Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by Bazinga+ »

Hah, interesting story... We were getting efficiencies of around 15-16000, and we came to the event at nats. So the lady coordinating it started giving a loing speech about whyour schools boomilever suckjed and the flaws in the design. Then we tested it and got 9000 efficiency because somethng went wrong. She then was like 'seeee... i told you so'. it was kinda funny though cuz i wasnt the person doing boom.
Innovation =/= success
AJTheGreat1729
State: IL

Post by AJTheGreat1729 »

I'm hoping you mean 900, 1500, and 1600.

Anyway, our school's team's booms are 'theoretically' able to have efficiencies in the vicinity of 1800/2000 according to one of the builders, although the best in competition is ~1450.

At nats, we flopped. I don't know the score but it was pretty low, probably under 1300.
2014 R/S/N
Entomology 2/3/x
Road Scholar 2/3/x
Experimental 5/8/x
Team 1/2/x

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[witty comment][/witty comment]
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Maybe it was just the humidity changes. I've never traveled with a boom that much, but my fear would be that it would stretch/contract with varying humidity and mess up the structure. I know a few people who go to nats and build theirs at the hotel just to avoid those issues.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

iwonder wrote:Maybe it was just the humidity changes. I've never traveled with a boom that much, but my fear would be that it would stretch/contract with varying humidity and mess up the structure. I know a few people who go to nats and build theirs at the hotel just to avoid those issues.
Yeah, kind of like last year, when it rained on competition day.
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

So, next year it won't be boomilever. Supposedly the event will rotate to bridges. Any idea how the event will be different from the trial or the previous years?
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Probably different sizes, and no cross section limits. Other than that I doubt they'll make a lot of changes. As always, the best advice is just to build anything bridge related over the summer and get a feel for what techniques you'll need for construction (jigs, cross members, sizes, etc), that way when you know the specifics it's not hard to apply the concepts you learned over the summer to the competition bridges.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
thsom
State: IL

Post by thsom »

iwonder wrote:Probably different sizes, and no cross section limits. Other than that I doubt they'll make a lot of changes. As always, the best advice is just to build anything bridge related over the summer and get a feel for what techniques you'll need for construction (jigs, cross members, sizes, etc), that way when you know the specifics it's not hard to apply the concepts you learned over the summer to the competition bridges.
Is this expected to be bridge building or elevated bridges?
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

All accounts I've heard have been Bridge Building, the trial event for B. I have yet to hear a rumor of any sort on Elevated Bridges. But I'm not an official :P
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
John Richardsim
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

So does anybody have any idea what place a proficiency of 1700 would be at nats for Div B? My teammates in boomilever were able to get 1700 at regionals and states, but at nats they tried using a bomilever that was about 1 gram less than those two, and it broke a lot earlier than they were hoping (actually, I think they were hoping that it wouldn't break at all, but you get the point).
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

Balsa Man wrote:
dholdgreve wrote:Would anyone like to share the winning B or C Boom scores at nationals? What scores did it take to at least place?
I know that 6th place for B was 1648 (9.1gr carrying full 15kg); Preston Middle School from Fort Collins, CO.
yoliu wrote:divB 3rd place was over 1900...
Looks like 6th, maybe 5th.

Return to “2014 Build Events”