Anatomy

User avatar
sewforlife
Member
Member
Posts: 350
Joined: March 26th, 2009, 1:22 pm
Division: B
State: -
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby sewforlife » June 3rd, 2009, 2:09 pm

kp9ssa wrote:in my tests, it was mostly fill in the blanks and short answer problems. it has a good chance of being stations (At nationals it has almost alwys been stations). They prbbly wont use powerpoint


wat was this about then?
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

2010. Be prepared. If not, you f(l)ail!

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM

User avatar
soobsession
Member
Member
Posts: 407
Joined: March 21st, 2009, 2:33 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Chasing butterflies on a circumzenithal arc.
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby soobsession » June 8th, 2009, 1:32 pm

sewforlife wrote:
soobsession wrote:
sewforlife wrote:Does anyone have the rules for the muscular system in anatomy a couple years back?
If you do, please pm me!


wouldnt distributing old rules go against copyright laws or somehting or another...idk...when was the muscular system? ill try to ask people who were on the team from that time.... :|


not really, I don't think. the copyright laws just don't want anyone mass producing the old rules.


viewtopic.php?f=24&t=196

"Do not copy/paste material from copyrighted works like the Rules Manual."

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Image
Image

kp9ssa
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: March 22nd, 2009, 7:51 am
Division: B
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby kp9ssa » June 14th, 2009, 3:23 pm

ya that would be a good decision
States

1st- Anatomy
4th- Dynamic Planet
2nd- Water Quality
2nd- Write it Do it

Team Overall: 1st

V2
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: April 11th, 2009, 1:41 pm
Division: B
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby V2 » June 21st, 2009, 4:01 am

How in depth do you guys think they're going to make it this year for the muscular system? :?: I've been studying like all of the 600 something muscles but I don't think they're going to test us on that much and plus, its hard to start studying if you don't know how in depth cuz you might either over study and waste time or understudy and have to go back and do stuff all over again...
Either way its not good so... :?
BDJH OWNAGE, COMMENCE!!!

User avatar
soobsession
Member
Member
Posts: 407
Joined: March 21st, 2009, 2:33 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Chasing butterflies on a circumzenithal arc.
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby soobsession » June 21st, 2009, 7:29 am

i kinda doubt we'd have to know all the muscles...probably just the major ones...

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Image
Image

User avatar
Arthur
Member
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Strath Haven High School
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby Arthur » June 21st, 2009, 10:34 am

what muscular diseases are you going to start studying?

kp9ssa
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: March 22nd, 2009, 7:51 am
Division: B
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby kp9ssa » June 21st, 2009, 4:12 pm

soobsession wrote:i kinda doubt we'd have to know all the muscles...probably just the major ones...


on the rules it only sed to learn the 50 major muscles
States

1st- Anatomy
4th- Dynamic Planet
2nd- Water Quality
2nd- Write it Do it

Team Overall: 1st

User avatar
soobsession
Member
Member
Posts: 407
Joined: March 21st, 2009, 2:33 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Chasing butterflies on a circumzenithal arc.
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby soobsession » June 21st, 2009, 4:17 pm

kp9ssa wrote:
soobsession wrote:i kinda doubt we'd have to know all the muscles...probably just the major ones...


on the rules it only sed to learn the 50 major muscles


rules? which rules?

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Image
Image

kp9ssa
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: March 22nd, 2009, 7:51 am
Division: B
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby kp9ssa » June 21st, 2009, 4:18 pm

i thnk there ar some draft rules on soinc somewhere
States

1st- Anatomy
4th- Dynamic Planet
2nd- Water Quality
2nd- Write it Do it

Team Overall: 1st

User avatar
soobsession
Member
Member
Posts: 407
Joined: March 21st, 2009, 2:33 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Chasing butterflies on a circumzenithal arc.
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby soobsession » June 22nd, 2009, 9:01 am

kp9ssa wrote:i thnk there ar some draft rules on soinc somewhere


erm...do you mind giving a link? i couldnt find them anywhere...

