Remote Sensing

carneyf1d
State: -

Re: Remote Sensing

Postby carneyf1d » August 4th, 2008, 9:30 pm

this year my professor is Robert Braun, the same guy who worked on pathfinder and microprobe. IM SO STOKED! although the class will be hard as crap.

theoneandonly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Postby theoneandonly » August 28th, 2008, 2:35 pm

The Rulebooks are out!

Major changes to Remote Sensing:
- everything, i.e. the entire event is now based on global warming
- more mathematical/statistical analysis

What do you think about the new event changes?

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » August 31st, 2008, 4:12 pm

i don't have the rules yet, but from what you are saying it sounds like fun, though it sounds like it is more math based than it was last time
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby dickyjones » August 31st, 2008, 6:11 pm

I'm really excited to practice this event this year. I already know a ton about the topic so it should be fun. And all the rules say about the mathematical and statistical analysis is that it will exist...so might be a little broad, but still fun.

And that's a pretty huge change in resources. From a huge binder and some tools to 5 pieces of paper and a calculator. Any opinions on that?
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11

theoneandonly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Postby theoneandonly » August 31st, 2008, 10:53 pm

dickyjones wrote:And that's a pretty huge change in resources. From a huge binder and some tools to 5 pieces of paper and a calculator. Any opinions on that?

Honestly, there was never enough time to use the binder in competition anyway, because of stations, so it was really only necessary for specific launch dates and orbiter/rover technologies, which were rarely on the tests anyway. I wish they had gone into more detail about dune typing - I LOVE dunes. Maybe they'll use it this year with desertification?

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » September 1st, 2008, 1:57 pm

theoneandonly wrote:
dickyjones wrote:And that's a pretty huge change in resources. From a huge binder and some tools to 5 pieces of paper and a calculator. Any opinions on that?

Honestly, there was never enough time to use the binder in competition anyway, because of stations, so it was really only necessary for specific launch dates and orbiter/rover technologies, which were rarely on the tests anyway. I wish they had gone into more detail about dune typing - I LOVE dunes. Maybe they'll use it this year with desertification?

i was actually able to use my binder at state last year, of course we didn't do stations, so that might have been why

trophymursky
State: PA

Postby trophymursky » September 3rd, 2008, 12:13 pm

theoneandonly wrote:

at nationals and for the matter of fact states and regionals last year we weren't time crunched at all.
rip sounds of music

Sheogorath

Postby Sheogorath » September 3rd, 2008, 12:26 pm

theoneandonly wrote:

We didn't have stations, at regionals we had plenty of time left over, sometimes up to 20 minutes, but at states, the test was much longer and we didn't have enough time to finish. But the binder definitely came in handy for the multiple choice section, checking the answers I didn't know right out.
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2

tad_k_22

Postby tad_k_22 » September 3rd, 2008, 1:42 pm

Another reason binders are unnecessary with remote is that the questions at the stations usually require you to have a general knowledge of the subject and then apply that to the question, not know nitpicky facts. Therefore, you should already know everything necessary to answer the questions and a binder is not necessary, whether you are time crunched or not. This may not apply to some regionals/states where the events are run differently than at nationals but at nationals it's a true measure of your ability to apply your knowledge, not just regurgitate it.
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.

fernan

Postby fernan » October 8th, 2008, 2:41 pm

what do you know about dis event

tad_k_22

Postby tad_k_22 » October 8th, 2008, 7:44 pm

Not all that much.
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » October 11th, 2008, 3:06 pm

tad_k_22 wrote:Another reason binders are unnecessary with remote is that the questions at the stations usually require you to have a general knowledge of the subject and then apply that to the question, not know nitpicky facts. Therefore, you should already know everything necessary to answer the questions and a binder is not necessary, whether you are time crunched or not. This may not apply to some regionals/states where the events are run differently than at nationals but at nationals it's a true measure of your ability to apply your knowledge, not just regurgitate it.

that does work for nationals, where the rules are being followed closely, but at states they don't always have a good test, usually its fine, but its usually not word for word from the rule description

binary010101

Postby binary010101 » November 4th, 2008, 3:25 pm

Two comments:

1. For the resource binder, usually it's a sheet of paper or a binder, right? But why five sheets? (Specifically, why the specific number?)
2. The subject area is extremely general. Global warming encompasses a huge (and rather controversial) area. What exactly will we be studying for?
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

eak227
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby eak227 » November 4th, 2008, 9:34 pm

Look at glaciers. Just Google what the huge environmental signs of global warming are and figure out how you'd be able to identify them in images.
Ethan K
Valparaiso, Indiana SO Alumnus
Ben Franklin MS
Valparaiso HS
Harvard University 2012

Nationals: OSU '03, Juniata '04, Wichita State '07, George Washington '08 -- Team place: 22, 18, 11, 11

binary010101

Postby binary010101 » November 5th, 2008, 3:09 pm

Do any of you know of any extremely good sites for Global Warming satellite images? I can't seem to find any.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

Return to “2009 Study Events”