Mission Possible C

XJcwolfyX
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

drifter601 wrote:For timing if we exceed the specified time, do we get all the points up to the specified time (2 pt for each second) AND THEN the penalty? Or do we get JUST the penalty (-1 pt for every second exceeding)?

Ex:

Specified time: 100 sec. (90.1 to 120.0 at Nationals)
Tested time: 110 sec.

Do we get 100*2 - 10*1 = 90 pts

OR

-10*1 = -10 pts.
100*2-10*1=190

By the way - For State, the supervisor said an incandescent light bulb counted as Electrical --> Thermal --> Electromagnetic.

Would this work at Nationals?
Last edited by XJcwolfyX on April 26th, 2014, 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Medal Counter: 73
Uncle Fester
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

Right concept, wrong math. 100 * 2 - 10 * 1 = 190 points
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
drifter601
State: TX

Post by drifter601 »

XJcwolfyX wrote:
drifter601 wrote:For timing if we exceed the specified time, do we get all the points up to the specified time (2 pt for each second) AND THEN the penalty? Or do we get JUST the penalty (-1 pt for every second exceeding)?

Ex:

Specified time: 100 sec. (90.1 to 120.0 at Nationals)
Tested time: 110 sec.

Do we get 100*2 - 10*1 = 90 pts

OR

-10*1 = -10 pts.
100*2-10*1=190

By the way - For State, the supervisor said an incandescent light bulb counted as Electrical --> Thermal --> Electromagnetic.

Probably not, because the light bulb emits BOTH at the same time. The "thermal" energy aka HEAT does not give off light. Since when does heat emit light?
The transfer for an incandescent light bulb should be

Electrical → Electromagnetic

Uncle Fester wrote:Right concept, wrong math. 100 * 2 - 10 * 1 = 190 points

Everyone has their bad math mistakes from time to time. But none of you answered my question. "Right Concept"? That's like saying "Yes" to a "A or B" question. Unless your "answer" was the
100 * 2 - 10 * 1 = 190 points
part.

Thanks...?
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

drifter601 wrote: Everyone has their bad math mistakes from time to time. But none of you answered my question. "Right Concept"? That's like saying "Yes" to a "A or B" question. Unless your "answer" was the
100 * 2 - 10 * 1 = 190 points
part.

Thanks...?
We answered your question (twice). 190 points would be correct.
twisty14
State: IN

Post by twisty14 »

XJcwolfyX wrote: By the way - For State, the supervisor said an incandescent light bulb counted as Electrical --> Thermal --> Electromagnetic.

Its one or the other. It depends on what you transfer to next. If it requires heat EL-Therm. If it requires light EL-EM
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

twisty14 wrote:
XJcwolfyX wrote: By the way - For State, the supervisor said an incandescent light bulb counted as Electrical --> Thermal --> Electromagnetic.

Its one or the other. It depends on what you transfer to next. If it requires heat EL-Therm. If it requires light EL-EM
I think for heat it should be electrical → electromagnetic → thermal since it is heat transfer by radiation. What the state supervisor said (electrical → thermal → electromagnetic) sounds more like how the bulb works and not what you are doing.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
Fyren (February 15th, 2021, 9:07 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
PalladiumTurtle
State: WI

Post by PalladiumTurtle »

bernard wrote:
twisty14 wrote:

I think for heat it should be electrical → electromagnetic → thermal since it is heat transfer by radiation. What the state supervisor said (electrical → thermal → electromagnetic) sounds more like how the bulb works and not what you are doing.
Electrical > Electromagnetic > Thermal is the transfer sequence I had in my box for something very similar.
drifter601
State: TX

Post by drifter601 »

What so you guys expect the scores to be at Nationals? I would expect 1000+
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...
PalladiumTurtle
State: WI

Post by PalladiumTurtle »

drifter601 wrote:What so you guys expect the scores to be at Nationals? I would expect 1000+
I expect 1200 to win it, and depending on the time, I wouldn't be shocked if the winner was either approaching or just over 1300. Nevertheless, if a person breaks 1100 and doesn't medal, *good game well played*.
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

bernard wrote:
twisty14 wrote:

Yes, we are using this lightbulb to go into a photocell.

So everyone agrees that this would be Electrical --> Electromagnetic if we are using the electromagnetic to trigger the next action?

Return to “2014 Build Events”