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Image
Image

kp9ssa
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: March 22nd, 2009, 7:51 am
Division: B
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby kp9ssa » June 22nd, 2009, 9:08 am

my coach found them.

im sorry. if i find them ill put them on here
States

1st- Anatomy
4th- Dynamic Planet
2nd- Water Quality
2nd- Write it Do it

Team Overall: 1st

User avatar
dvd
Member
Member
Posts: 64
Joined: March 11th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: SHHS
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby dvd » July 3rd, 2009, 6:20 pm

For the diseases, I'm gonna study the following:

* myalgic encephalomyelitis
* chronic fatigue syndrome
* fibromyalgia
* muscular dystrophy
* motor neurone disease

Those are the major ones in my mind.
2011 Regional, States, National Events
Disease Detectives- N/A, 3rd, 9th
Anatomy- 1st, 2nd, 20th
Microbe Mission- 2nd, 3rd, 4th
WIDI- 1st, 2nd, 38th
Fossils- 2nd, N/A, N/A
Compute This- 4th, 4th, N/A
Team- 1st, 1st, 11th

Medal Count: 32
Moving on to C division

RightorRong
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: March 8th, 2009, 1:57 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby RightorRong » July 3rd, 2009, 6:44 pm

dvd wrote:For the diseases, I'm gonna study the following:

* myalgic encephalomyelitis
* chronic fatigue syndrome
* fibromyalgia
* muscular dystrophy
* motor neurone disease

Those are the major ones in my mind.

???????????????????? Never heard of any of them. What are they?

User avatar
gyourkoshaven
Member
Member
Posts: 459
Joined: April 14th, 2008, 12:16 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: SHHS
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby gyourkoshaven » July 3rd, 2009, 7:24 pm

RightorRong wrote:
dvd wrote:For the diseases, I'm gonna study the following:

* myalgic encephalomyelitis
* chronic fatigue syndrome
* fibromyalgia
* muscular dystrophy
* motor neurone disease

Those are the major ones in my mind.

???????????????????? Never heard of any of them. What are they?


myalgic encephalomyelitis/Chronic fatigue syndrome- Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is the most common name given to an inadequately understood, variably debilitating disorder or disorders of uncertain causation. It is also commonly known as myalgic encephalomyelitis or ME.
Symptoms of CFS include widespread muscle and joint pain, cognitive difficulties, chronic, often severe mental and physical exhaustion and other characteristic symptoms in a previously healthy and active person. Fatigue is a common symptom in many illnesses, but CFS is a multi-systemic disease and is relatively rare by comparison. Diagnosis requires a number of features the most common being severe mental and physical exhaustion which is "unrelieved by rest", is worsened by exertion and is present for at least six months. All diagnostic criteria require that the symptoms must not be caused by other medical conditions. CFS patients may report additional symptoms including muscle weakness, cognitive dysfunction, hypersensitivity, orthostatic intolerance, digestive disturbances, depression, poor immune response, cardiac and respiratory problems. It is unclear if these symptoms represent co-morbid conditions or are produced by an underlying etiology of CFS. Full resolution occurs in only 5-10% of cases.

fibromyalgia- a disorder classified by the presence of chronic widespread pain and a heightened and painful response to gentle touch (tactile allodynia). Other core features of the disorder include debilitating fatigue, sleep disturbance, and joint stiffness. In addition, persons affected by the disorder frequently experience a range of other symptoms that involve multiple body systems, including difficulty with swallowing, functional bowel and bladder abnormalities, difficulty breathing, diffuse sensations of numbness and tingling (non-dermatomal paresthesia), abnormal motor activity (i.e. nocturnal myoclonus, sleep bruxism),and cognitive dysfunction. An increased prevalence of affective and anxiety-related symptoms is also well known. While the criteria for such an entity have not yet been thoroughly developed, the recognition that fibromyalgia involves more than just pain has led to the frequent use of the term "fibromyalgia syndrome". Not all affected persons experience all the symptoms associated with the greater syndrome.

