Where can you get tiny c-ds for the front wheels
cspencerwls
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wheeled Vehicle B

Post by cspencerwls »

Can anyone offer advise on how to build a vertically actuated triggering mechanism?
goodcheer
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

cspencerwls wrote:Can anyone offer advise on how to build a vertically actuated triggering mechanism?
You can't use a mousetrap this year for power, but you can copy the mechanism of a mousetrap release. Take a close look at it; it is made of simple levers. I don't know what you are using for power, but if, for example, you are using a fishing rod, you can bend the rod down to where you want it and attach a second string to it and attach the other end to a lever. When you apply vertical pressure to one end of the lever, it will release the rod (might have to be a combo of levers). Another string on the rod can be wrapped around the axle to turn the wheels. We haven't tried it yet, but thats the idea we are working with. Need to keep the lever(s) light weight.

Also, a fishing pole with the metal eyes on it should be allowed shouldn't it? The power is not coming from the metal eyes, but the fiberglass pole. Any comments on that?
Nabeel
State: NJ

Post by Nabeel »

Hey guys. New to this. Just wondering how you you can actually control the braking mechanism, and can you give a few examples? Thanks, also I need some ideas for the actuation trigger, because that part stumped me.
helicpters_rule
State: OH

Post by helicpters_rule »

Bali90 wrote:Where can you get tiny c-ds for the front wheels
i dont know if you can but u can try cutting them i know what you are talking about have you tried online yet.
nichwch
State: CA

Post by nichwch »

Noticed a lot of people using CD wheels. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? (No traction, unstable, etc.)
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

You can put two CD's and put a balloon over the edge for additional traction.
KatieR
State: MD

Post by KatieR »

The braking system I am using is a wing nut on an all thread axle. I used this on my first place in state mousetrap vehicle last year. It may take some time to calibrate though.
Olympus1701
State: NY

Post by Olympus1701 »

I've noticed that a lot of people are using a "wing nut on an axle tread" for the breaking mechanism. Can someone post of picture of that? THANKS
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness"-Aristotle
ishoottrap
State: CO

Post by ishoottrap »

Per the requirement that the dowel be the foremost part of the vehicle, a question and answer have been posted on the soinc site (http://www.soinc.org/node/265):

(section: 3 / paragraph: e / line: 1)

12/19/2013 - 10:38 Can the attachment of the dowel to the vehicle encircle the dowel? Technically, the dowel itself would not then be the "Foremost part of the vehicle", the attachment mechanism would be.

The vehicle may have a device to attach the dowel to the vehicle and permit the removal of the dowel for transportation and/or any necessary adjustment. This device must not extend more than 2 cm from the front of the dowel and would then become the foremost part of the vehicle. This attachment device must serve no purpose other than to attach and hold the dowel on the vehicle.

Return to “2014 Build Events”