Air Trajectory B/C [National Trial]

olympiaddict
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Air Trajectory B/C [National Trial]

Post by olympiaddict »

I think the intention was for that to be read as "air pressure or [air] movement".
However that should probably be cleared up for next year.
jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Air Trajectory B/C [National Trial]

Post by jander14indoor »

General comment, the only way to make air move is to create a pressure differential. So yes, it will require air pressure. I suspect the wording is to keep overly picky event supervisors who may not understand that from DQing a device because they don't see an obvious place where there is pressure above atmospheric.

Not official, read the rules when they come out, etc.

At the committee meetings, it was clear the devices will have to start with all components at atmospheric pressure (0 gage pressure). So there will be no stored pressure energy components. Reason, safety.

The device must somehow convert the potential energy of the mass to air pressure/movement. Some of the ways I can think of. Put the mass on the top of a piston in a cylinder. Connect it by levers to a cylinder and piston, or a badder and piston. Connect it by string to the axle of a fan that it can spin up as it falls. etc.

Overall the idea is to 'throw' a projectile with air power. But idea is to limit energy available for safety to the potential energy of a 1 kg mass falling 1 meter (again, check those dimensions when the rules come out).

Regards,

Jeff Anderson
Livonai, MI

Return to “2014 Build Events”