predictions for this year's top nationals scores?
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

(Full disclaimer: TX States was decent, but not as competitive as I expected. My team (for reasons unbeknownst to logic I was pulled out of the event) was 10th with a 650)

Optimisically the top should be pushing 2200 or 2300

It being a competition, I haven't seen a 2000+ all season, but I've heard of a handful. This being nats I think people will be able to avoid stupid things like hitting stuff in transport or not letting glue dry all the way.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
Scioly99
Division: B

Post by Scioly99 »

Yea, the scores in Texas were not nearly what I expected. In division B, 3rd place was about 1120, 2nd place was about 1350, and our team was first with 1490 (It broke really early). In Division C I've heard that the top score was in the 1300s.
drifter601
Division: C

Post by drifter601 »

What do you guys think 6th place (Medal) at Nationals will be? I would say, judging from last year and then some, ~1500
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...
ckssv07
Division: C

Post by ckssv07 »

drifter601 wrote:What do you guys think 6th place (Medal) at Nationals will be? I would say, judging from last year and then some, ~1500
I'm not sure, but the scores do not seem to be as high as last year, at least for div B.

Return to “2014 Build Events”