Mission Possible C

an_so_student
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by an_so_student »

aahs_so wrote:Does your time task "utilize" electricity in ANY WAY (my emphasis) at the end of the timer operation?
I would have to respectfully disagree. I think the key wording is not "utilize" or "any way," but rather "transfer." The rules state that "at State & National adjusting a TRANSFER that utilizes electricity in any way (either at the beginning, middle, or end of operation) intended to accomplish the ideal time is a violation." As long as the energy transfer in question does not use electricity, it should be irrelevant whether other transfers nearby do. For example, if the energy transfer that is being adjusted is mechanical to thermal, then that would not violate the rule (in my opinion), even if the previous transfer is electrical to mechanical and the next transfer is thermal to electrical. Obviously, the time task will not work correctly unless all previous and subsequent tasks work correctly, but to say that therefore none of those other tasks may involve electricity seems (to me) silly.
A Person
Division: Grad
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

an_so_student wrote:
aahs_so wrote:Does your time task "utilize" electricity in ANY WAY (my emphasis) at the end of the timer operation?
I would have to respectfully disagree. I think the key wording is not "utilize" or "any way," but rather "transfer." The rules state that "at State & National adjusting a TRANSFER that utilizes electricity in any way (either at the beginning, middle, or end of operation) intended to accomplish the ideal time is a violation." As long as the energy transfer in question does not use electricity, it should be irrelevant whether other transfers nearby do. For example, if the energy transfer that is being adjusted is mechanical to thermal, then that would not violate the rule (in my opinion), even if the previous transfer is electrical to mechanical and the next transfer is thermal to electrical. Obviously, the time task will not work correctly unless all previous and subsequent tasks work correctly, but to say that therefore none of those other tasks may involve electricity seems (to me) silly.
So far, no one has questioned my Mission. Although it may seem to be dangerously integrated with electricity, I could make something that would preform the same functions of starting and ending it. I think this falls under the thought that I wouldn't need to calculate the time it takes for something to bump a switch, probably a fraction of a second.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

If the electrical part is designed to take up time, then do not use it. If the electrical part triggers is it or activates it, then it is fine. You just need to make sure that in your ETL where you have the time task that it doesn't say electrical anywhere in that step(s). That's what they look at.
Medal Counter: 73
jdramsso
State: NY

Post by jdramsso »

Does anyone know whether this event will be continued next year?
A Person
Division: Grad
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

jdramsso wrote:Does anyone know whether this event will be continued next year?
Likely yes. This is the first year, and events usually run two years before being discontinued.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
rkoopma2
State: MI

Post by rkoopma2 »

What are you guys getting for scores this year, i had 922 and was wondering if thats good?

Also does anyone know how to incorporate EMS into a device? What are the rest of you doing?
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan
twisty14
State: IN

Post by twisty14 »

rkoopma2 wrote:What are you guys getting for scores this year, i had 922 and was wondering if thats good?

Also does anyone know how to incorporate EMS into a device? What are the rest of you doing?
1.Yes that score is about average.
2. Yes
3. One way to come up with transfers is to use your knowledge of physics and engineering. Think basic, what do electromagnetic waves do, then find some where it could be applied.
loganmcc
State: ND

Post by loganmcc »

Is it ok to have a led light up in your device for a photocell before starting . the rule 3.n. "Energy devices (e.g.,Batteries, mousetraps,candles ) ,except motors, may be activated prior to starting the device.".
PalladiumTurtle
State: WI

Post by PalladiumTurtle »

loganmcc wrote:Is it ok to have a led light up in your device for a photocell before starting . the rule 3.n. "Energy devices (e.g.,Batteries, mousetraps,candles ) ,except motors, may be activated prior to starting the device.".
I believe that it is. An led light would be considered an energy device which is not a motor. In my mission, I had flashlights starting on, and I never had an issue with that.
drifter601
State: TX

Post by drifter601 »

For timing if we exceed the specified time, do we get all the points up to the specified time (2 pt for each second) AND THEN the penalty? Or do we get JUST the penalty (-1 pt for every second exceeding)?

Ex:

Specified time: 100 sec. (90.1 to 120.0 at Nationals)
Tested time: 110 sec.

Do we get 100*2 - 10*1 = 190 pts

OR

-10*1 = -10 pts.
Last edited by drifter601 on April 26th, 2014, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...

Return to “2014 Build Events”