Ecology

Bryant
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ecology

Post by Bryant »

well it was same in our state, i had five events but you probably can do more because from my experience most tests don't take up the entire block of time.(oh yeah, i skipped lunch during state.)
farewell..S.O.
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

Same in my state. My crave the wave lab took 10 minutes to complete but the thing is they dont let you come into an event after the block started. I spent the next 45 minutes finding where my next events were and talking with people back in homeroom. On the other hand my rocks and minerals and amphibians and reptiles events took the full 55 minutes to complete. Most people in my state had free blocks to go eat lunch but because i was fully scheduled i had to wait until the last block and once I got down to the lunch room there was absolutly no one there and no food left. All i had was some left over potato puffs.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

you really can't take more than 5 or 6 events. even if you do finish a previous event quickly, they wont let you into another event in the middle. i think the max at states and nationals is 7 (6 time slots, and experimental the day before)
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

I am going to have a really really hard time picking 5 events that I want to do this year. The top 3 are the ones that I MUST do and that i'm the best at. The events that I want to do are:
Reach for the Stars
Amphibians and Reptiles
Meteorology
Earthquakes/Volcanoes
Compute This
Mystery Architecture
Crave the Wave
Scrambler
Ecology
Pentathlon
Physical Science Lab
Write It/Do It
XC599
Been thanked: 0

Post by XC599 »

I feel like the tests for this event are never really what the topic of the year is over. I don't remember a lot of foresty or desert questions at regionals or even my state competition. However I do like this event.
6 years of Scioly What will I do without my Oceanography....Dynamic Planet!
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

XC599 wrote:I feel like the tests for this event are never really what the topic of the year is over. I don't remember a lot of foresty or desert questions at regionals or even my state competition. However I do like this event.
Ecology can be a rather difficult exam to write up and sometimes it's easier to write questions that don't exactly correspond to the test rules word for word.

Also, remember that the rule topics are always "suggestions" and that only at Nationals are the tests truly truly supposed to be based entirely on the rules. However, even at Nationals the event supervisor can not abide entirely by the rules.

It's hard to work around but the best way to do well is to just be prepared. (Cue Lion King soundtrack)
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by rocketman1555 »

ecology is probably one of my favorite events, though i have found that u need to know as much of the basic information as possible, then start going into specifics, because most tests don't have the specifics on them, especially about the biomes. i almost never remember the specifics about the biomes, just the general information that is needed on the test
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
wyosciencenerd
Division: C

Post by wyosciencenerd »

Ecology is definately my favorite event! I find it fascinating! It's because of this event that I decided to take the AP Environmental Science class next year over AP Biology. It's definately a broad subject but that's what I love about it.
"I feel less stressed already. Thanks science!" --Bree, Lonelygirl15

2009 State results
Cell Biology-1st
Picture This-1st
Ecology-4th
Environmental Chemistry-6th
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

Hopefully, you aren't expecting Environmental Science to be much like ecology the event because the focus is totally different. You probably actually learn more about general ecology in Bio II.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by rocketman1555 »

yeah, environmental science is more of a combination of ecology, environmental sustainability, and other earth sciences
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

Return to “2009 Study Events”