Pentathalon

Over9000
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pentathalon

Post by Over9000 »

sadistic_cottoncandy wrote:i love sports. and i really don't agree with the statement "sports have nothing to do with scioly." people run to their events don't they? and the fact that exercising isn't part of science....im not even going to go there right now. if you want a really good debate for pentathlon, go to the Society for the Discontinuation of Pentathlon thread. leave this thread for actual study for the event. :D
Quoted for Truth.

Do it.
Alternates Rule
GGuy5
State: TN

Post by GGuy5 »

sadistic_cottoncandy wrote:i love sports. and i really don't agree with the statement "sports have nothing to do with scioly." people run to their events don't they? and the fact that exercising isn't part of science....im not even going to go there right now. if you want a really good debate for pentathlon, go to the Society for the Discontinuation of Pentathlon thread. leave this thread for actual study for the event. :D
this is true, my man (or woman)
TN regionals 2010
1st pentathlon
2nd fossils
2nd write it do it
2nd experimental design
3rd dynamic planet
Go Berean
Go Vols
Hook em horns
how bout dem cowboys
emilyy18

Post by emilyy18 »

Both sides to this arguement are legitimate.. I agree that this is SCIENCE olympiad, so its not a place where you would expect to find athletic people, or a physical competition.. However, I do play sports, and I for one did enjoy competing in this event. Even for the not-so-athletic people, this event is a nice way to break up the day, because it is not stressful, requires little studying, and gives you a chance to break loose and run around a little. All in all, I think it is a fun event, and if the rules became a little more specific (ex. more specific study topics.. possibly basing questions off only a few different events each year? to help teams prepare) it would be a nice event.
St. Gregory the Great Science Olympiad 2009
[[ dynamic planet. road scholar. environmental chem. pentathlon. ]]

States 09
6th- Road Scholar
6th- Penathlon
12th- Env. Chem.
16th- Dynamic Planet. ugh we thought we did so good!
tigerman0828
Division: C
State: TX

Post by tigerman0828 »

thats wat i mean
JV Districts- swimming- 2009- 7th in 100 Backstroke
2010- 8th in 500 Freestyle
"Bad man punted baxter off a bridge!!!!!..."- Ron Burgundy- Anchorman
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

OK, but that's not really the point of SO. In SO you're supposed to study or build constantly and feel like you're working 24/7.

That was a joke. But still, if you want to do something to loosen up that's fine by me. In fact that is one of my favorite things to do when I have a free period. But to have it count towards a team score, that is the problem.
GGuy5 wrote:now eaststrousborg was arguing about an event he wasn't even in so he was kinda back-seat driving
Well, yes, but since it's an event it counts toward the team score, and SO is a team effort. I don't want the difference between my team moving on or not to be how good someone makes free throws.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
fli754
State: NY

Post by fli754 »

Sooooo.

Has anyone else here competed in Pentathlon? I'd really like to know what "challenges" they were given
sk8lynne
State: NY

Post by sk8lynne »

GGuy5 wrote:
crzyliljellybean wrote:ok the whole thing was stupid. but im rude? i dont even know u. and how can u say this debate is over if u just called me "hormonal?" but, w.e. im done :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
see, now that was just rude and immature (10 lols?!?; if you laugh like that for real you must be obnoxious), btw your own teammate called you rude and he knows you so i was simply agreeing with him

but yeah tigerman sports are fun
i'm also on crzyliljellybean's team...and his laugh is pretty funny :lol: (even our english teacher thinks its funny lol) :lol: :lol:
Events this year:
Picture This
Forensics
Disease
I am extremely mad that Experimental is not at regionals!
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

sk8lynne wrote:
GGuy5 wrote:
crzyliljellybean wrote:ok the whole thing was stupid. but im rude? i dont even know u. and how can u say this debate is over if u just called me "hormonal?" but, w.e. im done :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
see, now that was just rude and immature (10 lols?!?; if you laugh like that for real you must be obnoxious), btw your own teammate called you rude and he knows you so i was simply agreeing with him

but yeah tigerman sports are fun
i'm also on crzyliljellybean's team...and his laugh is pretty funny :lol: (even our english teacher thinks its funny lol) :lol: :lol:
Yeah, he does actually laugh like that.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
denmarksoccer
State: PA

Post by denmarksoccer »

No offense, but I completely disagree with the first part of your statement. Running to your events has nothing at all to do with sports. Being able to play sports has nothing at all to do with SCIENCE!!!
2010:
Pentathlon-1@ regs, 4@ states, 16@ nationals
Road Scholar-2@ regs, 8@ states, 31st@ nationals
Disease Detectives-2@ regs, 1st@ states, 5@ nationals
Bio-Process Lab- 2@ states, 11@ nationals
Physical Science Lab- 38@ nationals
Team-1@ regs, 2@ states, 19@ nationals

Moving up to C.
crzyliljellybean

Post by crzyliljellybean »

hahaha i actually do sound like that...thats the funny part! but im not obnoxious or rude (my teammate was joking....james?)....besides this entire thing was a joke. i dont even participate in the event, but its just that no matter how u place in other competitions, your score will not always be consistent becuz it is so hard to prepare for...and i feel that its kinda of a "childish" event...but w.e. u have your opinions so thats fine
top 4 events i want:
1. cell bio
2. anatomy
3. ecology
4. forensics

Return to “2009 Study Events”