ahoback
Division: C
State: KY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler C

Post by ahoback »

iwonder wrote:We're using a launching system too! :P

What's powering yours? A launching system is a pretty general term... Ours is a falling mass. No fancy springs or pulleys or anything.
So a hammer or push rod launcher, right?
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Yup.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
ahoback

Post by ahoback »

Correct me if I am wrong but are you all interpreting 4.o as: If you break the egg on your second run your first run score still counts without getting tiered. Thanks.
FawnOnyx
State: MN

Post by FawnOnyx »

ahoback wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but are you all interpreting 4.o as: If you break the egg on your second run your first run score still counts without getting tiered. Thanks.
Yep. Also the California workshop powerpoint from the national soinc website says that according to 4.o, "If the egg breaks, you are done. Go conservative 1st run and all out on 2nd run."
Mounds View Science Olympiad Alumnus, 2011-2014
MIT Science Olympiad Volunteer
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

Note that the presentations were made using the draft rules and if there are discrepancies between the presentation and the rules that the rules will take precedence.
jacobxc

Post by jacobxc »

Anyone with a launcher for there car having a problem with speed and it going the full distance. I'm having problems with it going to the 11.70m.
Real atheletes run miles not yards
ahoback

Post by ahoback »

jacobxc wrote:Anyone with a launcher for there car having a problem with speed and it going the full distance. I'm having problems with it going to the 11.70m.
Regardless of the type of launcher you are using you want to max out your potential energy and minimize both the friction in your system and the mass of your vehicle. The max potential energy can be nearly obtained by being as close to 2kg (without risking an event supervisor deeming it to big) and it being as high up as possible. Friction can be decreased by using bearings instead of bushings and running your all thread and wing nut through a tap and die to remove burs.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

I assume you're using a falling mass like you asked about before? Is your mass stoping at the lowest point? If not you're loosing energy in the velocity of the mass, depending on how much, that might be your issue.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
jacobxc

Post by jacobxc »

ahoback wrote:
jacobxc wrote:Anyone with a launcher for there car having a problem with speed and it going the full distance. I'm having problems with it going to the 11.70m.
Regardless of the type of launcher you are using you want to max out your potential energy and minimize both the friction in your system and the mass of your vehicle. The max potential energy can be nearly obtained by being as close to 2kg (without risking an event supervisor deeming it to big) and it being as high up as possible. Friction can be decreased by using bearings instead of bushings and running your all thread and wing nut through a tap and die to remove burs.
The height of the launcher is 1.94m, the weight is 1.966kg and we lubricated everywhere we didnt want friction. I do not know if i should use a tap and die on our rod because it is 3mm
iwonder wrote:I assume you're using a falling mass like you asked about before? Is your mass stoping at the lowest point? If not you're loosing energy in the velocity of the mass, depending on how much, that might be your issue.
It is slowed down 20cm from the ground but we are fixing that.

To add our car is extremely light so that is not an issue.
Real atheletes run miles not yards
A Person
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

jacobxc wrote:
ahoback wrote:
The height of the launcher is 1.94m, the weight is 1.966kg and we lubricated everywhere we didnt want friction. I do not know if i should use a tap and die on our rod because it is 3mm
iwonder wrote:I assume you're using a falling mass like you asked about before? Is your mass stoping at the lowest point? If not you're loosing energy in the velocity of the mass, depending on how much, that might be your issue.
It is slowed down 20cm from the ground but we are fixing that.

To add our car is extremely light so that is not an issue.
What system are you using? I'm assuming that you're using a pulley launcher?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Return to “2014 Build Events”