Post by fmtiger124 »

what tasks did you have to do at nats?
sewforlife
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pentathalon

Post by sewforlife »

Yeah, I want to know what you guys did, esp. the trivia questions!
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

2010. Be prepared. If not, you f(l)ail!

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
sadistic_cottoncandy
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by sadistic_cottoncandy »

we had to:
1st Physical-use a nerf gun to shoot a wiffle ball thingy off of a plastic pole thingy
Academic-label the parts of a cell (the pic was in black and white, and we had to write the names of the organelles)
2nd Phys-use another plastic pole thingy to push a can of tuna into a taped area (you had to stand at the end of the table and push the can...you couldn't walk over onto the side of the table and push it along)
Acad-tell how some materials relate to each other(mushrooms, pencils, feathers, eggs, hair, pearls, and i think another material or two....i don't know for sure what it all was cuz i did the first part.)
3rd Phys-try and get a small ball into a cup (you know the things where you've got a kinda bowl/cup thing on a handle, and a ball is attached to it on a string and you have to get the ball into the bowl/cup thing? yeah, that's what it was)
Acad-label constellations
4th Phys-balance a beach ball on a small cardboard cone for about ten feet
Acad-figure out the width of a string
Team Phys-use a blanket to propel a beach ball through a hula hoop taped to a few chairs about seven feet away
Team Acad-use mirrors and lenses to get a laser beam to shine on both sides of a book
"Such a disappointment to the world"
croman74
Division: C
State: MI

Post by croman74 »

They put a lot of time into thinking some of those up. No hopping, jumping, shooting free throws. Complicated.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
fmtiger124
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

some of that stuff is almost unfair-those ball and cup things i can never get and ive tried so many times
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Phenylethylamine »

At the coaches' meeting, they said "all the physical activities could be done by someone in a brace for a twisted ankle."

Also, the teams had to choose who they wanted to do which station based on the physical rather than the academic tasks (which was kind of unfortunate for us, because nobody ended up with an academic that they were any good at).
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
sweetp

Post by sweetp »

i did the part with pushing the can of tuna. The other objects were a beetle and a cotton ball. It was actually harder than it appeared, because the matches not like "animal" and "plant" but instead two cellulose and two keratin items.
<3
sadistic_cottoncandy

Post by sadistic_cottoncandy »

Phenylethylamine wrote:At the coaches' meeting, they said "all the physical activities could be done by someone in a brace for a twisted ankle."

Also, the teams had to choose who they wanted to do which station based on the physical rather than the academic tasks (which was kind of unfortunate for us, because nobody ended up with an academic that they were any good at).
my coach asked about the phys activities for me at the coaches meeting. she said, "can someone with a herniated disc do the activities?" and the lady was all like, "oh yeah, sure. they should be fine." that made me happy, cuz i really love pentathlon and i would have been so bummed if i couldn't do it cuz of my stupid back.
"Such a disappointment to the world"
crzyliljellybean

Post by crzyliljellybean »

sadistic_cottoncandy wrote:
Phenylethylamine wrote:At the coaches' meeting, they said "all the physical activities could be done by someone in a brace for a twisted ankle."

my coach asked about the phys activities for me at the coaches meeting. she said, "can someone with a herniated disc do the activities?" and the lady was all like, "oh yeah, sure. they should be fine." that made me happy, cuz i really love pentathlon and i would have been so bummed if i couldn't do it cuz of my stupid back.
same with us. it was very unfortunate cuz we have this kid on our team who is amazing at Stars and there was constellations. but he didnt get it so we kinda failed at that.
top 4 events i want:
1. cell bio
2. anatomy
3. ecology
4. forensics
odonatan
State: NC

Post by odonatan »

These are the activities and the questions or tasks from this year's nationals.

Physical Stations:

1) Shoot a styrofoam ball off a tube using a Nerf pistol (these are the Nerf pistols that are single action, part of the Office Elimination set that ThinkGeek used to sell and Amazon still has).
2) Using a PVC pipe piece, slide a can of tuna down a table to stop between two tape lines. This is akin to shuffleboard. You can play at your local Dave and Busters, if you have one of those.
3) using the ubiquitous cup and ball toy, swing the ball that is attached by string to the base of a cup around and catch it.
4) Carry a beach ball on the end of a cone a certain distance, without dropping or touching it.

Team Task:

Using a twin bedsheet, propel a beach ball through a horizontal hula hoop from a certain minimum distance.

Science

1) Label an electron microscope photo of a cell with organelles from a list.
2) Given 8 items (egg, pearl, feather, hair, insect, mushroom, pencil, cottonball), create pairs such that each pair is primarily comprised of the same materials. (eg, pairs made of keratin, chitin, etc)
3) Label constellations (photographs with the lines drawn in) correctly, given a list of names.
4) Given a spool of thread, a ruler, a pencil and paper, determine the thickness of the thread.

Team Task

Using a laser, lenses, mirrors, beam splitter - get the laser beam to shine simultaneously on both sides of a book. (The book, by the way, was a Bible. it was in a church.)

Coaches and event supervisors next year will have available some more written guidance and examples that will help them prepare useful events and their teams. Events in this area are in rotation for 2 years at least, so Egg Drop isn't on deck till 2011.

Return to “2009 Study Events”