Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Amphibians and Reptiles

Post by crabnebula143 »

JonnyC wrote: each for two years. So I won't be able to compete in it again :(
Neither will I. :cry: :cry: But thanks for telling me. :D

Good bye, A+R.... I <3 reps... GOOD BYE!! byee! :cry: :cry:
BC / Harriton High School
'We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved.'
'Having dined on their companions, they now lie at the center of the cluster, waiting for more food to arrive.'
sewforlife
Division: B

Post by sewforlife »

lol same. I tricked up my field guide so much! it literally grew from 2 inches to 3!
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

2010. Be prepared. If not, you f(l)ail!

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
Liv
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Liv »

This really stinks, maybe I will bury my field book.
jolzgrafe1
State: SD

Post by jolzgrafe1 »

hey, im kinda new here, and to scio. do y'all have any tips on identifying woodland salamanders and brook salamanders. They look very similar to me. Also, king/milk snakes are very hard for me to distinguish from rat/corn/fox snakes. Any help? Thanks!
crabnebula143
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by crabnebula143 »

Lampropeltis look like Elapidae (coral snakes). You can also distinguish Lampropeltis + Elaphe from the head.

I think you can distinguish woodland + brook salamanders by the fatness of their bodies and their tail.
BC / Harriton High School
'We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved.'
'Having dined on their companions, they now lie at the center of the cluster, waiting for more food to arrive.'
sewforlife

Post by sewforlife »

jolzgrafe1 wrote:hey, im kinda new here, and to scio. do y'all have any tips on identifying woodland salamanders and brook salamanders. They look very similar to me. Also, king/milk snakes are very hard for me to distinguish from rat/corn/fox snakes. Any help? Thanks!
for the salamanders you should look at the different patterns and colors to see what is similar/dissimilar
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
Liv

Post by Liv »

Same you mostly want to think about colors and scales.
Flavorflav
Division: Grad

Post by Flavorflav »

jolzgrafe1 wrote:hey, im kinda new here, and to scio. do y'all have any tips on identifying woodland salamanders and brook salamanders. They look very similar to me. Also, king/milk snakes are very hard for me to distinguish from rat/corn/fox snakes. Any help? Thanks!
It's not always easy to tell this, but Elaphe have a body shape like a loaf of bread - flat on the bottom. Most other snakes, including Lampropeltis, are round in cross-section.
sewforlife

Post by sewforlife »

SO? How was the Nats A+R test? not to bad I hope? :lol:

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
Celeste
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

The national Herpetology test for division C was really poorly organized. We had a bunch of different stations to go to, but no set time or order in which to go to them. Near the end, my partner and I had two stations left, but they were both full, so we had nothing to do except sit there and give death glares to the judges. We got 44th, though, which is still ok by me. :)
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)

Return to “2009 Study Events”