Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Health Science

Post by Pleiades »

What exactly was the difference between student manuals and coaches manuals/rule books?
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Been thanked: 0

Post by fleet130 »

Pleiades wrote:What exactly was the difference between student manuals and coaches manuals/rule books?
Simply stated, the Student manuals were $7 (in single quantities) and had just the rules. Coaches Manuals were $10 and had additional information for coaches.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
sawman15

Post by sawman15 »

For any of the study events, taking an AP class helps A LOT!!!!!!!!!
Especially since I did Health Science and Cell Biology last year, I did amazing just by taking the class. Studying would have helped a lot more too. The tests are detailed though.
2+2=5
ΣααΔ
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein
doctor
Division: C
State: PA

Post by doctor »

u will have to know how the muscles relate to the bones and how the bones are connected to the muscles but u dont have to know the muscles though
i think
Z
. Z
Z
( ) ( )
( - . - )
c(")uu(") MADA MADA DANE
2013 Events: Anatomy, Designer Genes, Chem Lab
doctor's Userpage
pb+ellie
State: NY

Post by pb+ellie »

Do you think we'll have to go as in depth that we'll need to know like specific names for each phalange, or just keep it general in the sense that the phalanges are at the ends of the upper & lower limbs?(i probably worded that wrong)and if there's an obvious answer to this-i'm sorry. i'm new to this event :mrgreen:
Anatomy: 12th
Forensics: 1st
Forestry: 13th
theoneandonly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by theoneandonly »

The Health_Science Wiki has been reorganized and updated for the current 2008-2009 season. Check it out and add your favorite resources or links to the 'Competition Resources' section.
ladaloop

Post by ladaloop »

Measure the heart rate of an individual from different pulse points
Measure the blood pressure of an individual with a sphygmomanometer (blood pressure cuff)

so i just saw this in the wiki, and i had read it in the rules and was a little confused. so we'll actually have to do this ourselves on somebody else rite??
Camden Science Olympiad 2009-8th in the state!!!

Cell Bio-1st at regionals
Experimental-2nd at regionals, 7th at states
Health Science-2nd at regionals, 9th at states
Junkyard-4th at regionals
Technical-4th at states
Solar Power-9th at states
theoneandonly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by theoneandonly »

ladaloop wrote:Measure the heart rate of an individual from different pulse points
Measure the blood pressure of an individual with a sphygmomanometer (blood pressure cuff)
In a competition, I've never had to actually take someone's blood pressure or pulse, but they have had free-response questions that ask you to explain or describe the steps required to take a blood pressure and what the sounds you hear represent at the vascular level. Learning how to actually do it just helps you more fully answer those kinds of questions.
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by Deeisenberg »

sawman15 wrote:For any of the study events, taking an AP class helps A LOT!!!!!!!!!
Especially since I did Health Science and Cell Biology last year, I did amazing just by taking the class. Studying would have helped a lot more too. The tests are detailed though.
I think that is overgeneralizing greatly. Depending on your level of competition, no class will be enough if you don't study extra things like crazy. First off you are assuming that you have a good teacher and the course content matches exceptionally well, and second off you are assuming that the test will be at a college freshman level, which is sometimes signifigantly lower than certain scioly tests.
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
sciolykid101
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

inuyashakusho wrote:
sawman15 wrote:For any of the study events, taking an AP class helps A LOT!!!!!!!!!
I think that is overgeneralizing greatly. Depending on your level of competition, no class will be enough if you don't study extra things like crazy. First off you are assuming that you have a good teacher and the course content matches exceptionally well, and second off you are assuming that the test will be at a college freshman level, which is sometimes signifigantly lower than certain scioly tests.
Then, what levels are Div. C Science Olympiad Tests at Nationals?
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image

Return to “2009 Study Events”