YUSO
Division: Grad
State: CT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Yale University (YUSO) Invitational 2014

Post by YUSO » May 14th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Hello all!

I'm here to tell you about a new invitational tournament (Yale University Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament [YUSO Invites]) that will be hosted in 2014 at Yale University. We are still in the process of finalizing plans, but here is what you need to know:

Date: Saturday January 18, 2014
Location: Yale University, New Haven CT (70-minute drive from NYC)
Website and email: Under construction and will be up shortly
Participants: any C Division teams (up to 45-50 teams, first come first serve)

YUSO was designed to specifically appeal to teams in the tri-state area, most notably NY, to compensate for the lack of invitationals in the region that are within a day's round trip driving distance. But all teams who register on time within the team limit will be accommodated!

Please check back regularly for updates and feel free to message us on here (most questions will be answered once the website is up).

Good luck!!!
Last edited by YUSO on August 2nd, 2013, 2:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
For final results from our our Division C Invitational Tournament in January 2014 at Yale University in New Haven, CT, click here: http://yuso.yale.edu/2014-results

chia
State: IL

Re: YUSO Invites 2014

Post by chia » May 14th, 2013, 5:56 pm

YES :D
I'll be starting undergrad at Yale next year, and I was really disappointed about how few Science Olympiad volunteering/supervising opportunities I could find, so I hope there's a way I might be able to help out!
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

BroNiSciGuy
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Yale University (YUSO) Invites 2014

Post by BroNiSciGuy » May 15th, 2013, 9:08 am

Kellenberg Mem HS (Uniondale, NY) might be interested in this!!
Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Regional Site Coordinator, Nassau West, NY
State Event Supervisor, NY
National Event Supervisor, USA

YUSO

Post by YUSO » May 15th, 2013, 10:55 am

BroNiSciGuy wrote:Kellenberg Mem HS (Uniondale, NY) might be interested in this!!
Only "might"? We planned the date specifically for NYC & W/ELI teams so it's before their regionals. It was (is) our hope that all the NY powerhouses would attend. :ugeek:
For final results from our our Division C Invitational Tournament in January 2014 at Yale University in New Haven, CT, click here: http://yuso.yale.edu/2014-results

caseyotis

Post by caseyotis » May 15th, 2013, 12:37 pm

It's pretty far, but I would love to attend. Ithaca is about 5 hours away, but still. .-. I wish I could just go by myself and only compete in my events.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » May 15th, 2013, 1:54 pm

YUSO wrote:
BroNiSciGuy wrote:Kellenberg Mem HS (Uniondale, NY) might be interested in this!!
Only "might"? We planned the date specifically for NYC & W/ELI teams so it's before their regionals. It was (is) our hope that all the NY powerhouses would attend. :ugeek:
I think that the two explanation points demonstrate the excitement decently well. ;) There are still hoops to jump through, after all, such as tournament cost, transportation, and permission from the districts. However, I do think you will get a good amount of teams interested (although you should probably avoid the dates for other popular invites like Twin Tiers, PalMac, RCS, and Merrimack). Also, don't expect to get ALL of the powerhouses because it's very rare that EVERY powerhouse will make it. However, if you register with NSO and they put you on the invites list, you should get a decently good turnout.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

YUSO

Post by YUSO » May 15th, 2013, 2:31 pm

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:
YUSO wrote:
I think that the two explanation points demonstrate the excitement decently well. ;) There are still hoops to jump through, after all, such as tournament cost, transportation, and permission from the districts. However, I do think you will get a good amount of teams interested (although you should probably avoid the dates for other popular invites like Twin Tier, PalMac, RCS, and Merrimack). Also, don't expect to get ALL of the powerhouses because it's very rare that EVERY powerhouse will make it. However, if you register with NSO and they put you on the invites list, you should get a decently good turnout.
Noted; thanks for the tips. We've been in contact with Twin Tiers, and unfortunately due to scheduling logistics, both sites will be holding it on this date above. Hopefully that doesn't change much, as they said they turn away teams every year and we have 1.5x their capacity. The "all" was an exaggeration and used for effect; the point is to just let any team in the region that doesn't normally get to go to invites to go to one!

caseyotis

Post by caseyotis » May 15th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Wait - can I compete by myself, or do I have to have a team and a coach and the like?
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”

YUSO

Post by YUSO » May 15th, 2013, 4:14 pm

caseyotis wrote:Wait - can I compete by myself, or do I have to have a team and a coach and the like?
An invitational tournament is no different from any other SO competition besides that the results have no effect on regional/state rankings. Everything else is the same, so yes, you will need a coach and a full team to compete.

So we hope your team can make it! Ithaca is not impossible; we already have teams from the Syracuse area saying they will attend. All it takes is a couple of dedicated parents to drive everyone down. Hotel information will be provided once our website is set up, and split between 15+ kids and families, rest assured it is very affordable down here in New Haven.

caseyotis

Post by caseyotis » May 15th, 2013, 4:21 pm

YUSO wrote:
caseyotis wrote:Wait - can I compete by myself, or do I have to have a team and a coach and the like?
An invitational tournament is no different from any other SO competition besides that the results have no effect on regional/state rankings. Everything else is the same, so yes, you will need a coach and a full team to compete.

So we hope your team can make it! Ithaca is not impossible; we already have teams from the Syracuse area saying they will attend. All it takes is a couple of dedicated parents to drive everyone down. Hotel information will be provided once our website is set up, and split between 15+ kids and families, rest assured it is very affordable down here in New Haven.
Oh, we need a full team? Bummer. I don't know; I'll run it by my coach that I've never met, but it's definitely not certain. It would be enriching for me to even be able to see the campus, let alone compete there. I wish I could just do that with my brother and my mom. >.<
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”