Elastic Launched Glider C

bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider C

Post by bjt4888 »

The teams that I am coaching are using the Littl Sweep glider and, yes, it is adapted for the 2014 28cm wing span. The 3 gram minimum weight is also not an issue as the kits we have received will produce glider between 3.2 and 4.2 grams. The lightest copies of this glider are capable of "on pattern" launches of about 30'. It is possible that the 4.2 gram copies may be successful to about 40', but we have not tested this hypothesis. When built to the minimum weight of 3.0 grams (which either requires wood with outstanding stiffness to weight characteristics, or the use of carbon fiber reinforcement on the fuselage and possibly the wing) this glider's maximum flight time is about 1.05 seconds/ft. Best flight time in a 27' ceiling height gym is 27.1 seconds. Average flights are about 25.5 seconds. A 4.0 gram copy of the glider is capable of between 21.5 and 23.5 seconds in the same gym. And yes, it flies well in lower ceiling height gyms.

Remember that this glider is a top quality kit and the design is a very appropriate compromise between maximum performance and ease of construction. My experience has been that the ease of construction aspect is pretty important if your team does not have the benefit of an experienced coach. This glider supplies a lot of performance for the level of effort required to construct. Of course, this is not to take away from the Chuck Marcos or Freedom Flight gliders, which I am sure are excellent too.

Bjt4888
AMA 342672 and 77545 (since 1972 off and on)
calgoddard
Been thanked: 0

Post by calgoddard »

[quote]So, any tips for gluing my stabilizer accuratley? I really need to work on getting the incidence correct. Are there any specific tools I probably should use?[quote]

Most CLGs rely on zero-zero incidence. That is, the wing and stab have zero incidence to avoid looping at high speed. Incidence is normally measured from a flat straight upper surface of the combined fuselage/tail boom. Small increments of incidence are put into the stab to avoid nose diving, and this can be done by bending the TE of the stab slightly. I don't think any special tools are required.
fanjiatian
Division: Grad

Post by fanjiatian »

If possible, could someone post a comparison of the Little Sweep kit with Chuck Marko's kit and/or the Freedom Flight kit for 2014?
I've used both the Freedom Flight and Chuck Markos kit. The Freedom Flight kit is definitely for experienced builders as it requires a lot more sanding to get the airfoil camber. The Scholastic Glider (Chuck Markos) is easier to build and, for me at least, times are slightly better. For whatever reason, my Freedom Flight gliders are consistently below 3.0 g, like 2.6 or 2.7 g without clay. I had to put a TON of clay in the center to balance it. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks!
wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

Many teams would love to have your "problem" of the glider being underweight. Most are heavier than desired. Being underweight allows you to put the extra weight where you want it (carbon for stiffness, ballast, etc)

The Freedom flight kits were really popular last year and performed well when built and trimmed properly.
Many also had success with other designs.
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

Well, what's a reliable provider for carbon fiber? What type and what thickness is appropriate for gliders?
I just don't understand how to determine where the reinforcement should be.
Could someone post a guide on how to apply the carbon fiber? Also how to cut the darn stuff :oops:
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

Fanjiatian,
Composite Structures Technology webstore is a reliable supplier of 1k carbon tow. The cost of this carbon material is quite low at about $20 for a 300' roll. Unfortunately, shipping cost is a little high for small orders. There is a very good description of the process of attaching carbon tow on the Hip Pocket Aeronautics builders forum website under the Indoor Free Flight/Science Olympiad/WIF7 for Science Olympiad topic heading. Read the whole thread.

All SO competitors with an interest in this event should read every Hip Pocket Aero Builders Forum and Small Flying Arts Forum communication threads in which the following experienced modelers participate: Bill Gowen (OlBill), Lee Hines (sweepettelee), Tony Mathews (Tmat) and Jim Buxton (glider90). All are national champions, national record holders, world record holders, etc. and have a great amount of experience in glider events or other related events and very good understanding of model aerodynamics.

Bjt4888
Toast
State: GA

Post by Toast »

Does anyone have any information about the canard bonus at state and national levels? E.g. What feature(s) will classify the glider as a "canard"
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

The FAQs for the event on NSO website www.soinc.org address the question of what makes up a canard. And those ARE official.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Allinea
State: MN

Post by Allinea »

I recently finished construction of one of the Freedom Flight gliders. My partner and I went to fly it yesterday after conducting sooner successful glide tests and discovered it didn't fly well. At all. It doesn't get the height of our other glider and barrel rolls every time. It
It's not nosediving it flipping over after launch... Quite frankly it doesn't achieve the height necessary to do either. Help?
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]
baker
State: NY

Post by baker »

Allinea wrote:I recently finished construction of one of the Freedom Flight gliders. My partner and I went to fly it yesterday after conducting sooner successful glide tests and discovered it didn't fly well. At all. It doesn't get the height of our other glider and barrel rolls every time. It
It's not nosediving it flipping over after launch... Quite frankly it doesn't achieve the height necessary to do either. Help?
Barrel roll could be caused because one wing flap is lower than the other, if rolling right the left flap may be lower. Make sure both flaps are even. If flipping over at launch..too much weight in the rear, re-balance your weight.

Return to “2014 Build Events”