The Society for the Discontinuation of the Pentathlon

crabnebula143
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Society for the Discontinuation of the Pentathlon

Post by crabnebula143 »

I think someone should politely complain about pentathlon, and suggest its a bad event. Hopefully, after next year they won't have it again. :)
BC / Harriton High School
'We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved.'
'Having dined on their companions, they now lie at the center of the cluster, waiting for more food to arrive.'
Glacierguy1
State: NY

Post by Glacierguy1 »

I wish that I could be in B division this year to be in pentathalon.
SAVE OUR GLACIERS.
crabnebula143

Post by crabnebula143 »

why???
'We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved.'
'Having dined on their companions, they now lie at the center of the cluster, waiting for more food to arrive.'
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by haven chuck »

Pentathalon was a fun trial because it didn't matter. Once it counts, all the fun in it is lost
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
paradoxgirl

Post by paradoxgirl »

pentathalon is ridiculously stupid, and so is the fact that it is in the event listing for this year. it was an event before, and they brought it back because this is supposed to be like an anniversary year or something for SO, which makes no sense because they get rid of events because they are stupid, no onelikes them, or they have better ones, so why bring back one they already got rid of?????
Harriton High School Science Olympiad
Untrained_Doctor1

Post by Untrained_Doctor1 »

haven chuck says it all
pentathalon, involves no skill
its just luck and hope that you have a good day in that event
i shall join this movemnt
*A Member Of The Best Magsig Team Ever*

Division C bound....
crabnebula143

Post by crabnebula143 »

Quoting paradoxgirl:
THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE STUPIDEST EVENT THEY EVER CAME UP WITH! GUESS WHAT THE MOST CHALLENGING QUESTION WAS IN TRIAL? THROW A BEAN BAG THROUGH A HOOP AND POINT TO YOUR KIDNEY!
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

paradoxgirl wrote:they get rid of events because they are stupid, no one likes them, or they have better ones
For the most part, this is just not true. By far, the majority of events are retired simply to bring in new events. This is necessary because solutions (includes knowledge and lab events) are handed down from one year to the next. New contestants/teams feel they have no chance competing against teams that have mastered the challenge.

Other reasons include; necessary resources unavailable or too costly, difficult to find facilities to house event, lack of participation by teams and too many problems writing language to define the problem.

In the recent years, the goal has been to replace 25%, significant changes to 25%, minor changes to 25% and no change to 25% of the events each year. If applied equally to all events, an event be replaced after 4 years.

In the 23 years I have been involved with Science Olympiad, I have never seen an event replaced that didn't bring complaints that "one of the best events ever should be brought back" (this includes pentathlon).
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
sadistic_cottoncandy
State: MA

Post by sadistic_cottoncandy »

well...the thing is....i am a sporty nerd. my middle school was the smallest one there at nats last yar, and i think the year before that, so everyone has to kind of spread themselves equally. you're either 1. a nerd that focuses completely on their studies and extracurriculars, 2. a jock who lives for sports, or 3. a nerd who is also a jock....about 1/2 my team falls into this category. (it's not that one group thinks they're better than others- we're all really good friends- but it's just what you do) i am most definitely in the third category because not only do i devote most of my time to science olympiad and various other academic extras, but im also on my school's volleyball, basketball, and track and field teams (those are the only sports they offer for girls....besides cheerleading). so i guess what im saying is to not just assume that everyone thinks pentathlon is stupid....ive met a lot of people at my school, and at out-of-state invitationals that absolutely love this event.....as for "how do you study"....you've just got to have a lot of general knowledge about the events and hope it's enough
"Such a disappointment to the world"
zorbak5044
Division: B

Post by zorbak5044 »

i like this event. i like it that its more than just studying. you have to physically fit and active too
i dunno what to write. oh i know! wait never mind. hmm. ive got it! i shall meh a lot. no that doesnt seem like much fun hmm oh ive got it. if youve read this ive just wasted about 16 seconds of your life

Return to “2009 Study Events”