Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music B

Post by ScienceOlympian »

knittingfrenzy18 wrote:You may transpose the music (as far as I'm concerned, don't take my word for it). I haven't heard any strict policies about how much of the music displayed in the rules must be preserved; it's probably a good idea to keep the music in the rules in your music (albeit in parts). I've heard you can do anything to it (change the rhythm, add notes, turn it into jazz, etc) but that sounds a little extreme to me. I've personally changed the melody a little (the excerpt comes from the end of the movement; I took a very similar excerpt from the beginning) and appended/prepended notes, tossed the melody back and forth between the two instruments. I'm ready to get hammered for this (!) but soinc has not answered my question, and there's nothing in the rules about it. It's really what you feel safe with.

And yes, they mean professional instrument parts. You can definitely use professional bathroom sink parts, if it so behooves you. ;)
At the Churchill Invitational, the judges told us to play Water Music exactly as how it is written in the rules in the melody. You can transpose, but you cannot add more notes on the melody instrument on Water Music, unless the judges interpreted the rules differently, or your judges are lenient.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

With regards to transposition, from what I understood when I competed, transposition was allowed (in fact, it explicitly said so in the rules, IIRC). With regards to adding notes on to the melody, that is something I would ask for an official rules clarification on. I seem to recall asking for a similar clarification in 2012, except phrased differently.

Along the lines of: We have to compose a part that harmonizes with the music in the rules. Does this part have to be exclusively for one instrument, or can both instruments share harmony if the original melody is preserved? IIRC the answer allowed for both instruments to play the harmony, but we ultimately decided against it and had one play the written melody and the other play the harmony.

Rules change though. As I am not as familiar with this year's music or some of the recent rule changes, you should ask for an official rules clarification on the matter.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
emescferrall
Division: B
State: AZ

Post by emescferrall »

This event got sprung on me this morning!! Please help!! Could I make a cigar box guitar before Saturday????? That's when my competition is.
I took first at 2013 States as a 6th grader in Meteorology!!!

2014 State Results:

Anatomy: 2nd
Can't Judge A Powder: 9th
Crime Busters: 1st
Heredity: 3rd
Meteorology: 3rd
Sounds of Music: 2nd

2015 Events: Anatomy, Crave The Wave, Crime Busters, Experimental Design, Meteorology, Picture This
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

emescferrall wrote:This event got sprung on me this morning!! Please help!! Could I make a cigar box guitar before Saturday????? That's when my competition is.
Nothing is impossible, but it is very unlikely, since you have to know how to play it and tune the guitar. But remember that everything is possible (just realize that you have 1 day, so if you haven't started, then you can try, but it is going to be very stressful.
Last edited by ScienceOlympian on January 10th, 2014, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
emescferrall

Post by emescferrall »

I have actually decided to drop out of SofM this competition, but I'll probably be doing it next weekend. By the way, I already know how to play and tune a guitar. I've been taking lessons for about 2.5 years.

2014 State Results:

2015 Events: Anatomy, Crave The Wave, Crime Busters, Experimental Design, Meteorology, Picture This
emescferrall

Post by emescferrall »

When we write our own song, do we handwrite it on paper or use music writing software???? Thx!

2014 State Results:

ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

emescferrall wrote:When we write our own song, do we handwrite it on paper or use music writing software???? Thx!
Music writing software seems more professional and is neater than handwritten sheets of music. Use free music notation software such as Noteflight or Musescore (noteflight is better in my opinion).

Good luck!
emescferrall

Post by emescferrall »

@ScienceOlympian, thx!! I'll try Noteflight.

2014 State Results:

thisusernameistaken
State: MN

Post by thisusernameistaken »

What's a quick and easy way to build a violin bow?
Irondale
emescferrall

Post by emescferrall »

I have this event on Saturday, and I was wondering if we are allowed to use a guitar pick. My instrument is a cigar box guitar. Thx :)

2014 State Results:

Return to “2014 Build Events”