New York 2014

silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2014

Post by silverheart7 »

3starBlueberry wrote:I just want to reach out to the students in Ward Melville and Gelinas. I, and probably everyone else in this forum, have heard about the science olympiad- related scandals concerning your town. I know you're under a lot of pressure and scrutiny right now, and I'd just like to reach out to each and every one of you and give you a great big hug. You are all so strong, and I really do look up to youakk for your amazing results in tournaments. Even though we're technically competing, science olympiads have to stick together, and I'll be rooting for you guys at states, win or lose. Good luck fro, CP Weber!
Thank you so much for all of your kind words! Our coach is very appreciative, it means a lot to us. A great big hug from me in return, and I'm sure the team agrees! I'll see you at states, good luck to you and your school.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

Ok guys, I need your help.

I applied for a teaching job in Harrison School District (Lower Hudson), and I have an interview next Wednesday.

As a science teacher, my biggest asset is Science Olympiad, so I obviously want to talk about my experience as a competitor and coach. I want to show that I can offer the school my great Science Olympiad experience, but unfortunately, Lower Hudson doesn't seem to post their results. I want a little background info about the team (i.e. how they placed at Regionals), but I can't find the info. All I know is that neither the middle school or high school qualified for states.

Anyone from Lower Hudson know how Harrison (Harrison High School and Louis M. Klein Middle School) performed at Regionals?
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
Astroknight
Division: C
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

caseyotis wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:
quizbowl wrote:It was a little weird to give out medals to teh top 10 teams, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe that *almost* every single team walked away with one.
They gave out medals to teh top 10 teams? That's weird, they've never done that before.

I mean, I guess it's nice that more people get medals, but that seems really time consuming to me.
It definitely was time-consuming. And teh PowerPoints... :lol:
You should've been at Wright State (invitational) last year. They gave out through the top eight, and it took forever to get through.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
YUSO
Tournament
Tournament
State: CT

Post by YUSO »

gneissisnice wrote:Ok guys, I need Our Glorious Lord and Saviour Robotman the Honourable's help.

I applied for a teaching job in Harrison School District (Lower Hudson), and I have an interview next Wednesday.

As a SCIENCE!!! teacher, my biggest asset is SCIENCE!!! Olympiad, so I obviously want to talk about my experience as a competitor and coach. I want to show that I can offer teh school my great SCIENCE!!! Olympiad experience, but unfortunately, Lower Hudson doesn't seem to post there results. I want a little background info about teh team (i.e. how they placed at Regionals), but I can't find teh info. All I know is that neither teh middle school or high school qualified for states.

Anyone from Lower Hudson know how Harrison (Harrison High School and Louis M. Klein Middle School) performed at Regionals?
Obvious thing to do is to email the regional coordinator. I'll email the coach at Tappan Zee to see if she has a copy of the results.
For final results from our our Division C Invitational Tournament in February 2021 at Yale University in New Haven, CT, click here: https://yuso.yale.edu/results
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

Well, everyone going to States from our school is leaving tomorrow... So, good luck to all! I'll probably see you around. If you recognize me, please say hi!
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

silverheart7 wrote:Well, everyone going to States from our school is leaving tomorrow... So, good luck to all! I'll probably see you around. If you recognize me, please say hi!
Indeed. Good luck to all competing at Div B! Hehe, was reviewing Road Scholar and Solar System for those middle schoolers, guess I'll be curious how South Woods does for that XD.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

Great job at division B States, everybody!

Congratulations to Gelinas and Eagle Hill on first and second, get ready to have a blast at Nats!

I was running Rocks and Minerals, if any of you forumgoers were there.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

gneissisnice wrote:Ok guys, I need your help.

As a science teacher, my biggest asset is Science Olympiad, so I obviously want to talk about my experience as a competitor and coach. I want to show that I can offer the school my great Science Olympiad experience, but unfortunately, Lower Hudson doesn't seem to post their results. I want a little background info about the team (i.e. how they placed at Regionals), but I can't find the info. All I know is that neither the middle school or high school qualified for states.

I don't think the High School does it at all. Here's their activities page: http://www.harrisoncsd.org/index.php/cl ... vities-hhs
Science Olympiad is not listed.
The middle school appears to have a team, though: http://www.harrisoncsd.org/docs/lmk/clu ... vities.pdf
ReBobville
State: PA

Post by ReBobville »

Hi!

Did anyone here take the NYS Astro exam at NYS? I just took it as a practice test, and wanted to know what score is a good score. e.g. top team finished 1/2 of the test because it was REALLY long, or top teams finished ALL of the test without much of a problem. :D

Thanks! (and congrats to the teams going to nationals!)
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

ReBobville wrote:Hi!

Did anyone here take the NYS Astro exam at NYS? I just took it as a practice test, and wanted to know what score is a good score. e.g. top team finished 1/2 of the test because it was REALLY long, or top teams finished ALL of the test without much of a problem. :D

Thanks! (and congrats to the teams going to nationals!)
I shot you a PM.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”