Sounds of Music B

TrueshotBarrage
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music B

Post by TrueshotBarrage »

Hello, our school got started late on Science Olympiad this year and now we are in a rush! I am participating in the Sounds of Music Division B this year, and I have about 3 weeks to build and test my instruments. I am thinking of building a panpipe for its beautiful sound and its relatively easy make-and-play (I have experience in playing the clarinet). I have the measurements each of the PVC pipes set up (Yes, I like PVC) and I am ready to go buy some 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC pipes. Can someone tell me if that is a good material for making a panpipe?
Thanks for any help!
Last edited by zyzzyva980 on February 8th, 2014, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Look at that! The hide function magically began to work!
2015 Regionals
It's About Time - 3rd
Compound Machines - 1st
2015 States
Bridge Building - 3rd

2016 Regionals
It's About Time - 1st
Air Trajectory - 1st
olyweeah
State: IL

Post by olyweeah »

Hi. So this year is my schools first year in science olympiad and we got to state (yay)! anyways, at our regional competition we didn't do sounds of music so we have approximately 2 months to build our instruments. my partner and I have already decided what we are making and all of our plans are done, but we're having trouble looking for materials. for one of our instruments (a zither) we need fairly thin wood and the only think we have found is 'axc handi-panel' (aka sanded plywood). has anyone ever used anything like this? was the sound quality decent? thank yoooou. :D
forensics and chem lab :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

olyweeah wrote:Hi. So this year is my schools first year in science olympiad and we got to state (yay)! anyways, at our regional competition we didn't do sounds of music so we have approximately 2 months to build our instruments. my partner and I have already decided what we are making and all of our plans are done, but we're having trouble looking for materials. for one of our instruments (a zither) we need fairly thin wood and the only think we have found is 'axc handi-panel' (aka sanded plywood). has anyone ever used anything like this? was the sound quality decent? thank yoooou. :D
My own experience is that hardwood sounds better than something soft. Thinking your plywood might sound a bit thuddy, but not sure. We used hardwood floor scraps a few years back to make a marimba with a very nice sound. Call the hardwood floor installers in your town and see if they have scraps... Good luck.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

I personally wouldn't reccommend plywood for sound quality. A couple of specialty places were able to find my partner and I some difficult to find sizes and types of hardwood, and we ended up with two instruments that played well. Try searching for any lumber yards or specialty suppliers in your area.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
TrueshotBarrage
State: AL

Post by TrueshotBarrage »

I made panpipes, used PVC - not very creative, but it did the job. We got 3rd place at regionals, which was better than we expected, actually, since we messed up a little bit. You should use wood for creativity points, but it doesn't really matter.

Just do well on your test portion - it is half of the event.
2015 Regionals
It's About Time - 3rd
Compound Machines - 1st
2015 States
Bridge Building - 3rd

2016 Regionals
It's About Time - 1st
Air Trajectory - 1st
vennowsah
State: CA

Post by vennowsah »

I realize that no professional instrument parts are permitted, but are zither pins, or other types of tuning pins allowed? It doesn't seem like you can easily make them.
Thanks!
MLKHS '18
MIT '22

Expectations low, hopes high
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

vennowsah wrote:I realize that no professional instrument parts are permitted, but are zither pins, or other types of tuning pins allowed? It doesn't seem like you can easily make them.
Thanks!
I personally assumed that tuning pins are considered professional instrument parts as they are made specifically for that purpose. I made a full size 27 nylon string harp from plans this year, but improvised a tuning system with knots, toothpicks, tapered pegs (actually chopsticks), and what I can only describe as little metal eye hooks that you sort of screw into the wood. Last year I had a kind of Kinnor harp or lyre that was much smaller with steel guitar strings, and had a similar system with a wooden dowel and then metal bolts, nails, washers, and nuts. It's frustrating to do, but with enough patientce, a tuning mechanism can be invented.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

vennowsah
State: CA

Post by vennowsah »

silverheart7 wrote:
vennowsah wrote:I realize that no professional instrument parts are permitted, but are zither pins, or other types of tuning pins allowed? It doesn't seem like you can easily make them.
Thanks!
I personally assumed that tuning pins are considered professional instrument parts as they are made specifically for that purpose. I made a full size 27 nylon string harp from plans this year, but improvised a tuning system with knots, toothpicks, tapered pegs (actually chopsticks), and what I can only describe as little metal eye hooks that you sort of screw into the wood. Last year I had a kind of Kinnor harp or lyre that was much smaller with steel guitar strings, and had a similar system with a wooden dowel and then metal bolts, nails, washers, and nuts. It's frustrating to do, but with enough patientce, a tuning mechanism can be invented.
Thank you! This seems like something to keep me busy while I wait for the wood to arrive... XD
MLKHS '18
MIT '22

Expectations low, hopes high
genius123
State: NJ

Post by genius123 »

Ok i know this is really last minte considering the competition is in less than 2 days... But that's how we roll :D anyways i have a desperate question. For the music, hornpipe, do we have to play it starting on a C or can we start it on any note we want? Because i'm not sure my instrument can play that low and id rather start the piece on an F
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

genius123 wrote:Ok i know this is really last minte considering the competition is in less than 2 days... But that's how we roll :D anyways i have a desperate question. For the music, hornpipe, do we have to play it starting on a C or can we start it on any note we want? Because i'm not sure my instrument can play that low and id rather start the piece on an F
You can arrange it into that key if you'd like, but I'm not sure how playing hornpipe as written with just a different first note would sound unless it was used to make a harmony or counter melody.

Return to “2014 Build Events”