twisty14
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by twisty14 »

Phys1cs wrote:
So theoretically, you could claim chemical--> thermal, because the chemicals are what is causing the heat in the match?
Yes, as long as its clear that the heat from the nichrome is not triggering the step that the match is supposed to. It worked for me. While I didn't use matches in my mission I had a close substitute. I haven't had any problems with judges at all
FawnOnyx
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by FawnOnyx »

twisty14 wrote:
Phys1cs wrote:
So theoretically, you could claim chemical--> thermal, because the chemicals are what is causing the heat in the match?
Yes, as long as its clear that the heat from the nichrome is not triggering the step that the match is supposed to. It worked for me. While I didn't use matches in my mission I had a close substitute. I haven't had any problems with judges at all
I think one of the issues with using unaltered matches is that you didn't create the transfer to chemical, it's built into the match. There for sure is a chemical energy step in the middle, but it's part of the match's "black box." (Although that doesn't apply to you since you're not using exactly matches). If that is the issue, I'd be curious to know whether modifying or extracting the match tip chemicals would solve the problem. With substitutes I would be worried if it gets classified as an unsafe chemical since it's not explicitly allowed like matches are.
Mounds View Science Olympiad Alumnus, 2011-2014
MIT Science Olympiad Volunteer
twisty14

Post by twisty14 »

FawnOnyx wrote:
twisty14 wrote:
Phys1cs wrote:
I think one of the issues with using unaltered matches is that you didn't create the transfer to chemical, it's built into the match. There for sure is a chemical energy step in the middle, but it's part of the match's "black box." (Although that doesn't apply to you since you're not using exactly matches). If that is the issue, I'd be curious to know whether modifying or extracting the match tip chemicals would solve the problem. With substitutes I would be worried if it gets classified as an unsafe chemical since it's not explicitly allowed like matches are.
Very good point actually. While black box isn't in the rules, it can both help and hurt sometimes. Extracting the chemicals wouldn't be worth the risk of being declared unsafe, or the time.
drifter601
State: TX

Post by drifter601 »

What do you guys think about a rack and pinion time managing device? It's basically gears moving (powered by a motor). I thought we could adjust it to give us more or less time. However, in the rules, it states that all time adjusting tasks in the MP should be non-electrical at the start, middle, and end of that task. So would a rack and pinion get us DQ'ed?

Also, when scoring for time, if you go over the specified time, do you still get the points for "every second up to the time" and THEN get deductions for going over? Or is it JUST deductions?
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...
twisty14

Post by twisty14 »

drifter601 wrote:What do you guys think about a rack and pinion time managing device? It's basically gears moving (powered by a motor). I thought we could adjust it to give us more or less time. However, in the rules, it states that all time adjusting tasks in the MP should be non-electrical at the start, middle, and end of that task. So would a rack and pinion get us DQ'ed?

Also, when scoring for time, if you go over the specified time, do you still get the points for "every second up to the time" and THEN get deductions for going over? Or is it JUST deductions?
That would be a DQ. Here's a link to a rule clarification, it's slightly different but works the same. http://www.soinc.org/node/1326

As for the timing points. From my understanding you get both sets of points, even if you go past. Once you get to the nationals level though the timing points are vital. You need every point you can get.
Phys1cs
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs »

burning is considered a chemical reaction, correct?
PalladiumTurtle
State: WI

Post by PalladiumTurtle »

Phys1cs wrote:burning is considered a chemical reaction, correct?
Burning is a chemical reaction, yes.
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

twisty14 wrote:
drifter601 wrote:What do you guys think about a rack and pinion time managing device? It's basically gears moving (powered by a motor). I thought we could adjust it to give us more or less time. However, in the rules, it states that all time adjusting tasks in the MP should be non-electrical at the start, middle, and end of that task. So would a rack and pinion get us DQ'ed?

That would be a DQ. Here's a link to a rule clarification, it's slightly different but works the same. http://www.soinc.org/node/1326

As for the timing points. From my understanding you get both sets of points, even if you go past. Once you get to the nationals level though the timing points are vital. You need every point you can get.
I have a slightly different timing device that I'm unsure of. Say I have a tank of water that has a plug, which releases water when a motor pulls the plug out. While the timer isn't reliant on the power, I am not sure.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
twisty14

Post by twisty14 »

A Person wrote:
twisty14 wrote:

I have a slightly different timing device that I'm unsure of. Say I have a tank of water that has a plug, which releases water when a motor pulls the plug out. While the timer isn't reliant on the power, I am not sure.
That timers fine. It's no being powered by electricity, it's only started by something that uses electricity. Basically a good test for whether or not your timer is legal, is if, while your timer is running, would removing all of the batteries in the machine make the timer stop, if it does then it's an illegal timer. If it doesn't you should be good to go.
patil215
State: TX

Post by patil215 »

I have a question about the timer in my device. The rules state:
All transfers take time, but any continuous action designed to take up time must not be electrical. In
addition, at State & National adjusting a transfer that utilizes electricity in any way (either at the
beginning, middle, or end of operation) intended to accomplish the ideal time is a violation.
My timer consists of a mechanical object that slowly turns and connects an electrical circuit when it is finished. To adjust the time, I change the amount that the mechanical object is adjusted. No electrical components of the transfer are adjusted.

I'm not sure if this could be considered illegal. I know that the purpose of the rule was to make sure no one was putting in a delay of electrical nature like a timer circuit (hence the only state and nationals part). However, the timer does do a mechanical to electrical transfer, but I do not adjust the electrical part of the transfer - the time is changed by simply winding the mechanical part different amounts.

What do you guys think?

Return to “2014 Build Events”