Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler C

Post by iwonder » September 17th, 2013, 6:28 pm

That's the kind of photogate we have at our school too. But what are the odds that everyone vehicle will travel through both the start and stop modules without hitting them, and without passing by them? Also, to mount those would be a pain since most vehicles would allow the stand that's typically used, the vehicles would run over it and disturb the run.

Also, when I say laser pointer beam, it's a laser beam with a pickup either on the other side or a reflector and pickup, so it can detect when it's broken. Not just a straight laser pointer like is used for manual timing.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

ahoback
Division: C
State: KY

Post by ahoback » September 17th, 2013, 6:40 pm

iwonder wrote:That's the kind of photogate we have at our school too. But what are the odds that everyone vehicle will travel through both the start and stop modules without hitting them, and without passing by them? Also, to mount those would be a pain since most vehicles would allow the stand that's typically used, the vehicles would run over it and disturb the run.
Vernier: "The photogate can be used as a laser gate for larger objects. Laser pointer sold separately."

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder » September 17th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Except that our photogates don't do that.

bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras » September 22nd, 2013, 6:31 am

ahoback wrote:
iwonder wrote:That's the kind of photogate we have at our school too. But what are the odds that everyone vehicle will travel through both the start and stop modules without hitting them, and without passing by them? Also, to mount those would be a pain since most vehicles would allow the stand that's typically used, the vehicles would run over it and disturb the run.
Vernier: "The photogate can be used as a laser gate for larger objects. Laser pointer sold separately."
This is the type I've seen at a few tournament last year including Nationals last year. I believe instructions on the photogate setup should be posted on soinc.org in the near future.

jacobxc

Post by jacobxc » September 24th, 2013, 8:44 am

Anyone have an idea of what they are looking for in the part that is holding egg
Real atheletes run miles not yards

penclspinner

Post by penclspinner » September 24th, 2013, 12:29 pm

jacobxc wrote:Anyone have an idea of what they are looking for in the part that is holding egg
I'm not quite sure what you mean, could you clarify what you mean exactly?

And at some point in the near future there should be a pictorial diagram of the backstop on the soinc.org website under the Scrambler event.

ahoback
State: KY

Post by ahoback » September 24th, 2013, 2:19 pm

jacobxc wrote:Anyone have an idea of what they are looking for in the part that is holding egg
It should look similar to the image below in addition to a 1/4" wooden dowel approximately 20cm tall attached to the top center of the backstop.

_HenryHscioly_
State: CA

Post by _HenryHscioly_ » September 24th, 2013, 9:43 pm

where should I look to find good pulleys?

distance score = (cm)
time score = (5 * s)
Which aspect, time or distance, will be the main deciding factor for scores this year?
I am guessing, distance score?

Also, there is no estimated time score this year..any reason why?

penclspinner

Post by penclspinner » September 24th, 2013, 10:23 pm

_HenryHscioly_ wrote:where should I look to find good pulleys?

distance score = (cm)
time score = (5 * s)
Which aspect, time or distance, will be the main deciding factor for scores this year?
I am guessing, distance score?

Also, there is no estimated time score this year..any reason why?
Not sure where to find good pulleys, but I'd check the internet and local hobby stores.

As to which factor will be deciding the scores, it depends. It depends on your vehicle, how well you can run it, the conditions of the floor, what stage of competition you're at (Regionals, States, Nats), etc. Typically, from what I've seen distance matters more at the regional levels and then as you go up from there timing becomes more critical. You'll just have to do your best within the limitations of your device.

With the estimated time there was less of an incentive for devices to be fast. Now with the focus on absolute timing and the capability to do a better job of measuring it (photogates/laser system), the new meta will push for devices to run quicker.

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder » September 25th, 2013, 4:05 am

Also, the timing distance is fixed this year, so there's not much of a point in an estimated time. It doesn't change during the contest.

Return to “2014 Build Events”