Wheeled Vehicle B

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wheeled Vehicle B

Post by andrewwski »

Olympus1701 wrote:I've noticed that a lot of people are using a "wing nut on an axle tread" for the breaking mechanism. Can someone post of picture of that? THANKS
Take a look through the image gallery for Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, etc. This one shows it if you zoom in: http://gallery.scioly.org/displayimage. ... play_media

Basically, use a threaded rod as your axle. Put a wingnut on the threaded rod, and then use another rod next to the axle to stop the wingnut from spinning with the axle. As the axle turns, the wingnut will move down the axle until it eventually locks up and stops the axle from turning any further.
Nabeel
Division: B
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nabeel »

Hey guys. If I am using a string wrapped around the axle for my loading up mechanism, how would I make an actuation trigger for that?
derpityderp123
State: IL

Post by derpityderp123 »

Guys-
I am having some trouble with the vertically actuated trigger. The movement mechanism is just a chain of rubber bands which is attached to the back, and is wound around the front wheel. The triggering mechanism is a paperclip (superglued to the frame) which stops the vehicle from moving by poking into the rubber treads on the wheels. To trigger, I would push down on the paperclip which releases it from the treads. I am concerned because the trigger is not completely parallel to the ground (but I activate it by pushing down), and i don't know if that's ok.

I was wondering if pushing the paperclip down with a pencil would be compliant with the rules, or even if the movement is okay due to the fact that it touches the floor after it gets unwound.

Also, is it okay for me to drill a small hole into the dowel to remove weight?

Thanks.

P.S. I see that almost everyone uses part of a fishing rod and a string wound around the axle. Can someone give me an idea on what that is? :)
science_3211
State: MI

Post by science_3211 »

How do you guys make your cars go straighter?
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

andrewwski wrote:
Olympus1701 wrote:I've noticed that a lot of people are using a "wing nut on an axle tread" for the breaking mechanism. Can someone post of picture of that? THANKS
Take a look through the image gallery for Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, etc. This one shows it if you zoom in: http://gallery.scioly.org/displayimage. ... play_media

Basically, use a threaded rod as your axle. Put a wingnut on the threaded rod, and then use another rod next to the axle to stop the wingnut from spinning with the axle. As the axle turns, the wingnut will move down the axle until it eventually locks up and stops the axle from turning any further.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Scramb ... d_Rod_Type
derpityderp123 wrote:Guys-
I am having some trouble with the vertically actuated trigger. The movement mechanism is just a chain of rubber bands which is attached to the back, and is wound around the front wheel. The triggering mechanism is a paperclip (superglued to the frame) which stops the vehicle from moving by poking into the rubber treads on the wheels. To trigger, I would push down on the paperclip which releases it from the treads. I am concerned because the trigger is not completely parallel to the ground (but I activate it by pushing down), and i don't know if that's ok.

I was wondering if pushing the paperclip down with a pencil would be compliant with the rules, or even if the movement is okay due to the fact that it touches the floor after it gets unwound.
I would think that using your paperclip would work because it is vertically actuated, but having it touch the floor would be a problem if I remember the rules correctly. I would suggest finding a way to keep it on the vehicle like a short string or something.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
LAndrus
State: NC

Post by LAndrus »

Quick question....do you think a rubber band powered propeller would meet rule 3b? All the energy would be stored inside the rubber band.
wx4caster
Division: C
State: KS

Post by wx4caster »

I had a question about the vertically actuated start switch as well. I realize this isn't for rules clarification, but we do not want to show up at regional and get a construction violation. We are using an L shaped switch made from Kinex that latches into a gear/sprocket on the rear axle. The gear's only job is to brake the car in the ready position until it is released. The L shaped switch stands straight up vertical (like this L)when the car is in the ready position. We use the standard No. 2 pencil to push/activate the switch. Is this technically legal, considering the bottom part that holds the gear is horizontal? Like this => Lo , where the o is the gear.
Results R/S
C 2014 = Scrambler - 1/1
C 2015 = Scrambler 2/3, Wright Stuff, 2/5, Bungy Drop, 4/-
C 2016 = Electric V. 1/2 , Wright 2/7
C 2017 = Electric V 1/1 , Helicop 1/1, Hover 2/-
C 2018 = Mouse V 1/1, Helicop 2/4
notme
State: CT

Post by notme »

I have an out-of-the-box question about the non-metallic elastic power. When I look up the definition for "elastic" the Chemistry definition it says "(of gases) capable of expanding spontaneously". Does that mean it is legal for me to use a model rocket engine to power my wheeled vehicle?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

notme wrote:I have an out-of-the-box question about the non-metallic elastic power. When I look up the definition for "elastic" the Chemistry definition it says "(of gases) capable of expanding spontaneously". Does that mean it is legal for me to use a model rocket engine to power my wheeled vehicle?
general rule #5 prohibits unsafe items such as model rocket engines.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
HELLOIMREECE
State: IA

Post by HELLOIMREECE »

I have a question, at our competition the supervisor noticed on our fishing rod, which we use to propel our vehicle, that the eyes are made of metal. Well he said he wasn't sure if it was illegal or not since they are attached to the thing that propels it but they do not store any energy to help it propel. Does anyone know if they are a rule violation or not?
First Year Science Olympiad Competitor
Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Water Quality, Wheeled Vehicle

Return to “2014 Build Events”