Bungee Drop C

wjnewhouse
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bungee Drop C

Post by wjnewhouse »

YamiYugi wrote:Does anybody know if we are allowed to bring in data about our bungee? Equations for displacement, tables of displacement etc? Are we also allowed to bring meter sticks with us?
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to bring any data with you. At every competition we've used a calculator during our bungee prep time with no problem from any event supervisors.

And rule 2a says you can bring measurement devices so bringing a meter stick should be fine. As long as you don't, as the rules says, "physically alter" your cord I'd say bring whatever tools/measuring devices you need.
Alumni of Mounds View HS, MN

Check out the University of Minnesota Gopher Invite for Div B!

Past Events: Air Trajectory (2015 Nats: 2nd), Bungee Drop (2014 Nats: 7th), Circuit Lab, Elastic Launched Glider, Electric Vehicle (2016 Nats: 1st), Geocaching, Remote Sensing, Scrambler (2015 Nats: 4th)
Mathc314
Division: C

Post by Mathc314 »

I have a question about the physics behind this event...after testing our cord repeatedly and obtaining data for the length we must make the cord based on the height we're dropping from/the mass we're dropping from, my team has been trying to investigate the physics of the situation.
So here's my attempt at a physics solution: F=KX, so K=(Mg)/(height-initial cord length), but because the cord is a real spring, I'm calculating M by adding the mass we're dropping to one-third of the mass of the cord at that length. However, since our cord is made up of two parts, of which only one actually stretches, does anyone know of any equations or techniques we can use that will take into account the fact that the entire cord isn't stretching? Any help is appreciated; I think we've almost figured this out, but anything to make it more exact will be helpful (and I do know calculus, so if it does involve that, it's fine). Thanks!
"The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next." -Abe Lincoln
FawnOnyx
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by FawnOnyx »

Mathc314 wrote:I have a question about the physics behind this event...after testing our cord repeatedly and obtaining data for the length we must make the cord based on the height we're dropping from/the mass we're dropping from, my team has been trying to investigate the physics of the situation.
So here's my attempt at a physics solution: F=KX, so K=(Mg)/(height-initial cord length), but because the cord is a real spring, I'm calculating M by adding the mass we're dropping to one-third of the mass of the cord at that length. However, since our cord is made up of two parts, of which only one actually stretches, does anyone know of any equations or techniques we can use that will take into account the fact that the entire cord isn't stretching? Any help is appreciated; I think we've almost figured this out, but anything to make it more exact will be helpful (and I do know calculus, so if it does involve that, it's fine). Thanks!
Maybe a bit vague, but try thinking in terms of energies. For instance when the drop height and drop mass is provided, it may seem like two different variables you have to adjust for, but you could also think of it as giving you a gravitational potential energy.
Mounds View Science Olympiad Alumnus, 2011-2014
MIT Science Olympiad Volunteer
Mathc314

Post by Mathc314 »

Interesting idea...a couple more questions: at the point of maximum stretching, mgh=.5kx^2, so should I be using mass of the bottle at the bottom plus (1/3)*mass of the cord for the mass term in potential energy, or just the bottle portion? Also, is the best way to approach this to calculate k values for the cord based on each of our trials, or is there some other way this can be done?
"The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next." -Abe Lincoln
AH98
State: AR

Post by AH98 »

What materials are you using to construct your bungee device? I purchased a bungee from home depot before I realized that it would not pass the "elasticity" test. It is pretty much now down to me ordering the materials online, and I have no way to test whether the strand/rope would meet the elasticity test requirements. What would you all recommend to use in the bungee cord?

Also, I found a few formulas that are bungee related on this website: http://www.real-world-physics-problems. ... mping.html
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

have you tried using a spring or slinky? those usually pass the elasticity test easily, depending on the stiffness of the spring
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
AH98
State: AR

Post by AH98 »

I actually have not even put thought into non-rope materials, a slinky actually sounds really good to me. Marking it could be a problem though.
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

you could mark each ring, and depending on your desired accuracy, make more marks (like 8 on every ring, or 16 on every ring). watch out for fatigue
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
BuildistFromTheNorth

Post by BuildistFromTheNorth »

At one of the competitions I went to earlier this year there was a team that used a slinky. They got knocked down to tier 2 because it didnt follow the rule that states the bungee must return to its original length. I would advise against using that.
Mira Loma High School
Scrambler, Air Trajectory, Geo Mapping, Bungee
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

I don't see why it wouldn't return to its original length.

Return to “2014 Build Events”