Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Reach For The Stars

Post by Pleiades »

This is my best event and absolute favorite event ever!!! The RFS test in my state however is very difficult.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME
Been thanked: 0

Post by starpug »

Pleiades wrote:This is my best event and absolute favorite event ever!!! The RFS test in my state however is very difficult.
I remember that from the old forum. This was my surprise event this year no one expected me to do that well let alone win.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Pleiades »

You have a good memory. Congrats on your surprise victory!! :D
My test was also full of opinionated questions. A few of them started with "What do you think..." Another question that threw me off guard was What was Henrietta Leavitt famous for observing? When i read that question i had one of those ' wow i know the answer but it's not coming to me' moments. While i was in my next event which was Crave the Wave i remembered what the answer was. I hate it when that happens. I was just completely unprepared for that test. I studied what was mentioned in the rules - constellations, stars, stellar evolution that stuff and then once i took it i noticed that it was nothing like that and had to take it all based on stuff that i watched on the discovery channel and science channel. We ended up only getting 4 questions wrong and getting 3rd place :D
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by starpug »

Pleiades wrote:You have a good memory. Congrats on your surprise victory!! :D
My test was also full of opinionated questions. A few of them started with "What do you think..." Another question that threw me off guard was What was Henrietta Leavitt famous for observing? When i read that question i had one of those ' wow i know the answer but it's not coming to me' moments. While i was in my next event which was Crave the Wave i remembered what the answer was. I hate it when that happens. I was just completely unprepared for that test. I studied what was mentioned in the rules - constellations, stars, stellar evolution that stuff and then once i took it i noticed that it was nothing like that and had to take it all based on stuff that i watched on the discovery channel and science channel. We ended up only getting 4 questions wrong and getting 3rd place :D
Good Job only missing four questions after not being able to study what was on the test, you're pretty knowledgable in astronomy. What was on your sheet of paper for the event this year?
Last edited by starpug on July 12th, 2008, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Pleiades »

I'm scanning my paper right now. I'll edit this post and put it in once i'm done. What was on yours?

Ok so it didnt come out in the scanner as well as i thought it would so its very hard to see. Anyway the first part shows all the constellations that the rules mentioned as well as stars and deep sky objects. The second part described stellar evolution. Then on the left there is the H-R diagram and on the right a list of the top 20 brightest stars. Underneath that there was a paragraph about magnitudes and conversions between light years, parsecs, and astronomical units. Underneath that was a few paragraphs about the different types of telescopes. That paragraph kinda got cut off.
The other side i put pictures of deep sky objects and their names and where they're located. The reason i included DSOs that wernt on the list is because at a practice meet the man running the event decided to ask us about other DSOs. I didnt know at that time that the ENTIRE EVENT for states would not be based on the rules since most of the practice meet was based on the rules.
sorry about the small font size.. inorder to fit everything i had to make it 5pt and it didnt really scan that well :lol:
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by starpug »

Ok it won't let me put it up so the first part had the constellations as well as the info on the H-r Diagram and the second had alot of stuff on the names of constellations and the stars in them and some stuff luckily on supernovas.
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Pleiades »

I'm going to completely redo mine for next year. Since i now know every constellation and it's main star i'm going to take that part out and i'm going to take the back out since i now know all of those DSOs. I"m going to replace those with random space info that could end up being on the test such as variable stars, red/blue shifts, quasars, famous people and what they discovered, and other stuff
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by starpug »

Pleiades wrote:I'm going to completely redo mine for next year. Since i now know every constellation and it's main star i'm going to take that part out and i'm going to take the back out since i now know all of those DSOs. I"m going to replace those with random space info that could end up being on the test such as variable stars, red/blue shifts, quasars, famous people and what they discovered, and other stuff
Good Idea I like it I'm just not so sure about it still being constellations it might change.
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Pleiades »

Not that my event coordinator cares.. he's probably never even read the rules :lol: At the practice meet last year he put some questions on it from the previous year when the topic was the solar system

Return to “2009 Study Events”