Boomilever B/C

jma
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by jma »

For a tower crane boomilever, should I have the loading block (1.) align with where the tension members are connected to the compression members at the bottom of compression member or (2.) in between the two points where the tension arm connects with the top and bottom compression members?

I tried both. The first method gave me a really high score, but I built another two using this method and both failed early into the testing (broke at bottom member right behind the distal end). The second method gave me a fair efficiency, but the compression arm bent down quite a bit where the loading block is.

By the way, will adding more bracings help solve the issue of the compression members bending down?
chinesesushi
Division: C
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

Look back, I asked this exact question a while ago. It was suggested that the loading block's center should be above the point between the top and bottom.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
jma

Post by jma »

chinesesushi wrote:Look back, I asked this exact question a while ago. It was suggested that the loading block's center should be above the point between the top and bottom.
hamzacooly
State: TX

Post by hamzacooly »

Hey guys I just got into making tube designs and I was wondering how a single tension member design would work out. Wouldn't the J hook get in the way, thus not allowing the single T memb design? Or would you have to attach the T memb slightly off center? At the moment though I'm leaning towards a double T memb design. Any other tips besides the ones already posted?
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

I think someone may have asked this before as well. That's part of the problem you had to solve, unless someone wants to give you a definite answer, but I definitely know some teams have gotten around the whole "j-hook blocking" problem. I even saw a team with a single member at my invitational lol. Good luck! :D
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
UQOnyx
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by UQOnyx »

I wanted to share a tip. I know we aren't talking about it right now, but we were talking about it a long time ago and I remembered a solution. To get more accurate readings on a centigram or milligram pocket scale (not sure if milligram pocket scales exist ;) ), and the results are very inconsistent and finicky, put the scale inside of a clear plastic (like a rubbermaid container) container, and cover it so that the air currents don't change the results. Will get much better results. Hope this helps!
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

I know the voices aren't real, but they have some great ideas..
Scioly99
State: TX

Post by Scioly99 »

Does anyone know if they will use an autoloader at UCF?
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

I heard they used an autoloader last year, and I'd assume this year would be the same.
Buckstops

Post by Buckstops »

They hand loaded at Nats last year. Very low tech and very slow.
Buckstops
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn"
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

Buckstops wrote:They hand loaded at Nats last year. Very low tech and very slow.

Pretty sure there were autoloaders.

Return to “2014 Build Events”