Bungee Drop C

gladiusmaximus
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bungee Drop C

Post by gladiusmaximus »

Are you measuring height from the top of the bottle (N) or from the bottom (M)?

I am not asking for a rules clarification, but rather I am asking what have you all been doing so far? At a real tournament it shouldn't make a huge difference anyway...
jwalkotten
State: MI

Post by jwalkotten »

gladiusmaximus wrote:Are you measuring height from the top of the bottle (N) or from the bottom (M)?

I am not asking for a rules clarification, but rather I am asking what have you all been doing so far? At a real tournament it shouldn't make a huge difference anyway...
We had been doing it from the bottom of the bottle (M) but then our first competition (only one we've done so far) they did it to the top of the bottle (N) so we've been measuring to N ever since then...it's not that big of a deal but it is nice to know.
2013 Regionals - 1st Overall, 1st Exp. Design, 3rd Anatomy, 5th Disease Detectives
2013 State - 4th Overall, 3rd Exp. Design, 3rd Disease Detectives, 5th Shock Value, 7th Anatomy
gladiusmaximus

Post by gladiusmaximus »

Actually that is defined in the rule 4a: "between the lowest point of the bottle and the surface"

But what isn't clearly defined is whether the cord is anchored where the bottom of the bottle is or where the top of the bottle is. In the image below, the bottle is in the same place in both shots. The distance from the bottom of the bottle to the ground (which is what the rules say to measure) is the same. But the place where the cord is anchored is different.

I think it makes more sense to anchor the cord where the center of gravity is. This would imply the second picture is correct, since most of the weight is at the bottom of the bottle.
drifter601

Post by drifter601 »

For nationals height, (5-10 m) how are you guys testing at these heights? Unless you school has a place like this, I don't know where to calibrate my bungee cord. How does the Science Olympiad committee expect us to practice in such insane heights?
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

drifter601 wrote:For nationals height, (5-10 m) how are you guys testing at these heights? Unless you school has a place like this, I don't know where to calibrate my bungee cord. How does the Science Olympiad committee expect us to practice in such insane heights?
Buildings. With multiple stories. Also, you could just use a stair case that goes up 10 m.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
drifter601

Post by drifter601 »

chinesesushi wrote:
drifter601 wrote:For nationals height, (5-10 m) how are you guys testing at these heights? Unless you school has a place like this, I don't know where to calibrate my bungee cord. How does the Science Olympiad committee expect us to practice in such insane heights?
Buildings. With multiple stories. Also, you could just use a stair case that goes up 10 m.
Well obviously. But all the buildings that I can go to won't allow it due to liability issues (keep in mind, we're still dropping things straight to the ground). There is no staircase that goes up to 10m. AND has space for one to drop over the railing. I believe this isn't fair, since some students are at a disadvantage at nationals.
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

also you could use a ladder
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

chinesesushi wrote:also you could use a ladder
I do not recommend the use of a 10m ladder... We are running into the same issue of finding an adequate drop area.
number_cruncher
State: MO

Post by number_cruncher »

Suggestions for 10m drops. Top diving tower available at some Universities. Using a "cherry picker" in a school gym (the lights have to be replaced somehow!). Theater catwalks,

I would recommend looking for stable surfaces to drop from, and reinforcing your drop mass (bottle) with duct tape - otherwise, any contact with surface could risk damage to the bottle, and the contents spilling (BB's make a mess).

We built a surface plane using rubbermaid containers filled with foam rubber, and covered by tissue paper. This provides a bigger target from the higher drop heights.
YamiYugi
State: KS

Post by YamiYugi »

Does anybody know if we are allowed to bring in data about our bungee? Equations for displacement, tables of displacement etc? Are we also allowed to bring meter sticks with us?

Return to “2014 Build Events”