Scrambler C

Cheese_Muffin_Man
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler C

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

For those of you who have spring launches, how close are you able to get it? Our distance scores have been roughly 20-30 cm. Any closer and the car is just too variable.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Well, at states not too well... In practice we could actually get pretty close (<10cm), and we didn't actually have much skidding. (Our run time with photogates was 2.1sec, hand timed at 2sec) Probably because we were slow for a spring launcher, but my partner was super concerned about the second trigger firing so he made me take some of the rubber bands off... And our braking axle was 3d printed and not quite straight.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
DNAHelicase
State: IN

Post by DNAHelicase »

Hey, does anyone know what the winning run was at nationals?
_HenryHscioly_
State: CA

Post by _HenryHscioly_ »

also interested in scores for scramblers..
saw first place's run, but didnt get to time it. 0cm on second run....seemed like 2.5 seconds, very fast for pulley launcher? :D
2nd place was faster i believe...1.8 seconds? not sure on distance..10cm?
BuildistFromTheNorth
State: CA

Post by BuildistFromTheNorth »

_HenryHscioly_ wrote:also interested in scores for scramblers..
saw first place's run, but didnt get to time it. 0cm on second run....seemed like 2.5 seconds, very fast for pulley launcher? :D
2nd place was faster i believe...1.8 seconds? not sure on distance..10cm?
My distance score was 4.5 cm on my first run (the better of the 2) with a run time of about 1.7ish seconds (maybe 1.8). I forgot to ask about the time but I wish I had because my car was faster before I got to Nats but then once I got there I had some issues with the spring launcher. I think I fixed it completely but im not sure. (I got second btw :D) Also I did see the first place team and I know they got a distance score of 0 but i think there time was like 2.3 seconds. It was a pretty sweet car and system! Great job!
Mira Loma High School
Scrambler, Air Trajectory, Geo Mapping, Bungee
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

Anyone know what happened to the car that had a crazy time of sub-1 second? I want to say that it was Mounds View, not sure. If it was Mounds View, they only got 9th place (I think) with a time of below 1 second
BroNiSciGuy
State: NY

Post by BroNiSciGuy »

National Results: Track length of 9.9 m
(Place, Distance, Time, Score (rounded to 3 places))
1st, 0.0 cm, 2.3801 s, 11.901
2nd, 4.3 cm, 2.1524 s, 15.062
3rd, 4.4 cm, 2.1554 s, 15.177
4th, 6.6 cm, 2.6591 s, 19.896
5th, 3.4 cm, 3.3946 s, 20.373
6th, 6.5 cm, 2.8237 s, 20.619
7th, 7.6 cm, 2.6427 s, 20.814
8th, 7.1 cm, 2.8798 s, 21.499
9th, 14.8 cm, 1.3873 s, 21.737*
10th, 5.2 cm, 3.3189 s, 21.795

*Had faster time on 2nd run (and fastest of all National Scramblers) of 1.3626 s but SCRAMBLED egg....

See you next year!

National Event Supervisor, Scrambler
Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Regional Site Coordinator, Nassau West, NY
State Event Supervisor, NY
National Event Supervisor, USA
thsom
State: IL

Post by thsom »

Hey guys I know it's been a while but at Illinois scioly State the distance given was 9.0 meters and I am wondering if that would be something allowed for next year? The states distances are supposed to be chosen from intervals of .5 meters but the director said that it never specified in the rules what the starting point of the .5 m would be. They are correct in that. The rules does not say it must be one of the distances that are in .5 m increments from 8.7 meters to 11.7 meters. Is there a way there could be a portion in the rules for next year that could make sure something like this does not happen again?
A Person
Division: Grad
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

thsom wrote:Hey guys I know it's been a while but at Illinois scioly State the distance given was 9.0 meters and I am wondering if that would be something allowed for next year? The states distances are supposed to be chosen from intervals of .5 meters but the director said that it never specified in the rules what the starting point of the .5 m would be. They are correct in that. The rules does not say it must be one of the distances that are in .5 m increments from 8.7 meters to 11.7 meters. Is there a way there could be a portion in the rules for next year that could make sure something like this does not happen again?
I think that was something that everyone just understood. If the increments were between 8.7 and 11.7, it's pretty understandable that the values within were literally the only way you could have .5 increments and have it not have a .2 increment or a .3 increment somewhere. However, I can understand how the event supervisor pulled his logic from, and unless you were the first team to run, correcting the problem would have only led to more problems through the competition being unfair for all teams.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
thsom
State: IL

Post by thsom »

Right, which is why I was wondering if there was anywhere I could file a request to have this considered when making the rules for next year?

Return to “2014 Build Events”