Scrambler C

Smithy0013
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler C

Post by Smithy0013 »

thsom wrote:2013-12-23 02:07 This section of the rules states that only the wheels of the scrambler can make contact with the floor. Does this mean that the falling mass can't make contact with the floor?
Only the wheels of the Scrambler and any parts of the Scrambler in contact with the floor at the ready to run configuration are allowed to contact the floor. If any piece falls off the Scrambler during the run, it is a construction violation. Therefore the falling mass cannot touch the ground at any time.

This is the rule clarification or FAQ posted on soinc.org.
I was wondering if we use a pulley system and the string hits the ground, is grounds for a violation
If so, how could we prevent that from happening
Also, if the string leaves the meter by meter by .75 meter box is that a violation (even if not due to this rule)
To the first question I think most would consider this a violation. just take a quarter inch thick piece of scrap wood and put it under the falling mass. Mass hits the wood and the string slops all around it but still on top of the wood. Or if that doesn't work then put a knot in the string so that as soon as the mass hits the floor, the knot hits a pulley and the string stops. There's several ways to do it. be creative.

as for the second question I have had an event supervisor tell me that the entire launcher needs to remain in these dimensions for the duration of the run. I believe he was the national supervisor so he knows his stuff. So just to be safe because you don't know who you'll get just don't let the string fall out.

Also bare in mind that I am a high school senior not an event supervisor nor a rule writer. So what I say is my opinion and not in any way shape or form official.
scramblingman
State: PA

Post by scramblingman »

Has anyone had trouble with their car swerving to the side of the wingnut when the car breaks? How does one go about fixing this?
nxtscholar
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Post by nxtscholar »

scramblingman wrote:Has anyone had trouble with their car swerving to the side of the wingnut when the car breaks? How does one go about fixing this?
Nope, never had a problem. What you need to do is make sure that the wingnut contacts the edge of your car gradually. You can use a spring, a rubber washer, or other means to ensure that the break isn't sudden.
bugsrcool

Post by bugsrcool »

Usually when the car pulls to a side, it isn't the force of the wing nut making it move. It is an unbalance of the wheels on the surface of the floor. The wheel on the side of the wing nut may be a fraction of a fraction of an inch more in contact than the other wheel making it pull to a side. Even if you make the perfect car, uneven floors are also at fault. If there is a small indentation in the floor right where you are attempting to stop puts all of the braking power in one wheel causing it to pull to that side. It is very hard to keep all four wheels of a vehicle in constant contact with the floor throughout the entire run. Only when it brakes does it really matter though.
...and the bugs shall rule the world!!!
nxtscholar
State: NJ

Post by nxtscholar »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the physics behind it was that having a more gradual braking system, even if the delay is slight, would help minimize skid. When the wheels are rolling, static friction takes place. But when the car skids due to a sudden brake, kinetic friction takes place, which is significantly weaker than static friction. Thus the car more prone to swerving due to less stability provided by the friction in decelerating the car.
lmatkovic3
State: GA

Post by lmatkovic3 »

The issue with that logic is that it assumes that the wheels are perfectly rigid bodies that do not deform when a force is applied. The braking delay can slow down the car and make it less competitive while there are more effective ways of eliminating the skid almost entirely without sacrificing performance.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

But it doesn't matter if you use the last .5m to slow down this year since you're only timed from .2m to 8.2m and the minimum distance is 8.7m.

There's definitely other methods, but I think the simplest is a spring or washers (not sure how consistent washers are) where the nut hits the stop.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

My falling mass is a cylindrical lead mass.The lead is exposed, obviously, but I am concerned if a judge would consider this hazardous. Chalker, what is your opinion on this?
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:My falling mass is a cylindrical lead mass.The lead is exposed, obviously, but I am concerned if a judge would consider this hazardous. Chalker, what is your opinion on this?
If there is lead, it's usually a harzard. Lead is generally considered a hazardous substance by Science Olympiad.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:My falling mass is a cylindrical lead mass.The lead is exposed, obviously, but I am concerned if a judge would consider this hazardous. Chalker, what is your opinion on this?
You probably have to make the final decision on how dangerous it is. What do you mean by "it's exposed"? Basically, if it can harm someone very easily, then it's a big deal. If by exposed you mean just that as long as people aren't under or next to the thing during launch...I mean, lots of people use falling masses, so...in either case, what's the exact concern? Usually the rule of thumb is if you're not sure it's legal spend time making it legal.

Edit: Also, didn't think you meant the lead itself was the problem. If that's the issue, just get another mass (there's tons of things you can use).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2014 Build Events”