Elastic Launched Glider C

baker
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider C

Post by baker »

Has anyone seen a design called "Bubble"? If so where can you get the plans?
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

I have never heard of a catapult launched glider with "Bubble" in the name. There is a large outdoor RC glider called the Bubble Dancer. Sometimes outdoor flyers speak in terms of a "bubble" when they are referring to a thermal.
baker

Post by baker »

calgoddard wrote:I have never heard of a catapult launched glider with "Bubble" in the name. There is a large outdoor RC glider called the Bubble Dancer. Sometimes outdoor flyers speak in terms of a "bubble" when they are referring to a thermal.
We were at Athens today and saw a design that was very smooth. I asked the team what design they had and they said a modification of the bubble design. It had a wing design that was similar to a Feather Shooter... maybe it was a mod of the Feather Shooter. Solid balsa wing. Consistently flying 18, 19, 20 seconds. I think 20.65 sec was their best for the 20 - 23 foot gym. Perfect transition to flight.
AtRi

Post by AtRi »

baker wrote:
calgoddard wrote:I have never heard of a catapult launched glider with "Bubble" in the name. There is a large outdoor RC glider called the Bubble Dancer. Sometimes outdoor flyers speak in terms of a "bubble" when they are referring to a thermal.
We were at Athens today and saw a design that was very smooth. I asked the team what design they had and they said a modification of the bubble design. It had a wing design that was similar to a Feather Shooter... maybe it was a mod of the Feather Shooter. Solid balsa wing. Consistently flying 18, 19, 20 seconds. I think 20.65 sec was their best for the 20 - 23 foot gym. Perfect transition to flight.
Was 23' the height between the rafters? And 20' to the bottom of the rafters? I was there as well and I'm curious about the height.
wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

baker wrote:
Do you know what team was flying it and did they win?
baker

Post by baker »

AtRi wrote:
baker wrote:
Was 23' the height between the rafters? And 20' to the bottom of the rafters? I was there as well and I'm curious about the height.
I believe it is around 21 feet to the bottom of the rafters based on having seen a 20 foot pole trying to dislodge a stuck glider last year, they had to stand on a chair to reach.
baker

Post by baker »

wlsguy wrote:
baker wrote:
Do you know what team was flying it and did they win?
Not certain of the team name. They flew around 10:30 or 11:00 am time frame. Their team was set up on the bleachers on the far side of the gym. Two girls. Maybe green shirts... Don't know if they won or not, we left before awards and nothing posted yet.
AtRi

Post by AtRi »

Thanks for the info on ceiling height. Also, what exactly is this "bubble" design? I'm curious. Additionally, I know that this team did not win.
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

Under "Member" on the left side of the screen, the number of posts is indicated. I have several questions in regard to this information.

1) Is this the total number of posts of that specific member under that member name since the member joined this blog?

2) Is it the total for all forums?

3) Is it updated each time a member posts a new topic or a reply?

Mine seemed to say "97" for some time, even after I posted a new reply. In other words, the number did not seem to increment itself with each new reply that I posted. Now it finally kicked up one number to 98.

I would like to know the answers to these questions to help me evaluate the posts of other members.

Thank you.
wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

calgoddard wrote:Under "Member" on the left side of the screen, the number of posts is indicated. I have several questions in regard to this information.

1) Is this the total number of posts of that specific member under that member name since the member joined this blog?

2) Is it the total for all forums?

3) Is it updated each time a member posts a new topic or a reply?

Mine seemed to say "97" for some time, even after I posted a new reply. In other words, the number did not seem to increment itself with each new reply that I posted. Now it finally kicked up one number to 98.

I would like to know the answers to these questions to help me evaluate the posts of other members.

Thank you.
I can't say I pay much attention to post counts. I remember a few years ago they stopped counting posts in the "posting games" and off topic areas.

Return to “2014 Build Events”