Wheeled Vehicle B

HELLOIMREECE
Division: B
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wheeled Vehicle B

Post by HELLOIMREECE »

nichwch wrote:Noticed a lot of people using CD wheels. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? (No traction, unstable, etc.)
Me and my partner are using CDs as wheels and are very satisfied, we glued two together to make them more sturdy. Also for the no traction part we put electrical tape on the outside to help it get more traction.
First Year Science Olympiad Competitor
Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Water Quality, Wheeled Vehicle
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

HELLOIMREECE wrote:I have a question, at our competition the supervisor noticed on our fishing rod, which we use to propel our vehicle, that the eyes are made of metal. Well he said he wasn't sure if it was illegal or not since they are attached to the thing that propels it but they do not store any energy to help it propel. Does anyone know if they are a rule violation or not?
See the FAQ about this: http://www.soinc.org/node/1300

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
BenOlympiad
State: NY

Post by BenOlympiad »

Anyone have a good starting device?
Science is cool
dferdjr8
State: MA

Post by dferdjr8 »

Should I use lego wheels or ones with better grip, or, what I see lots of people using, CDs? Also, should I build a brake system or just build it to go the length of the track? :?:
Donroy F

WRSD
BenOlympiad
State: NY

Post by BenOlympiad »

dferdjr8 wrote:Should I use lego wheels or ones with better grip, or, what I see lots of people using, CDs? Also, should I build a brake system or just build it to go the length of the track? :?:
i would do CDS and build it to go the whole track
Science is cool
1nxtmonster
State: PA

Post by 1nxtmonster »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RcufvIWgPo

You're welcome. Launch system, chassis, braking.
dferdjr8
State: MA

Post by dferdjr8 »

goodcheer wrote:Could someone comment on the rule about the dowel rod being the foremost part of the vehicle? Does that mean that whatever secures the dowel rod to the vehicle must stay behind the dowel rod? For example, a piece of wire wrapped around the dowel to hold it in place could not be used because part of the wire would be in front of the dowel? Also, it looks like the rules require the students to bring the dowel rod, so, ok they should be able to build it into their vehicle and not just place it in a "holder" like mousetrap vehicle. But that might make it clumsy to transport. Just thinking out loud, but this looks like a unique challenge. Any comments would be appreciated.
The vehicle must have attached to the front a quarter inch wooden dowel approximately perpendicular to the floor so as to be the foremost part of the vehicle at all times during its run. Its purpose is twofold
35cm off the floor to interrupt laser (if used)
Measurement for distance
Donroy F

WRSD
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

dferdjr8 wrote:
goodcheer wrote:Could someone comment on the rule about the dowel rod being the foremost part of the vehicle? Does that mean that whatever secures the dowel rod to the vehicle must stay behind the dowel rod? For example, a piece of wire wrapped around the dowel to hold it in place could not be used because part of the wire would be in front of the dowel? Also, it looks like the rules require the students to bring the dowel rod, so, ok they should be able to build it into their vehicle and not just place it in a "holder" like mousetrap vehicle. But that might make it clumsy to transport. Just thinking out loud, but this looks like a unique challenge. Any comments would be appreciated.
The vehicle must have attached to the front a quarter inch wooden dowel approximately perpendicular to the floor so as to be the foremost part of the vehicle at all times during its run. Its purpose is twofold
35cm off the floor to interrupt laser (if used)
Measurement for distance
There's a FAQ about this: http://www.soinc.org/node/1248

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

science_3211 wrote:How do you guys make your cars go straighter?
If the wheels are currently using are homemade, you could buy premade wheels online. I like to get my parts from ServoCity since they have not only wheels but also axles I can use (which definitely make the vehicle go very straight). Check them out here <http://www.servocity.com/>
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
Fyren (February 15th, 2021, 9:05 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
seadog
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by seadog »

We are new to this event. Any help would be appreciated. As for measuring the distance the vehicle travels, do you measure it to the front of the vehicle or to the back after it stops.

Thanks!

Return to “2014 Build Events”