Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Air Trajectory B/C [National Trial]

Post by Jim_R »

Thread for Air Trajectory

Event Rules
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Air Trajectory B/C [National Trial]

Post by JonB »

Is this going to be a division B or division C event? On the national schedule it is only showing as "B".
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

It may be that it only runs this year in division B for nationals, but I believe the thread lists B/C because at least some states are running it as a trial in C.
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

like CA. Does anyone have a working machine yet?
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
Buckstops
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Post by Buckstops »

It was a trial event at IL States for B and C. Short target was set at 5 meters & 1 meter high; the far target was at 8 meters. There were quite a few functional devices and many that looked like trebuchets that may have been used for previous years' events. I saw two B devices that hit both targets. Everyone was using ping pong balls as projectiles.
Buckstops
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn"
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Could someone explain what is meant by the bucket in Section 4 Paragraph f (I'm not asking for a rules clarification, I just have no idea what it means). I would expect for a bucket shot to earn points rather than lose points...
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
Fyren (February 15th, 2021, 9:06 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

bernard wrote:Could someone explain what is meant by the bucket in Section 4 Paragraph f (I'm not asking for a rules clarification, I just have no idea what it means). I would expect for a bucket shot to earn points rather than lose points...
Note in scoring that LOW SCORE wins. Thus taking points off for a successful bucket shot is a good thing to happen.

Also,as a note to any team debating whether to compete in this at nationals, keep in mind we are holding the trial events on Friday, not Saturday. And due to that we are NOT going to have an impound for this event, despite normally requiring one. We don't want teams that plan on arriving Friday morning to not be able to compete in it due to missing an impound.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
SOCoach

Post by SOCoach »

Is this the event they are looking at for b division next year?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

SOCoach wrote:Is this the event they are looking at for b division next year?
No. C division will have it next year in all likelihood. B will have 'traditional' trajectory (e.g. not requiring air pressure)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
joiemoie
State: MA

Post by joiemoie »

Does it require air pressure? In the event description, it says "the gravitational energy must be converted to air pressure or movement,". Does that mean that we don't have to worry about creating a pneumatic cylinder, and can just use the falling mass as launch energy? I think that would clear things up and be a lot easier.

Return to “2014 Build Events”