Mission Possible C

JimY
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by JimY »

olympiaddict wrote:I'm not sure why it couldn't count for thermal, but I'm also not sure why that has a bearing on if it's possible, could you explain a little more.
Some transfers do seem impossible though, as someone said Mechanical to EMS (i know I said I had an idea before, but I realized my idea was mech-therm-ems)
No-one knows how an event judge will interpret a device, so they may not agree that an energized nichrome is what students say it is. Another possibility is for the device to have two identical energized nichrome set-ups, with one as thermal to another form, and the other as EMS to the same other form. Some judges may accept this, while others might not. So, I think this needs a clarification so that everyone is on the same page (students, coaches, and judges).
The Architect
Division: C
State: VT

Post by The Architect »

As per rule 3.j., if the time waster was mechanical, not utilizing electricity, and it pressed down on a switch to complete a circuit, which is electrical, would this be a violation?
Science, yeah!

Made a new team. 7th place at NH states. Officially the champions of Vermont.

2015-2016 Events:
Air Trajectory, It's About Time, EXPD, and WIDI.
olympiaddict

Post by olympiaddict »

I personally would doubt it, because it says that a continuous action designed to take up time cannot be electrical.
I don't think that the transfer is a part of the continuous action. Sand timers being the most obvious example, the sand falling takes up time, but the mass of the accumulated sand triggering a switch wouldn't be a continuous action in my opinion. The next part, however, about adjusting such a transfer for states and nats, makes me unsure if such a thing would be allowed, however I'd bet that it wouldn't be a terrible amount of trouble to have an action in the middle before the switch.
The Architect
State: VT

Post by The Architect »

Yes, sorry. I was mainly talking about the adjustment part. Thank you though.
Science, yeah!

Made a new team. 7th place at NH states. Officially the champions of Vermont.

2015-2016 Events:
Air Trajectory, It's About Time, EXPD, and WIDI.
Erikj28
Division: B
State: WA

Post by Erikj28 »

Im curious,

could someone give me some input regarding whether the we will be scored on energy transfers (a ball hitting the ground, transferring the energy to the ground) or energy transformations (Electrical energy into mechanical energy such as a motor)

Thanks
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

Erikj28 wrote:Im curious,

could someone give me some input regarding whether the we will be scored on energy transfers (a ball hitting the ground, transferring the energy to the ground) or energy transformations (Electrical energy into mechanical energy such as a motor)

Thanks
It is the energy conversions (or energy transformations, as you called them) that are scored: you have to, for example, convert electrical energy to mechanical, or light to heat.
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

Hey guys. I know this isn't the place for clarifications, but I was wondering if I could have your opinion. Let's say that I have a mechanical transfer that turns on a switch for a laser. Would this be considered mechanical to electric or mechanical to electromagnetic?
olympiaddict

Post by olympiaddict »

We're all wondering about that one and I don't think we'll figure it out until clarifications open up / the sample ETL is posted.
However lasers are not an allowed electronic component.
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

olympiaddict wrote:We're all wondering about that one and I don't think we'll figure it out until clarifications open up / the sample ETL is posted.
However lasers are not an allowed electronic component.
Well I'm considering a laser to be electromagnetic
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

As per the laser guidelines on the soinc website that chalker posted a few weeks ago, lasers not in the control of a person at all times are not allowed, regardless of rating.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

Return to “2014 Build Events”