Illinois 2014

HeavyHitter406
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Illinois 2014

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

AJTheGreat1729 wrote:I would not be surprised at all to see Grayslake going to Nationals in a short time. Everyone deserves to see their epic capes.
You know, they actually went to nationals back in 1994 and have never been since?
2014 (Wright State/Lisle/Grayslake/Regionals/State/Nationals)

Water Quality: 8/1/2/1/2/3
Experimental Design: 12/1/5/5/8/37
Road Scholar: 12/2/2/3/3/11
Wheeled Vehicle: 32/6/6/2/11/5
HeavyHitter406

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

I believe that competitiveness is a good trait to have, but people can actually work WORSE when under to much strain from coaches and parents. Luckily, I have so far avoided any coach in life who views winning as the most important thing and will stop at nothing to win (including yelling at their pupils). I believe that that has helped me develop a better work ethic and learn more, as well as have more fun. I mean, come on, who can work when if you don't do well you get kicked off the team? I mean, sure it might motivate you, but the point of this event was not to force people to memorize facts so that your school can have all the glory. This is supposed to be about the students, not the coaches, and it pains me to think that any coach of SO is in this for their own purposes rather than to get kids involved in science and learning potentially valuable information.
2014 (Wright State/Lisle/Grayslake/Regionals/State/Nationals)

Water Quality: 8/1/2/1/2/3
Experimental Design: 12/1/5/5/8/37
Road Scholar: 12/2/2/3/3/11
Wheeled Vehicle: 32/6/6/2/11/5
Le TARDIS
Division: B

Post by Le TARDIS »

Skink wrote:When I said 'step aside', I didn't mean they'd get second and opt not to go. I meant they wouldn't qualify. And my prediction was almost wrong but right, nevertheless! Congrats to S&A, though MM is in about the roughest position possible.
They're not in the roughest position possible...they've had wonderful opportunities for the past several years. It's nice that other schools who work just as hard are rewarded for their efforts. Wouldn't it be great if several schools had the opportunities to attend Nationals the way MM has for all those years?
Crazy Puny Man
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

Le TARDIS wrote:The problem with MM is that they always "expected" to win and were not gracious in the process at times.
I don't think you can make that claim if your only evidence is that they cried afterward. Just because they were disappointed does not necessarily mean they were expecting to qualify.

When I was in 8th grade and missed nationals by 1 point, I was very disappointed. I wasn't expecting to go, though, because my school had only gone to nationals 3 times in its history up to that point. Still, it didn't stop me from being bummed.
matthew101802

Post by matthew101802 »

Crazy Puny Man wrote:
Le TARDIS wrote:The problem with MM is that they always "expected" to win and were not gracious in the process at times.
I don't think you can make that claim if your only evidence is that they cried afterward. Just because they were disappointed does not necessarily mean they were expecting to qualify.

When I was in 8th grade and missed nationals by 1 point, I was very disappointed. I wasn't expecting to go, though, because my school had only gone to nationals 3 times in its history up to that point. Still, it didn't stop me from being bummed.
I agree. I don't think any team 'expected' to win, but they hoped to win. You can't blame MM for this, it was a tie for a bid to Nats.
Last edited by matthew101802 on April 13th, 2014, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SO Events 2013 (JV)
Inv/R/S
Boom 3/1/-
Keep The Heat 1/1/-
Shock 1/3/-
Pentathlon -/-/2

SO Events 2014 (V)
Wright State/Lisle/R/S/N
WIDI 7/8/2/29/39
Robo 7/1/1/9/17
Shock 2/1/1/1/9
Simple 12/2/1/11/26

Kaboom!
Total Medal Count: 20
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

@CrazyPunyMan
True that. I really don't see how disappointment suggests that you're not motivated by learning
I'm sure all of us can find instances where we felt sad about our shortcomings despite being passionate about something
Last edited by fanjiatian on April 13th, 2014, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

Just to put in my thoughts.

MM and SAA were tied, yes? Since the tie was broken by 1st place medals (keep in mind this is the first time something like this has happened where a bid to nats was at stake) they were extremely close. I don't blame MM for crying. I think for anyone to be in their position, it would be frustrating too because they were extremely close.

About the Nats thing, I don't see why middle schoolers shouldn't be allowed to go to state: there's a lot of pressure yes, but sometimes pressure can motivate. As long as it's the students motivating themselves and not coaches or parents that are the driving force for performing well to get to Nats, I don't see the harm in the Nats level competition for Div B.
peter, peter, peter
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

A few things. I've seen recently on the forums a lot of outburst on topics of people being emotional, people finding outrage with competitions, and people having issues with tests (not only this issue). I do think it's important to address issues, I know I have tried to in the past or else just said things and who knows if someone noticed. I don't exactly know the point, I don't exactly know the debate, but if it comes down to people being upset I can sympathize very well. I've spent six years trying to work hard on the club here, and at the end of the day I never got to compete at nationals. I did put in blood, sweat, and tears (all true!) at various points throughout my work. At the end of the day, I did cry for the fact that we couldn't get to nats. But it was also after all the hard work. After all the dedication, it wasn't enough, and that can be heart breaking. I hope that's understood. But I also have cried at the end of the day because of my team being so great. The fact that we can be so dedicated and have so much fun and that THAT's "over". I think if someone wouldn't be upset about that, then I'd be surprised. When my coach started saying we did such a great job, THAT'S when I was really crying. The thing is, even in middle school I could imagine teams being dedicated. Time heals all wounds, I'll say that much. Making large debates over it isn't necessary, and that can be done over PM, really.

I've heard things about people being overconfident. I've heard it about other times, I've heard it about people, etc. It doesn't matter. At the end of the day, whatever happened happened. People put in their best. Feelings are appropriate, but I have at least tried to take the time to think carefully about what happened, and I've tried to learn from it. I think everyone should do that. Not just losing, winners too. There's always a lesson or two to learn. I think definitely middle school may as well be allowed. I enjoyed the opportunity personally, even if my team wasn't great.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
matthew101802

Post by matthew101802 »

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:Just to put in my thoughts.

MM and SAA were tied, yes? Since the tie was broken by 1st place medals (keep in mind this is the first time something like this has happened where a bid to nats was at stake) they were extremely close. I don't blame MM for crying. I think for anyone to be in their position, it would be frustrating too because they were extremely close.

About the Nats thing, I don't see why middle schoolers shouldn't be allowed to go to state: there's a lot of pressure yes, but sometimes pressure can motivate. As long as it's the students motivating themselves and not coaches or parents that are the driving force for performing well to get to Nats, I don't see the harm in the Nats level competition for Div B.
Yes, we tied. I agree with you. I would have cried if I was in that position also. And middle schoolers should be allowed to go to Nats. The GeoBee is a Nats level, sand they give out 25k to the winner as well as broadcasting it on ABC. SO doesn't do that. Kids need to get more mature these days.
SO Events 2013 (JV)
Inv/R/S
Boom 3/1/-
Keep The Heat 1/1/-
Shock 1/3/-
Pentathlon -/-/2

SO Events 2014 (V)
Wright State/Lisle/R/S/N
WIDI 7/8/2/29/39
Robo 7/1/1/9/17
Shock 2/1/1/1/9
Simple 12/2/1/11/26

Kaboom!
Total Medal Count: 20
somexpdddw

Post by somexpdddw »

Sorry if this is off topic, but what are we supposed to bring for the swap meet for Nationals?

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”