Sounds of Music B

couragecat
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music B

Post by couragecat »

If we rearrange a song do we still get the 5 bonus points? Or do we have to write a completely original song?
silverheart7
Division: Grad

Post by silverheart7 »

couragecat wrote:If we rearrange a song do we still get the 5 bonus points? Or do we have to write a completely original song?
For the required piece, you are suppposed to create an arrangement based on the song in the rules, but adding harmony and making changes to show off your instruments. For the chosen piece, you can either put your own twist on an already composed song or you can write your own. However, most people like to arrange a well known piece so the judges will recognize it. What are you referring to by the 5 points?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
couragecat

Post by couragecat »

silverheart7 wrote:
couragecat wrote:If we rearrange a song do we still get the 5 bonus points? Or do we have to write a completely original song?
For the required piece, you are suppposed to create an arrangement based on the song in the rules, but adding harmony and making changes to show off your instruments. For the chosen piece, you can either put your own twist on an already composed song or you can write your own. However, most people like to arrange a well known piece so the judges will recognize it. What are you referring to by the 5 points?
It's another extra scored item. In the rules it says that teams that write their music in the correct clefs and correctly notated get 5 points max. So if I just rearrange a song I would get these 5 points right?
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

couragecat wrote:
silverheart7 wrote:
It's another extra scored item. In the rules it says that teams that write their music in the correct clefs and correctly notated get 5 points max. So if I just rearrange a song I would get these 5 points right?
Yes, although I'm not sure what your definition of rearrange is. If you write the music correctly (key signature, time signature, notes written clearly, the right ranges) you should get those points.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
couragecat

Post by couragecat »

silverheart7 wrote:
couragecat wrote:
silverheart7 wrote: For the required piece, you are suppposed to create an arrangement based on the song in the rules, but adding harmony and making changes to show off your instruments. For the chosen piece, you can either put your own twist on an already composed song or you can write your own. However, most people like to arrange a well known piece so the judges will recognize it. What are you referring to by the 5 points?
Yes, although I'm not sure what your definition of rearrange is. If you write the music correctly (key signature, time signature, notes written clearly, the right ranges) you should get those points.
Yeah this pretty much answered my question. Thanks! :D
TrueshotBarrage
State: AL

Post by TrueshotBarrage »

Does anyone know how to increase the volume of a guitar?
2015 Regionals
It's About Time - 3rd
Compound Machines - 1st
2015 States
Bridge Building - 3rd

2016 Regionals
It's About Time - 1st
Air Trajectory - 1st
emescferrall
Division: B
State: AZ

Post by emescferrall »

TrueshotBarrage wrote:Does anyone know how to increase the volume of a guitar?

Volume as in sound?
I took first at 2013 States as a 6th grader in Meteorology!!!

2014 State Results:

Anatomy: 2nd
Can't Judge A Powder: 9th
Crime Busters: 1st
Heredity: 3rd
Meteorology: 3rd
Sounds of Music: 2nd

2015 Events: Anatomy, Crave The Wave, Crime Busters, Experimental Design, Meteorology, Picture This
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

(Hi Trueshot.)

The main way to increase volume is to create a larger resonator box. More vibrations, more sound waves. I understand this is complicated and inconvenient to change, but it's how it works. Think about it; a resonator box is an amplification box. Electric instruments make practically no acoustic sound on their own; string instruments all have large boxes to help make them louder.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
Ricks I
State: MI

Post by Ricks I »

Why is it that the rule about being able to sustain a note for 3 seconds seems to be
ignored for the PVC tube instruments you hit with flip flops? If the intent is that it just be able to
be measured by some tuning device, then the rule should be restated. We have wanted to build one the last couple years, but
are afraid we will run into the one judge that will enforce the rule. Any thoughts?
vennowsah
State: CA

Post by vennowsah »

What size and type of strings would you guys recommend for a lyre? I got some steel strings at the local music store, but it was very stiff, and hard to wrap around the screws I'm using for as tuners. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
MLKHS '18
MIT '22

Expectations low, hopes high

Return to “2014 Build Events”