muscular dystrophy- a group of genetic, hereditary muscle diseases that weaken the muscles that move the human body. Muscular dystrophies are characterized by progressive skeletal muscle weakness, defects in muscle proteins, and the death of muscle cells and tissue. Nine diseases including Duchenne, Becker, limb girdle, congenital, facioscapulohumeral, myotonic, oculopharyngeal, distal, and Emery-Dreifuss are always classified as muscular dystrophy but there are more than 100 diseases in total with similarities to muscular dystrophy. Most types of MD are multi-system disorders with manifestations in body systems including the heart, gastrointestinal and nervous systems, endocrine glands, skin, eyes and other organs

motor neurone disease-a group of neurological disorders that selecively affect motor neurones, the cells that control voluntary muscle activity including speaking, walking, breathing, swallowing and general movement of the body. Also known as ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease.


Really, could we live without Wikipedia?
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...

RightorRong
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: March 8th, 2009, 1:57 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Anatomy

Postby RightorRong » July 3rd, 2009, 8:53 pm

gyourkoshaven wrote:
RightorRong wrote:
dvd wrote:For the diseases, I'm gonna study the following:

* myalgic encephalomyelitis
* chronic fatigue syndrome
* fibromyalgia
* muscular dystrophy
* motor neurone disease

Those are the major ones in my mind.

???????????????????? Never heard of any of them. What are they?


myalgic encephalomyelitis/Chronic fatigue syndrome- Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is the most common name given to an inadequately understood, variably debilitating disorder or disorders of uncertain causation. It is also commonly known as myalgic encephalomyelitis or ME.
Symptoms of CFS include widespread muscle and joint pain, cognitive difficulties, chronic, often severe mental and physical exhaustion and other characteristic symptoms in a previously healthy and active person. Fatigue is a common symptom in many illnesses, but CFS is a multi-systemic disease and is relatively rare by comparison. Diagnosis requires a number of features the most common being severe mental and physical exhaustion which is "unrelieved by rest", is worsened by exertion and is present for at least six months. All diagnostic criteria require that the symptoms must not be caused by other medical conditions. CFS patients may report additional symptoms including muscle weakness, cognitive dysfunction, hypersensitivity, orthostatic intolerance, digestive disturbances, depression, poor immune response, cardiac and respiratory problems. It is unclear if these symptoms represent co-morbid conditions or are produced by an underlying etiology of CFS. Full resolution occurs in only 5-10% of cases.

fibromyalgia- a disorder classified by the presence of chronic widespread pain and a heightened and painful response to gentle touch (tactile allodynia). Other core features of the disorder include debilitating fatigue, sleep disturbance, and joint stiffness. In addition, persons affected by the disorder frequently experience a range of other symptoms that involve multiple body systems, including difficulty with swallowing, functional bowel and bladder abnormalities, difficulty breathing, diffuse sensations of numbness and tingling (non-dermatomal paresthesia), abnormal motor activity (i.e. nocturnal myoclonus, sleep bruxism),and cognitive dysfunction. An increased prevalence of affective and anxiety-related symptoms is also well known. While the criteria for such an entity have not yet been thoroughly developed, the recognition that fibromyalgia involves more than just pain has led to the frequent use of the term "fibromyalgia syndrome". Not all affected persons experience all the symptoms associated with the greater syndrome.

muscular dystrophy- a group of genetic, hereditary muscle diseases that weaken the muscles that move the human body. Muscular dystrophies are characterized by progressive skeletal muscle weakness, defects in muscle proteins, and the death of muscle cells and tissue. Nine diseases including Duchenne, Becker, limb girdle, congenital, facioscapulohumeral, myotonic, oculopharyngeal, distal, and Emery-Dreifuss are always classified as muscular dystrophy but there are more than 100 diseases in total with similarities to muscular dystrophy. Most types of MD are multi-system disorders with manifestations in body systems including the heart, gastrointestinal and nervous systems, endocrine glands, skin, eyes and other organs

motor neurone disease-a group of neurological disorders that selecively affect motor neurones, the cells that control voluntary muscle activity including speaking, walking, breathing, swallowing and general movement of the body. Also known as ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease.


Really, could we live without Wikipedia?

Thanks. No, I don't think we could.


Return to “2009 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest