Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Remote Sensing

Post by Jim_R »

Table of Contents: Original Post:

Code: Select all

What do you think Remote Sensing will be like this year?
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
Earthsci_dude
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing

Post by Earthsci_dude »

Well, the event table said something about human impact on earth, i believe...
i'm sorta curious my self (cuz this is my event). but nobody will know until the rules come out.
I'd assume it would have a lot about climate change and such. possibly deforestation and pollution. So on the test, it might ask questions about the human effect from space. it might possibly ask about what is happening in a picture taken from space (such as deforestation, or ice caps melting and breaking off). and possibly will include pictures using infrared and stuff

i'm curious myself.. but i don't think this was ever a remote sensing topic in the past. so nobody really knows what to expect in it's first year.
[MCC SO - '04, '05, '06] [NN SO - '07, '08, '09, '10]

glue boy.
theoneandonly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by theoneandonly »

Yeah, we're definitely going to need to study false and real-color images of haze, deforestation, and glacial phenomenon.
I'm sure there are going to be questions asking us to differentiate between man-made and natural desertification as well.
Don't forgot those oil spills!
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

im sorry to ask this but what is this event? for what i've read it's process lab crossed with road scholar
SO stressed!
theoneandonly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by theoneandonly »

Remote sensing is the acquisition of information of an object or phenomenon with sensing devices that are not in physical contact with the object. In context with Science Olympiad, they are generally in reference to a heavenly body such as the Earth using satellite imagery. For the past two years, the event has focused on Mars, but it has returned to Earth for this next year.

Basically, the event is all about looking at satellite images of the Earth's surface and being able to identify the type of imaging used (infrared, false-color, true-color, etc.) and then being able to interpret the image. This may include identifying landforms, natural and man-made processes, or other specific phenomenon.
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

oh ok thats cool
SO stressed!
Earthsci_dude

Post by Earthsci_dude »

The Description right from soinc:
Remote Sensing (C) - Teams use maps and remote sensing technology to explain human land use patterns and the relationship of a region’s physical environment to the cultural landscape.
that's pretty much what it is i guess. each year or two they change the focus of the event. the last two years it focused in on mars. so pretty much we were asked questions about the formation and evolution of mars. we looked at maps and aerial photos and identify what caused that landform.. as well as comparing it to similar features on earth.

many people see this event as the division C version of 'road scholar'. The way the test is set up they aren't that similar.. but a lot of the skills used in road scholar will apply to remote sensing as well.
[MCC SO - '04, '05, '06] [NN SO - '07, '08, '09, '10]

glue boy.
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

The rules from 2002 "From A Distance" were on human impact and natural disasters. So the topics shown/activities were similar. This is the event I'm most excited about doing next year, it sounds very interesting and fits w/ my montage of depressing pollution events. :D

The rules from 2002 are up on this website.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
theoneandonly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by theoneandonly »

Interesting. I have a funny feeling the 2009 rules are going to be VERY similar to those 2002 rules. Thanks for sharing!
tad_k_22

Post by tad_k_22 »

This was also the topic for not from a distance but Remote Sensing in '04. Maybe '03 too?
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.

Return to “2009 Study Events”