Scrambler C

bearasauras
State: CA

Re: Scrambler C

Post by bearasauras »

That's a very interesting idea of having the scrambler push the egg out to some distance and then drop the egg and go back to the starting line.
nxtscholar
Division: Grad
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by nxtscholar »

Meh. I'm all open for new challenges. But considering that only 7 people in my state tournament (out of 26) didn't get tiered at the tournament with the current rules...I think the current challenge of just trying to reach the target line is already hard enough for some.

But hey, like I said, I'm up for the challenge :P
BuildistFromTheNorth
Division: C

Post by BuildistFromTheNorth »

I highly doubt they would make the car go backwards cause the whole point of the event is to power it with a falling mass and you would need some sort of energy propulsion to get you back. It made more sense for mousetrap because the energy system was already on the car and to make it go backwards you just added another one. Not saying it was easy but it fit the premise of the event.
Mira Loma High School
Scrambler, Air Trajectory, Geo Mapping, Bungee
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

thsom wrote:Hey guys I know it's been a while but at Illinois scioly State the distance given was 9.0 meters and I am wondering if that would be something allowed for next year? The states distances are supposed to be chosen from intervals of .5 meters but the director said that it never specified in the rules what the starting point of the .5 m would be. They are correct in that. The rules does not say it must be one of the distances that are in .5 m increments from 8.7 meters to 11.7 meters. Is there a way there could be a portion in the rules for next year that could make sure something like this does not happen again?
Scrambler Rules 3.d.
The Terminal Barrier must be located at a chosen distance 8.70-11.70 m from the Starting Line in 1.00 m intervals for Regional, 0.50 m intervals for State and 0.10 m intervals for the National Tournaments.

Honestly, I'm not sure how one would make this more clear.
nxtscholar

Post by nxtscholar »

penclspinner wrote:
thsom wrote:Hey guys I know it's been a while but at Illinois scioly State the distance given was 9.0 meters and I am wondering if that would be something allowed for next year? The states distances are supposed to be chosen from intervals of .5 meters but the director said that it never specified in the rules what the starting point of the .5 m would be. They are correct in that. The rules does not say it must be one of the distances that are in .5 m increments from 8.7 meters to 11.7 meters. Is there a way there could be a portion in the rules for next year that could make sure something like this does not happen again?
Scrambler Rules 3.d.
The Terminal Barrier must be located at a chosen distance 8.70-11.70 m from the Starting Line in 1.00 m intervals for Regional, 0.50 m intervals for State and 0.10 m intervals for the National Tournaments.

Honestly, I'm not sure how one would make this more clear.
Maybe to us it's clear that this isn't what was intended by the rules. But at the same time, it's not like 3d explicitly states that 8.7 is the minimum value from which we measure all greater increments. The fact that things like this occur does call for a better wording. Maybe we don't literally need to spell out all of the possible distances at each level, but that's certainly one way to make it clearer.
BuildistFromTheNorth wrote:I highly doubt they would make the car go backwards cause the whole point of the event is to power it with a falling mass and you would need some sort of energy propulsion to get you back. It made more sense for mousetrap because the energy system was already on the car and to make it go backwards you just added another one. Not saying it was easy but it fit the premise of the event.
I can think of 2 possible ways to convert the KE of the vehicle into elastic PE while in motion, which in turn can be converted to KE to move the vehicle back.

Makes more sense is relative to everyone. The whole point of even doing the challenge, should they actually go through with it, would be to encourage us to explore and find a way to do it using just the original GPE of the falling mass, because you're right, it's not easy to figure out a way to do it. And it's precisely because it's too hard, when the original challenge from this year was hard for most people, that I don't think they'll go through with it. But hey, where there's a will, there's a way :P
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

nxtscholar wrote: Now that I think about, rather than getting rid of the rule allowing the egg to touch the end barrier, I think it'd be interesting if they made it mandatory to actually make contact with it. That would leave open many new considerations like how fast can a scrambler travel, the overall design, etc. In my mind, it'd actually encourage and reward those who tested to make sure the egg would survive impact.

Sorry if I missed something, but where was a rule saying the egg couldn't touch the barrier? The only rule I noticed was if it cracked and leaked you were done.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
bearasauras

Post by bearasauras »

What's considered the egg touching the wall?
nxtscholar

Post by nxtscholar »

iwonder wrote:
nxtscholar wrote: Now that I think about, rather than getting rid of the rule allowing the egg to touch the end barrier, I think it'd be interesting if they made it mandatory to actually make contact with it. That would leave open many new considerations like how fast can a scrambler travel, the overall design, etc. In my mind, it'd actually encourage and reward those who tested to make sure the egg would survive impact.

Sorry if I missed something, but where was a rule saying the egg couldn't touch the barrier? The only rule I noticed was if it cracked and leaked you were done.
Oh, you didn't miss anything. What I was saying was that rather than giving the option for someone to touch the wall, it'd be interesting if they made it a requirement. That would introduce some new limits as to how fast a vehicle can travel and survive impact, design changes to perhaps control speed, etc. My point was that by making it a requirement, it provides even more incentive and rewards for teams that test their scramblers to perfection

@bearasaurus: Touching the wall is exactly that, where the egg at the front of the egg transport makes contact with the wall.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

Ahhhh, or I just put the spring back on my vehicle :P

But that would be a really good challenge actually.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
blakinator8

Post by blakinator8 »

One other change that I could see would be similar to what happened with Maglev- Having the vehicle always go the same distance, and instead of being as fast as possible, have a 'target time'. For example, the distance might always be 10 meters, but there's a time window of 5-15 seconds that you have to be able to achieve.
Proud member of the Liberal Arts and Science Academy team, 2012-2015

Return to “2014 Build Events”