Scrambler C

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler C

Post by Flavorflav »

iwonder wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:That seems kind of a strange way to construe the word "and," to me.
Yes, at least I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Even if you had a car 'fly to the top of your ramp', the car couldn't be the falling mass. I think the only thing you could do with a ramp is have a mass fall down a ramp and hit the car.
I've actually seen that, at States in 2007 I think it was. I believe it was a large can of some kind that they rolled down into their car. It did not go well.
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

jacobxc wrote:
GoldenKnight1 wrote:
02/13/2014 - 09:42 Are ramps allowed this year assuming the egg starts at the starting line?
No. Vehicles are not allowed to start on ramps and the vehicle cannot be the falling mass. If the wheels are not touching the floor in the “ready to run” configuration then they would not be allowed to touch the floor after the run has begun since it would be in violation of the rules (see FAQ posted on 12/22/13)

To be clear they have not made "Ramps" illegal. Certainly this indicates the "egg transport" vehicle can't travel down a ramp.
I'm sorry but unless you plan on having you car fly to the top of your ramp from the ground it is illegal. It says "Vehicles are not allowed to start on ramps and the vehicle cannot be the falling mass." . Also to add if you use a ramp tell me what is falling mass
I am not saying the egg transport would be on a ramp in any way, just that a ramp could be used for some other purpose (as Flavorflav said). I am also not saying that having the falling mass moving down a ramp that crashes into the egg transport and this gives it a push is a good idea (that is for you and your team to design and figure out) but just that it is not illegal.
jacobxc
Division: C
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by jacobxc »

The "and" is most likely there because it is answering multiple rule clarifications that have been sent in and that are not stated in the question posted above the answer. It is also doing it in one sentence. Which I think is to make it easier to remember and to state to people unknowing of this rule clarification.
Real atheletes run miles not yards
BroNiSciGuy
State: NY

Post by BroNiSciGuy »

GoldenKnight1 wrote:
Certainly this indicates the "egg transport" vehicle can't travel down a ramp. Though as usual the answer seems a little tricky because they don't mention an "egg transport vehicle" but they just wrote "vehicle".
No it doesn't. What about a "egg transport vehicle" that starts completely on the floor with the egg right on the start line. A mass is dropped down from the back of a ramp straight down pulling the vehicle by a string backwards and up the ramp. At the top of the ramp is a quick release mechanism which when triggered allows the vehicle to roll down the ramp and out onto the track. Fits the rules (as long as the mass never hits the floor) and the clarifications.
Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Regional Site Coordinator, Nassau West, NY
State Event Supervisor, NY
National Event Supervisor, USA
_HenryHscioly_
State: CA

Post by _HenryHscioly_ »

BroNiSciGuy wrote:
GoldenKnight1 wrote:
Certainly this indicates the "egg transport" vehicle can't travel down a ramp. Though as usual the answer seems a little tricky because they don't mention an "egg transport vehicle" but they just wrote "vehicle".
No it doesn't. What about a "egg transport vehicle" that starts completely on the floor with the egg right on the start line. A mass is dropped down from the back of a ramp straight down pulling the vehicle by a string backwards and up the ramp. At the top of the ramp is a quick release mechanism which when triggered allows the vehicle to roll down the ramp and out onto the track. Fits the rules (as long as the mass never hits the floor) and the clarifications.
That does seem very do-able...wheels start on ground.....

Just wondering, how light can most people make their cars? 100 grams? 200 grams? Would under 100g be realistic?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

I recognize there is a lot of consternation on this ramp/no ramp ruling. And that's why those of us involved with clarifications cautioun that what we say on this forum is opinon.

But my coaching comment at this point with such a clear statement on the NSO website is: Why risk being 2nd tiered unless there is a VERY clear benefit and LOW risk?
I'm all for creative interpretation of the rules, I write mine to allow room for that intentionally, and recognize when I don't mean to you will ANYWAY and allow for it.
BUT, the consequences of being tiered are severe and risking them should bring an equally big reward for LOW risk.

Just something to think about,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
ChocolateLove

Post by ChocolateLove »

_HenryHscioly_ wrote:
BroNiSciGuy wrote:
That does seem very do-able...wheels start on ground.....

Just wondering, how light can most people make their cars? 100 grams? 200 grams? Would under 100g be realistic?
I am fairly sure that under 100g is realistic. But it all depends on the material you use. If your team is using solid steel than it is most likely going to be on the heavier side. But if you use aluminum it can be lighter. I believe our team's car is going to be around 100 - 150 g.
Alumni of 2016 Harriton Team
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Umm, I'm not saying it's not possible at all, but my vehicle is made out if carbon fiber and titanium and it weighs about 250g. Anyways, that's without the egg, once you add an egg..
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
ChocolateLove

Post by ChocolateLove »

Yeah that pushes it to about 300g....
Alumni of 2016 Harriton Team
joeyjoejoe
State: GA

Post by joeyjoejoe »

Carbon fiber and titanium?? Man, your Home Depot is waaaay better stocked than ours.
So what kind of times are you seeing with these super light cars??

Our wheels weigh 100g a piece! We get about 4.5-4.7s at 11.7m but it stops on a dime with hardly any skid. Our car was close to 400g with CD wheels but, no matter what kind of rubber we put around them, our skid was just awful.

Return to “2014 Build Events”