New York 2014

Coach Marz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2014

Post by Coach Marz »

Stromatolite1 wrote:Never saw so much focus on cut-offs until this week. Are these changes posted anywhere? Would teams have known that 10 would be awarded going into this weekends competition?
Just to clarify. The info about 10 medals has been posted on the NY website since September. If your region didn't offer 10 medals and had over 40 teams, that means teams didn't register early enough. On a personal note, I think TOP 10 at states is well deserved. Athletes are ranked as All-State for being in the Top 10, why not us :)

New York Science Olympiad Procedures Adopted September 7, 2013
REGIONAL COMPETITIONS
Each region will receive, from the state office, trophies and medals for places 1 - 3. Regions with 20 or more teams may qualify for additional trophies and medals if they hold 20 or more events, including the two trial events, and score each team in at least 18 events. These additional trophies and medals include trophies and medals for the first 6 places for each qualifying region. In addition, qualifying regions with 40 or more teams will recieve medals for the first 10 places.
Note: This policy replaces Policy 2 under Regional Competitions from the June 15, 2013 list.
Last edited by Coach Marz on March 16th, 2014, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coach Marz

Post by Coach Marz »

Does anyone have the Columbia Coaches email address? I have some pics of the team on stage and I want to send it to them. Thanks in advance.
caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

quizbowl wrote:It was a little weird to give out medals to the top 10 teams, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe that *almost* every single team walked away with one.
Roslyn and Hicksville were the only teams that didn't medal, although the latter got a lot of 11th and 12th places.

Well, states are over. It's that odd feeling of "wow, Science Olympiad is over for the year". I don't want to study for next year but I also do. >.>
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Shad160
Division: Grad

Post by Shad160 »

caseyotis wrote: Roslyn and Hicksville were the only teams that didn't medal
Yikes. I know Hicksville had problems with getting the ball rolling this year, but I didn't see THAT coming. I hope it lights a fire for next year instead of having the opposite effect. :|
What happens on Alpha Lyrae, stays on Alpha Lyrae.
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

Shad160 wrote:
caseyotis wrote: Roslyn and Hicksville were the only teams that didn't medal
Yikes. I know Hicksville had problems with getting the ball rolling this year, but I didn't see THAT coming. I hope it lights a fire for next year instead of having the opposite effect. :|
They finished 28th if I'm math-ing correctly. Which is pretty rough compared to the last couple of years.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

Could someone explain why Chaminade, Camden, and Benjamin Cardozo received fifty point penalties? @BroNi the Science Guy?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
NYC Regional

Post by NYC Regional »

quizbowl wrote:Could someone explain why Chaminade, Camden, and Benjamin Cardozo received fifty point penalties? @BroNi the Science Guy?

Yes. In short, the reason why we are not invited back to Monroe-Woodbury, a site many felt was perfect for the State tourny, was that several teams were left unattended for extended periods of time in their homerooms. One student from such a team broke in to the school's computer and shut down the entire district's system for over 2 days. There were many words exchanged between Monroe-Woodbury, Sci Oly, and the school responsible and the end result is that we lost the site. Sci Oly does not want that to happen again as it is very difficult to find a site that is willing to host such a large event. It was made abundantly clear at the coaches meeting that any team found unaccompanied would receive a 50 point team penalty. The policy was in the original invitation letter, repeated many times, the rationale behind the policy explained, and coaches were encouraged to explain it to their students. Even with the repeated warnings, 3 teams violated this policy. Of the 3, there was minor vandalism in one of the rooms (although nothing that would shut down a district's computer system for days).
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

Coach Marz wrote: REGIONAL COMPETITIONS
Each region will receive, from the state office, trophies and medals for places 1 - 3. Regions with 20 or more teams may qualify for additional trophies and medals if they hold 20 or more events, including the two trial events, and score each team in at least 18 events. These additional trophies and medals include trophies and medals for the first 6 places for each qualifying region. In addition, qualifying regions with 40 or more teams will receive medals for the first 10 places.
Note: This policy replaces Policy 2 under Regional Competitions from the June 15, 2013 list.
I agree with this policy. At the SE PA regional there were 35 C division teams and medals were given to the top 4 teams. Twenty teams did not win a single medal, six teams earned only 1 medal (usually 4th place), and the remaining 9 teams earned the rest with 8 of those 9 teams moving on to states. Also many of these top 8 teams will be in the top 10 at states and traditionally the top 4 of these teams are the top 4 in our state. This makes it a significant challenge for teams to get a medal in our region. While I am not against challenging students, we should also think about the point of all of this. What will happen to those students on those 20 teams who did not have any kind of recognition at their regional science olympiad competition? Will they think that science isn't for them and pursue a non-STEM career? For an additional $100 in cost the top 6 could get medals and I suggest would be worth the cost.
Stromatolite1

Post by Stromatolite1 »

Seems off that teams left unsupervised get a 50 point penalty. Teams a day late to register are barred. Whats the penalty for teams that damage computers or caused minor damage this year?

How about a late fee for late registrants. Teams left unsupervised imposed a penalty from 50 points to DQ. Teams that purposely damage rooms are DQ'd and barred for the next year.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

States was very interesting I'll say. It's upsetting a bit, but I'll live. Quite proud of what we, and what I've done. Hopefully can still proctor or write tests.

The 10 medals was also interesting...But I think it was fine ;).

On another note I don't see an issue with the penalty...especially from what happened with Monroe Woodbury? They definitely informed the teams tons of times and honestly the issue with paper work is completely different from the one with unattended rooms imo. We've been booted to the cafeteria years ago when people were messing around in the room and I feel if that's true, I believe it was, then that's deserved. A ruined computer system or messed up room, after running regionals, is something nobody wants. I also think point penalties are better than a dq at least if I had to pick. My opinion is things that damage schools, people, property, cheating, etc that doesn't go with the code of conduct deserves a dq, else some alternative penalty. Sorry if I misunderstand.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”