Wheeled Vehicle B

nichwch
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wheeled Vehicle B

Post by nichwch »

Noticed a lot of people using CD wheels. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? (No traction, unstable, etc.)
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

You can put two CD's and put a balloon over the edge for additional traction.
KatieR
State: MD

Post by KatieR »

The braking system I am using is a wing nut on an all thread axle. I used this on my first place in state mousetrap vehicle last year. It may take some time to calibrate though.
Olympus1701
State: NY

Post by Olympus1701 »

I've noticed that a lot of people are using a "wing nut on an axle tread" for the breaking mechanism. Can someone post of picture of that? THANKS
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness"-Aristotle
ishoottrap
State: CO

Post by ishoottrap »

Per the requirement that the dowel be the foremost part of the vehicle, a question and answer have been posted on the soinc site (http://www.soinc.org/node/265):

(section: 3 / paragraph: e / line: 1)

12/19/2013 - 10:38 Can the attachment of the dowel to the vehicle encircle the dowel? Technically, the dowel itself would not then be the "Foremost part of the vehicle", the attachment mechanism would be.

The vehicle may have a device to attach the dowel to the vehicle and permit the removal of the dowel for transportation and/or any necessary adjustment. This device must not extend more than 2 cm from the front of the dowel and would then become the foremost part of the vehicle. This attachment device must serve no purpose other than to attach and hold the dowel on the vehicle.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by andrewwski »

Olympus1701 wrote:I've noticed that a lot of people are using a "wing nut on an axle tread" for the breaking mechanism. Can someone post of picture of that? THANKS
Take a look through the image gallery for Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, etc. This one shows it if you zoom in: http://gallery.scioly.org/displayimage. ... play_media

Basically, use a threaded rod as your axle. Put a wingnut on the threaded rod, and then use another rod next to the axle to stop the wingnut from spinning with the axle. As the axle turns, the wingnut will move down the axle until it eventually locks up and stops the axle from turning any further.
Nabeel
State: NJ

Post by Nabeel »

Hey guys. If I am using a string wrapped around the axle for my loading up mechanism, how would I make an actuation trigger for that?
derpityderp123
State: IL

Post by derpityderp123 »

Guys-
I am having some trouble with the vertically actuated trigger. The movement mechanism is just a chain of rubber bands which is attached to the back, and is wound around the front wheel. The triggering mechanism is a paperclip (superglued to the frame) which stops the vehicle from moving by poking into the rubber treads on the wheels. To trigger, I would push down on the paperclip which releases it from the treads. I am concerned because the trigger is not completely parallel to the ground (but I activate it by pushing down), and i don't know if that's ok.

I was wondering if pushing the paperclip down with a pencil would be compliant with the rules, or even if the movement is okay due to the fact that it touches the floor after it gets unwound.

Also, is it okay for me to drill a small hole into the dowel to remove weight?

Thanks.

P.S. I see that almost everyone uses part of a fishing rod and a string wound around the axle. Can someone give me an idea on what that is? :)
science_3211
State: MI

Post by science_3211 »

How do you guys make your cars go straighter?
A Person
Division: Grad
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

andrewwski wrote:
Olympus1701 wrote:I've noticed that a lot of people are using a "wing nut on an axle tread" for the breaking mechanism. Can someone post of picture of that? THANKS
Take a look through the image gallery for Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, etc. This one shows it if you zoom in: http://gallery.scioly.org/displayimage. ... play_media

Basically, use a threaded rod as your axle. Put a wingnut on the threaded rod, and then use another rod next to the axle to stop the wingnut from spinning with the axle. As the axle turns, the wingnut will move down the axle until it eventually locks up and stops the axle from turning any further.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Scramb ... d_Rod_Type
derpityderp123 wrote:Guys-
I am having some trouble with the vertically actuated trigger. The movement mechanism is just a chain of rubber bands which is attached to the back, and is wound around the front wheel. The triggering mechanism is a paperclip (superglued to the frame) which stops the vehicle from moving by poking into the rubber treads on the wheels. To trigger, I would push down on the paperclip which releases it from the treads. I am concerned because the trigger is not completely parallel to the ground (but I activate it by pushing down), and i don't know if that's ok.

I was wondering if pushing the paperclip down with a pencil would be compliant with the rules, or even if the movement is okay due to the fact that it touches the floor after it gets unwound.
I would think that using your paperclip would work because it is vertically actuated, but having it touch the floor would be a problem if I remember the rules correctly. I would suggest finding a way to keep it on the vehicle like a short string or something.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Return to “2014 Build Events”