Scrambler C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Scrambler C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
number_cruncher
Division: C
State: MO
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler C

Post by number_cruncher »

Watching the animated pulley system is great, but how does one get the pulley cable to detach from the vehicle?
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

I think most of the time it relies on a hook and ring that slips off of the vehicle after the vehicle passes the point where it should detach. I assume you're talking about the animation on the wiki?
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
number_cruncher
State: MO

Post by number_cruncher »

Exactly. Thanks for the feedback!
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

In Section 2.e. it states that the photogate system will be placed to be about 20cm from the floor. Do you suggest that a person make their dowel rod reach 30cm? I'm unsure about the actual height the photogate system will be.

Also when it mentions the attachment of the dowel rod, does "permanently attached" just mean glued on or placed to that it cannot be easily removed?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

I think the rules meant a photo gate similar to the alarms in stores that's just a beam shined across the leangths of the track. At my school we don't have such thing so I'm not sure what we'll do yet...
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

A Person wrote:In Section 2.e. it states that the photogate system will be placed to be about 20cm from the floor. Do you suggest that a person make their dowel rod reach 30cm? I'm unsure about the actual height the photogate system will be.

Also when it mentions the attachment of the dowel rod, does "permanently attached" just mean glued on or placed to that it cannot be easily removed?
I would personally suggest making it a little above 20 cm, not necessarily 30 cm, maybe ~25 cm is sufficient. As for the permanently attached part, permanent means cannot be removed, so even if it cannot be easily removed it can still be removed. I would reason it would need to be attached to the scrambler in a way so that it cannot be removed (so gluing). Even though these are my interpretation of the rules, it is not the official interpretation. If you wish to find out the official interpretation, redirect your questions to http://www.soinc.org/frequently_asked_questions on around October 15th.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

iwonder wrote:I think the rules meant a photo gate similar to the alarms in stores that's just a beam shined across the leangths of the track. At my school we don't have such thing so I'm not sure what we'll do yet...
You mean like a laser pointer beam?
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

Yeah, exactly like that. And it's probably your best bet to make your device for the rules to the letter, it gives ES's a harder time second tiering you.
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

iwonder wrote:Yeah, exactly like that. And it's probably your best bet to make your device for the rules to the letter, it gives ES's a harder time second tiering you.
I was under the impression a photogate system like this (Image) would be used. At least, that's the photogate system we have in our school. The rules state, though, that laser pointers may be used with timer people, to watch for the flash as the dowel breaks the beam.

Return to “2014 Build Events”