Pentathalon

RobCross
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pentathalon

Post by RobCross »

Does anyone have any insight re: the team challenge? I'm coaching the event, agree that the rules are pretty open ended; not sure how to practice for the team physical/academic challenges.
ichaelm
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

I just don't understand why they made this event. Science Olympiad is supposed to be SCIENCE! Each event should test only mental skills and knowledge in the field of science. Every single other event meets that specification. The thing about Pentathalon is that is provides a disadvantage to a short person who can't run, even if he/she excels in science. How can they do that? I just don't get it. If anyone can explain it to me, please do.

My coaches aren't letting anyone sign up for Pentathalon. They want us to focus on our other events first, and then before each competition they'll pick athletic (and smart) people who are free in that time slot.
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by haven chuck »

Our coaches are doing the same thing, not letting anyone sign up for the event. I think if teams are able to do this, than the event is far too easy, and will just come down to who knows a few random science facts on the day, and that isn't what science olympiad is about.
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

well think of it from a person who has no idea of science like no idea AT ALL. They would need a basic science knowledge isn't that what the event tests? sure theres the athletic part there are two possible reasons; obesity crisis SO people are trying to help, but the more likely on would be that field science needs some sort of athletics in it i mean you cant be a field scientist on your brains alone, heck maybe your going to have to run away from an exploding volcano then thats when this kicks in

so in sort you need this for field science cus you gots ta walk!
SO stressed!
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

My coach said that come March when he selects the team and puts people in events he's going to see which four people have the least amount of events and put them in pentathlon. I have a feeling that wont be me.
honey7

Post by honey7 »

its not that hard just be warned: if they make you do jump rope it has to be IN A ROW. i kept tripping over the rope and had to start over. also REMEMBER YOUR FORMULAS!!!!!!
SMiLeyES RoX :D :lol: :roll: :roll: :arrow: :| :cry: :mrgreen: :ugeek: :oops: HAHAHAHAHA SMiLeyES!!!!! fROM tESS
kylienaemiffx17

Post by kylienaemiffx17 »

hey, what types of questions do they ask in this event? how wouold you study for it?
little miss blonde(:
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by haven chuck »

There is absoulutely NO WAY to know what they will ask. Your best chance is to put the people who know the most general science knowledge, probably the oldest, on the event and maybe have them review the very basics from their middle school science classes. Other than that, it will be very hard to prepare for it.
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

look on the penatilon wiki it has the basic stuff and quizes you can take
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
hatter madigan

Post by hatter madigan »

robotman09 wrote:look on the penatilon wiki it has the basic stuff and quizes you can take
th wiki really helps a lot! :!:
From the awesomest person on earth![img]
smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “2009 Study Events”