New York 2014

quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2014

Post by quizbowl »

syo_astro wrote:States was very interesting I'll say. It's upsetting a bit, but I'll live. Quite proud of what we, and what I've done. Hopefully can still proctor or write tests.

The 10 medals was also interesting...But I think it was fine ;).

On another note I don't see an issue with the penalty...especially from what happened with Monroe Woodbury? They definitely informed the teams tons of times and honestly the issue with paper work is completely different from the one with unattended rooms imo. We've been booted to the cafeteria years ago when people were messing around in the room and I feel if that's true, I believe it was, then that's deserved. A ruined computer system or messed up room, after running regionals, is something nobody wants. I also think point penalties are better than a dq at least if I had to pick. My opinion is things that damage schools, people, property, cheating, etc that doesn't go with the code of conduct deserves a dq, else some alternative penalty. Sorry if I misunderstand.
Yo, shouldn't you change your division to Grad? :P
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
caseyotis
Division: C

Post by caseyotis »

quizbowl wrote:
syo_astro wrote:States was very interesting I'll say. It's upsetting a bit, but I'll live. Quite proud of what we, and what I've done. Hopefully can still proctor or write tests.

On another note I don't see an issue with the penalty...especially from what happened with Monroe Woodbury? They definitely informed the teams tons of times and honestly the issue with paper work is completely different from the one with unattended rooms imo. We've been booted to the cafeteria years ago when people were messing around in the room and I feel if that's true, I believe it was, then that's deserved. A ruined computer system or messed up room, after running regionals, is something nobody wants. I also think point penalties are better than a dq at least if I had to pick. My opinion is things that damage schools, people, property, cheating, etc that doesn't go with the code of conduct deserves a dq, else some alternative penalty. Sorry if I misunderstand.
D: D: D:
I'm going to be so sad when I have to do that.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
YUSO
Tournament
Tournament
State: CT

Post by YUSO »

quizbowl wrote:Could someone explain why Chaminade, Camden, and Benjamin Cardozo received fifty point penalties? @BroNi the Science Guy?
Also maybe because teams missed a judging assignment (i.e., the teacher wasn't present at the event to judge). Cardozo head coach had a personal matter for the day and only showed up before the awards, so he missed his Boom assignment. I am pretty sure they were supervised the whole way through.
For final results from our our Division C Invitational Tournament in February 2021 at Yale University in New Haven, CT, click here: https://yuso.yale.edu/results
YUSO
Tournament
Tournament

Post by YUSO »

caseyotis wrote:
quizbowl wrote:

D: D: D:
I'm going to be so sad when I have to do that.
Life on the other side is actually oddly satisfying. Actions have a much larger impact and it's really easy to still be involved. Take off the stress of having to take tests all day long, and I'd argue that it's better than being a competitor. Plus, there's no limit on how long you can stay involved (bottleneck being your lifetime…lol)
Last edited by YUSO on March 18th, 2014, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
For final results from our our Division C Invitational Tournament in February 2021 at Yale University in New Haven, CT, click here: https://yuso.yale.edu/results
YUSO
Tournament
Tournament

Post by YUSO »

Where you headed off to college? Come write for YUSO :lol:
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

YUSO wrote:
quizbowl wrote:Could someone explain why Chaminade, Camden, and Benjamin Cardozo received fifty point penalties? @BroNi the Science Guy?
Also maybe because teams missed a judging assignment (i.e., the teacher wasn't present at the event to judge). Cardozo head coach had a personal matter for the day and only showed up before the awards, so he missed his Boom assignment. I am pretty sure they were supervised the whole way through.
NYC Regional actually certified the unsupervised room penalties, so he knows whereof he speaks.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

I'm technically not a grad...but fine, the sad day has come ://////.

@YUSO, I'll PM you XD. Even if it's not as stressful and all, still kinda sad to never get to nats after all that...obviously stuff moves on, the scioly cycle continues (that is competitor->proctor/writer ;)).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
YUSO
Tournament
Tournament

Post by YUSO »

syo_astro wrote:I'm technically not a grad...but fine, the sad day has come ://////.

@YUSO, I'll PM you XD. Even if it's not as stressful and all, still kinda sad to never get to nats after all that...obviously stuff moves on, the scioly cycle continues (that is competitor->proctor/writer ;)).
You were just born in the wrong state. :p
JonnyL
Division: B

Post by JonnyL »

Anybody know what to study for states in Road Scholar? :?:
3starBlueberry
Division: B

Post by 3starBlueberry »

I just want to reach out to the students in Ward Melville and Gelinas. I, and probably everyone else in this forum, have heard about the science olympiad- related scandals concerning your town. I know you're under a lot of pressure and scrutiny right now, and I'd just like to reach out to each and every one of you and give you a great big hug. You are all so strong, and I really do look up to youakk for your amazing results in tournaments. Even though we're technically competing, science olympiads have to stick together, and I'll be rooting for you guys at states, win or lose. Good luck fro, CP Weber!
I AM NEAP. YOU ARE NEAP. WE ARE ALL NEAP.

ANYWHO:
2012~ 2ND IN WATER QUALITY (REGIONALS)

2013~ 1ST IN TRIPLE E (REGIONALS)
7TH IN HELICOPTERS
8TH IN WATER QUALITY (STATES)

2014~ 2nd IN INVASIVES
6TH IN ENTOMOLOGY

- DANIE
A PROUD MEMBER OF THE C.P. WEBER MS SCIOLY TEAM A:)

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”